Author Topic: Can you fix a ''corrupted'' part of a music file?  (Read 3732 times)

dylstew

I have a few songs where at some point in the song, you hear a weird noise for a split second through the music, or the music stops for a split second and goes on. It sounds like the file is corrupted at that part, for lack of better word . Is there any way to fix that?
On my phone the weird sound it makes on the ''corrupted'' part is even worse 0.o.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You could try the program MP3VAL, but you're probably best off replacing the file.
Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:12:02 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

I wonder if that's something "fixable." If repair apps don't work, I'd edit out that part with tools like Audacity.

Zak

• Global Moderator
You could try the program MP3VAL, but you're probably best off replacing the file.
This will only fix corruption in the file header - this usually shows up in VBR files with obviously wrong bitrates and durations (e.g. a three or four minute song might be listed as being 32kbps and three hours long).

A glitch or pause is almost certainly an error introduced when the track was created. e.g. ripped from a scratched CD.

As redwing suggested, to fix this you'll need to edit the actual audio data to remove the dodgy bits. It's not impossible, but depending on how bad the corruption is and how well you want to fix it, it can be a long tedious task. Audacity is good - you can zoom right in and edit individual samples to remove the glitches. Just remember to import your original file and save as a WAV before you start editing. When you're finished you can save back to MP3 or whatever format you want.
Bee excellent to each other...