Author Topic: MusicBee RAM usage?  (Read 4921 times)

V_shaft

Hi all! I'm a fresh MusicBee user. Been on Winamp for 10 years, and loved it (still do). Decided to try MusicBee after reading awesome things about it, and I was impressed enough to switch. One thing bothers me a little - the memory usage, as hinted in the title. With Winamp, I always got about 20-40MB. True, I didn't use it as a music manager, only as a music player. That is, I would simply browse my music folder via Win Explorer, find the specific album, and choose "Play in Winamp".

MusicBee I use as a manager, and have imported a music library and all. After the initial installation, I got about the same amount of RAM use like with Winamp. But afterwards, it just sort of jumps up and down (mostly up) without a recognizable pattern. For example, I could get 50MB. Then 80MB the next time I start MusicBee up. Then 60MB the next. Right now, it's at 95MB. I use a very minimalist layout, as seen in the screenshot below:

In addition, I have the iZotope Ozone for Winamp DSP plugin active and the Last.fm scrobbling enabled, and that's about it. I don't use any other features like converting, ripping, syncing with other devices, etc. I also use WASAPI output, if it makes any difference.

I know we're talking about a relatively small memory footprint in today's world, but I hate wasting resources in any case. So, I was just wondering what's the usual memory footprint of a basic MusicBee installation, and what can be done to optimize it?

Thanks.

Diedrict

Steven

• Administrator
memory usage depends on a lot of factors
- number of files in the library and artwork referenced
- panel layout used, and tabs opened
- whether the internal web browser is open in any of the tabs can make a big difference
- artwork size you typically store your album covers
- winamp DSP functions own memory usage
- functions you run eg. editing tags, auto-tag etc
- memory management by .NET itself can see memory usage drop down after a period of inactivity

As a guideline, in my own testing I would have said a 10K track library around 50MB, 40K track library would use around 80MB of memory
But your own results could deviate for the reasons above
Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:20:09 PM by Steven

V_shaft

I have a 5.5K library curently. My panel layout is as shown on the screenshot; very simple, only the artwork of the album shown in the lower right corner, that's all. I don't use the internal web-browser, multiple tabs, etc. All the tagging, editing and other function are done with different external programs. I use MusicBee primarily as a music player. I haven't noticed a difference in memory footprint when Ozone DSP is off and on. Right now, MusicBee is using 55MB of RAM.

Well, anyway, like I said it's not a big deal, really. I was more curious than bothered by the RAM usage. Thank you all for the answers.