Author Topic: Please HELP. MB keeps putting my music on my external drive......  (Read 34151 times)

redwing

@djscottallen:

Probably this way would be easier. Install a portable version of MB on D drive and have music files auto-organized on the same D drive.

Ahhhaaaa!  I was wondering when someone would mention this idea.

This would be an excellent way to acheive this...... however, because I just did a complete transition from being a vinyl record dj to an all digital dj, I have to use digital dj software, which also means, if I want to sync my playlists of my media manager, I have to use iTunes..... another punch in the face from Apple. DJ software only syncs your iTunes library which must be in the DEFAULT location C:/users/username/music/iTunes.

Hence, why you saw my library being in the iTunes folder. I don't even have iTunes installed.
That's why this project is so important to me. Unless I want to buy a 1TB SSD... but I just dropped 1700 on this laptop, F that. hahah

I know the laptop. It's one of the best models currently available. Definitely a good buy!

I just saw your uploaded image. It's a fixed drive and you can have your music files auto-organized there. If MB won't allow it, try installing a portable MB on C drive.

redwing

I don't use auto-sweep.  I'm only using auto-organise.
All my new pre-tagged and checked Music files are on my W: drive.  When they get put into the Inbox, I add them to the Library (right-click> Send To> Music Library) and then auto-organise moves them to my S: drive.

That's what I figured.

What I was trying to say was that you set S drive for the auto-organization setting. So you can auto-organize your music files only on S drive, not on any other drives.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
What I was trying to say was that you set S drive for the auto-organization setting. So you can auto-organize your music files only on S drive, not on any other drives.

Yeah,  you can move them around in different folders, but once moved, you are stuck on the root drive defined first up.

I wonder, would setting up the sections of your collections on different drives, into different library sub-sections allow different auto-organise settings for each drive?

Might just check that out.  I could have Classical and Christmas on separate drives, all auto-organised, not just as filtered sets.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

@djscottallen:

So what files do you need to keep in C:\users\~ folder to use your DJ software? You mean just "iTunes Music Library.xml" file that MB creates?

redwing

I wonder, would setting up the sections of your collections on different drives, into different library sub-sections allow different auto-organise settings for each drive?

Might just check that out.  I could have Classical and Christmas on separate drives, all auto-organised, not just as filtered sets.

You mean multiple libraries, or subsets like divided by genre? I don't know about the former, but I doubt it's possible with the latter.

redwing

@Steven:

Here are my proposal for improving this feature regarding those "bugs" I reported. All cases under assume auto-organization is enabled.

1. When the user is trying to move the location for auto-organization to another drive, currently MB shows a warning that those files on the old location won't move to the new drive. If the user forces it, then those files remain in the old drive but still remain in library too without being auto-organized any more.

Offer following options for those files: (1) Send to inbox (default), (2) Move files, (3) Copy files.

2. When "add to inbox" is ticked for new files action, do not allow to use the same location as the one for auto-organization. Currently this results to files co-residing both in library and in inbox.

3. When "add to library" is ticked for new files action, disable auto-sweep option. For auto-organized library, this setting is bound to cause a conflict.

Steven

• Administrator
I will do something for v2.4 but not now. At minimum i will enhance the organisation rules to allow a mapping for each drive in use where you could set a different root folder for each drive.
@redwing, not rejecting what you are saying - i havent digested it and wont look at it in detail just yet. The above has been on the back of my mind for a while

redwing

I will do something for v2.4 but not now. At minimum i will enhance the organisation rules to allow a mapping for each drive in use where you could set a different root folder for each drive.
@redwing, not rejecting what you are saying - i havent digested it and wont look at it in detail just yet. The above has been on the back of my mind for a while

My proposal was only for fixing "bug"s under the current scheme, but what you said would change everything. I'd welcome any enhancement for auto-organization feature like allowing moving files across drives. Take your time!

djscottallen

My proposal was only for fixing "bug"s under the current scheme, but what you said would change everything. I'd welcome any enhancement for auto-organization feature like allowing moving files across drives. Take your time!

My MB is organizing my files and updating tags using both organize features on my external drive just fine.  I just reclaimed 75% of my free space on my SSD in my new laptop.  So happy right now.  I think the only problem I would have is trying to move my library BACK to the C: Drive across discs, but I would never do that.

Haven't read all of these posts, but my initial suggestion is full auto organizing and syncing of media files across discs, no matter what the location.

Thanks again for taking this issue to another level guys lol  Thank you Steven for your consideration on this issue. My issue is finally fixed with everyone's help. So relieved  :D

NOTE: Please don't ever get rid of the awesome feature of exporting an iTunes formatted library file, my dj software syncs perfectly and instantaneously with MB.  Because of this feature, I highly recommend dj's to move over to MusicBee immediately. haha
Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:21:17 AM by djscottallen

djscottallen

@djscottallen:

So what files do you need to keep in C:\users\~ folder to use your DJ software? You mean just "iTunes Music Library.xml" file that MB creates?

Yup that's it.  Not sure if I also need the .itl file, I don't think so but anyways, it works great with the XML file in the default location. Just one XML file and i'm groovy.  The music library (.xml) can point to 6 different locations, it doesn't matter. As long as the XML library file knows where the media is, so does my dj software.  It's like having a mini music manager within my dj software.  It has all the tags including the BPM (beats per minute) and quality (320 kbps). 

I'm now adding video files now to finally be able to do video mixing for live gigs using my HD video projector.  I don't even need audio anymore, I can do all video mixing. It's a really interesting project. Video files get BIG so auto organize on external is really going to save my life on that. That's my next MB project. We'll see how that goes working with my dj program. I might be back here again hahahahhahah
Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:19:06 AM by djscottallen

Bee-liever

The auto-organiser only moves files on the same drive as the library music folder ie. wont move a file across discs.

posting this with the risk the function might be removed

the screenshots I posted earlier are from my auto-organise settings.
My MB library is on my W: drive
With my work-flow, auto-organise regularly moves the physical files to my S: or T: drive (not the library files)

auto-organise also kicks in if I make any tag changes for files already on those S: or T: drives

Yes, I see that it's changed again and auto-organise no longer moves files across drives on import to Library from Inbox
Have to re-organise my work-flow once more  :(

Bee-liever

Thanks Steven
Didn't even get a chance to post to your original request  :o
checked that it was working on 2.4.5191 and have re-checked with patch (2.4.5243) and working as before. Yippee!  ;D
Thanks again  :)

Steven

• Administrator
i have made the following changes:
- the auto-organiser can now have separate rules defined for each fixed drive
- separate rules can be defined for music, audiobooks and video
- you can define the mapping so files are moved across discs eg. define a rule for music files on Z: and have then organised to C:\music\
- you can define the mapping so files on a drive are not organised by leaving to the "to folder" and "naming template" blank
- when sending or moving files into an organised library, previously files from a different drive were moved and organised to the drive the music library resided on. Now you need to define a rule first (MB will report an error if no mapping rule is defined)

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Pingaware

How do I define a mapping rule for a new drive without using auto-organise (i.e. I just want to use the Send To>Organised Folder command)? I suspect I'm being dumb, but I just can't figure it out.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.