Author Topic: mp4 full tagging and basic video support  (Read 5349 times)

Volkoff

Hi, I'm currently using MediaMonkey, but was thinking about migrating to MusicBee, as it's far more superior in many aspects, less buggy and has the best synched-lyrics plugin I have ever seen. The only things that prevent me from doing so are basically related to lack of video support in MusicBee.

My whole video-library consists of tagged mp4 files with two audio-tracks and (.ttxt) subtitles inside those mp4 files. Current version of MusicBee is able to read tags from mp4 files, but doesn't write changed tags in those files.

As for video support the only built in features I need, aside from video itself, are the ability to change audio-/subtitle-tracks and the ability to show/hide subtitles. I don't need built-in codecs, as I prefer to use K-Lite codec-pack.

I hope someday MusicBee would have this features.

Steven

• Administrator
i will look at writing to mp4 files (I am surprised that doesnt work already).
but for the video i am really doubtful i will do anything about playback of video other than whats already done ie. you can lauch an external video player

Volkoff

i will look at writing to mp4 files (I am surprised that doesnt work already).
It seems to write information to the library instead of the .mp4 files themselves.

but for the video i am really doubtful i will do anything about playback of video other than whats already done ie. you can lauch an external video player

Well, that could work for a single movie, but if you have a series you want to watch, you'd have to manually start every episode. That's no good.

And I think Video and Music shouldn't be in the same category in the library as they need different columns displayed.
Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:56:51 AM by Volkoff

Zak

• Global Moderator
Do a search on the forum and you'll see that Steven tried adding full video playback and tagging support to MusicBee about two years ago.

It didn't end well - there were too many issues trying to support video codec x with audio codec y in container z for a one-man freeware project.  :( Development has remained focused on audio management since.

Try something like XBMC or Plex for your movies and television episodes.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
one of the forum members has written a plugin to handle playlists or sequences of movies
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12419.0

And I think Video and Music shouldn't be in the same category in the library as they need different columns displayed.
There is a Video node that has different colums displayed - enable "Video" as a displayed node in the Layout preferences as its not on by default
Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:51:54 AM by Steven

Volkoff

one of the forum members has written a plugin to handle playlists or sequences of movies
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12419.0
Well, it certainly needs some work (though idea isn't bad). I think, to work properly, it needs to somehow bind MusicBee's controls with VLC's, so MusicBee would know, when VLC has finished playing, 'cause right now if user would skip some part of video, when the playback ends, the plugin won't jump to the next file.

Docking VLC (like Mediamonkey's video-player) and starting/closing it along with MusicBee would also be very welcome.

Do a search on the forum and you'll see that Steven tried adding full video playback and tagging support to MusicBee about two years ago.
I was there. I tried the plugin and it worked for me. The only things it missed were subtitles and the ability to switch audio-/subtitle-tracks.

Um... Are you serious?  ???

PS: and I think nowadays the codecs aren't much of a problem. LAV splitter and LAV codecs could pretty much play anything you want. They're actively developed, too.
Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:04:29 AM by Volkoff

Steven

• Administrator
you best post any comments or suggestions on the plugin topic as i doubt the developer will be reading this topic

Zak

• Global Moderator
Um... Are you serious?  ???
Yes. These are robust programs specifically developed for managing and playing television episodes and movies. You're the one trying to use a music program to play videos. :P
Bee excellent to each other...

Volkoff

Yes. These are robust programs specifically developed for managing and playing television episodes and movies.
XBMC: How can one make a program for managing videos and not make it see/write tags? With the same result I could just use Windows Media Center.
Plex: A video program that opens in browser and wants you to create some kind of online account to manage your offline videos? Really? Do they also need to know my license number while they're at it?

You're the one trying to use a music program to play videos. :P
No, I'm trying to use a library program to manage and play my music and videos. Steven (knowing that he actually tried to make the video plugin) doesn't seem to have a problem with that. Why should you?

By the way: there never was any more "music" program than Winamp. It played videos just fine in spite of it being a music-program.