Author Topic: Please HELP. MB keeps putting my music on my external drive......  (Read 34162 times)

redwing

Thanks for the update!

- How to delete existing rules from the dialog?
- If I try to move files to a new sub-folder of existing music files folder, MB doesn't allow it saying "that folder is used to store library files". But I can force it by typing the path, and it works flawlessly. Why does it not allow that?
- It doesn't seem that you addressed the issues I reported before:

2. When "add to inbox" is ticked for new files action, do not allow to use the same location as the one for auto-organization. Currently this results to files co-residing both in library and in inbox.

3. When "add to library" is ticked for new files action, disable auto-sweep option. For auto-organized library, this setting is bound to cause a conflict.

Steven

• Administrator
How do I define a mapping rule for a new drive without using auto-organise (i.e. I just want to use the Send To>Organised Folder command)? I suspect I'm being dumb, but I just can't figure it out.
i am not sure i understand the reason behind your question - just use that command and it will send the file to the folder you specify using the naming template you specify (as before, nothing should be different with this)

Steven

• Administrator
- How to delete existing rules from the dialog?
- If I try to move files to a new sub-folder of existing music files folder, MB doesn't allow it saying "that folder is used to store library files". But I can force it by typing the path, and it works flawlessly. Why does it not allow that?
- untick the checkbox on the left side of the rule. However there must exist one rule for each type of file
- can you provide an example of what you did

redwing

My music files are stored in here: D:\Music Files
I wanted to store audiobook files in D:\Music Files\Audiobooks but the message popped up if I use the folder selector (...). Typing the same path works though.

Steven

• Administrator
2. When "add to inbox" is ticked for new files action, do not allow to use the same location as the one for auto-organization. Currently this results to files co-residing both in library and in inbox.
although i can a slight flaw with files detected as being audiobooks or videos, when importing files MB either adds the file to the Inbox without re-organising the file even when auto-organise is enabled. So i'm not quite sure what you mean by co-residing - perhaps you could give a specific example?

redwing

Never mind. I was referring to my previous report as follows, but I can't replicate those issues any more with the new version:

- I ticked "add to inbox" option for new files action and selected the same auto-organized folder for the auto-sweep setting. Then what happens?  When new files appear in a monitored folder, they are moved to the specified folder following the file naming template. But for some reason there are duplicates of them in the inbox. So if new files are two, you have four in inbox. Send them to library. Only two can be sent, and two remain in inbox. Now right-click on those files. Send to library and inbox options are grayed out, which means they live both in library and in inbox. If you change the auto-sweep setting to a different folder, then this bizarre behavior goes away.

- Now choose "add to library" option for new files and select a different folder for the auto-sweep setting. As I reported in a previous post, new files are never sent to library, staying in inbox forever.

Pingaware

How do I define a mapping rule for a new drive without using auto-organise (i.e. I just want to use the Send To>Organised Folder command)? I suspect I'm being dumb, but I just can't figure it out.
i am not sure i understand the reason behind your question - just use that command and it will send the file to the folder you specify using the naming template you specify (as before, nothing should be different with this)

Yeah, I didn't explain it very well. Here's the situation:
I have two libraries, one on C drive and one on D drive. My C drive is my main one, my D drive is my kind of proto-Inbox library where tracks go before they're even partially tagged enough to go into my main library. (That's kind of un-related, but it'll help understand why I use two libraries and two drives with no cross-over). What I want to do is send a file from D:Music/Clean Files/Mp3 Files to C:Music/Music when I've given it basic tags while I'm in my D drive library. However, I now get the "No music rule for D:" under status when trying to do this using the Send To>Organised Folder dialogue. How do I stop that message appearing and thus get my files to move?

Hopefully that's clearer!
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
this should work:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

however, if your library is auto-organised (i guess not but just in case), then the auto-organise rules will take precedence
Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:35:27 PM by Steven

Pingaware

Yep, that's got it. Thanks very much Steven! And no my library isn't auto-organised (yet), but I'm sure it will be in the nearish future. Just need to get everything sorted to my liking.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Steven

• Administrator

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
the screenshots I posted earlier are from my auto-organise settings.
My MB library is on my W: drive
With my work-flow, auto-organise regularly moves the physical files to my S: or T: drive (not the library files)

auto-organise also kicks in if I make any tag changes for files already on those S: or T: drives

i have made the following changes:
- when sending or moving files into an organised library, previously files from a different drive were moved and organised to the drive the music library resided on. Now you need to define a rule first (MB will report an error if no mapping rule is defined)

OK.  I've worked out that with the new auto-organise, MB will no longer automatically move files residing on my W: drive to my S: drive when I send them to the Music Library from the Inbox.

So, I added drive mapping for my W: drive to move them into the base folder of the library (S:\My Music\My Music Library\) thinking that the rules I already have in place for S: drive would kick in and sort them.  No such luck.

Using Ctrl+R, I think that I'll manually be able to move them but, even though they are no longer on the W: drive, I can't override the mapping.
If I untick the W: drive mapping, the S: drive naming template takes over and shows the correct file re-structuring will occur. 

Proceed works fine and files are all nicely sorted and stored on my S: drive  :)

But, when I go to do my next album, I have to reload all the paths for the W: drive mapping again as, by unticking it before, it has been deleted.

Am I using a wrong work-flow for the new auto-organise or is it a bug?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
here is the panel

strange thing I found is that if I use File Organiser to move tracks to exactly the same folder
(without having the W:\ or Y:\ mapped)

auto-organise will kick in and move the files correctly.
Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:19:12 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
the above is certainly one of the scenarios i tested so it should work.

First off, the way it is coded to work is it will use the rule for W: so according to your rules it should have sent the file to: S:\...\Incoming\...
and added the file to the library. Is there any particular reason you defined the path and template differently between the S: and W: rules?
If thats not what it did, can you confirm auto-organise is enabled and secondly how are you sending the files from the Inbox to the Library eg. right click/ Send To/ Library or some other way - and what did MB actually do with the filename?
Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:27:47 PM by Steven