Author Topic: Musicbee latest unusable on new high-dpi Windows laptop  (Read 11537 times)

rreiner

On my new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus, which has a 13 inch display with 3200x1800 resolution (that's about 250dpi, more than twice the dpi of most screens), every component of Musicbee's interface is unusably tiny.  Checkboxes are about 2mm high. Interface text is about the same size. (Text size is adjustable in the preferences, but when increased, text interface elements overflow the boundaries of their containing elements and are clipped.)

This laptop runs Windows 8.1, which has introduced new features to support these high-dpi displays: applications are now required to support 200% scaling (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn457649(v=vs.85).aspx), and there are new APIs for this. There's also support for per-monitor scaling.

So... any chance that  high-dpi support can be added to Musicbee sometime soon, so that it works properly on modern laptops (and on the 4K monitors that are becoming available)?

Best,
Richard

Zak

• Global Moderator
It's hard to believe that every application is supposed to be re-written to work on a high density display.

From the article you linked to:

If applications don’t handle high DPI, Windows will scale them for the user.

Seems like there might be a Windows display setting somewhere that should handle this for you.
Bee excellent to each other...

rreiner

It's hard to believe that every application is supposed to be re-written to work on a high density display.

Seems like there might be a Windows display setting somewhere that should handle this for you.

That automatic scaling capability works on some applications, but not on others. Musicbee unfortunately is in the latter category.

Lommelun

Talk on the topic
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/4-184

TLDR; There are 3 'modes' which decide how much windows will scale / take over the app scaling. No intervention (app has its own algorythms et cetera), some intervention, and full handling from windows.

I believe the second one applies to MusicBee - as the fonts, most of the ui and so forth is somewhat appropriately scaled. But the overall layout is very small, it's like a giant (fonts, menus) living in a tiny home (columns, panels).

Steven

• Administrator
could you post a couple of screenshots so i can better understand what you mean

thedankdrank

I also have the same problems.

I have a 3200x1800 Yoga 2, and have loved musicbee before, but now i cannot use it at all.

http://imgur.com/TJxnmf6
(The following is the standard Musicbee, just updated, I did however increase the size of all the text from 9pt to 11pt otherwise it would be extremely hard to interact with.)
The playback buttons and other buttons are unusablely small.
The window buttons are crammed into the edges of the screen.

I have been able to find workarounds to most applications on my new PC to make them look okay, except MusicBee and VLC, both of which have unusable playback buttons)

Thanks

redwing

It seems more and more people will encounter this kind of problem with the rapidly growing number of high-DPI displays, though they are still a minority.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next v2.4 update i have improved the image scaling - the main application window, compact player and mini-player should all scale much better now.
However its been time consuming and a slog to do what has been done so far and i accept that there will be various minor clipping/ slight overlapping of fields etc in the many dialog windows which i havent been through. However it will take too much more time for me to do all of these for the number of users that would be affected and i think it should still be usable. If you have a particular dialog or i have missed something you think is important then let me know on this topic

The problem is if i let windows do it then its unusably slow, especially with the panels with artwork

Kaelri

I'm having a small graphical glitch after installing today's 2.4 Beta. I'm assuming it's related to this issue. All of my scaling options in Windows are set to 100%.

This could be the fault of the skin I'm using (LightMetro). If so, I'll repost in the skin thread.

Steven

• Administrator
the skin is using some unusual image resolutions but i have updated all the v2.4 links to handle that

danielegnieleg

Thanks a lot for this fix!!
It is all fine, but I encountered only one problem in the shortcuts menu:

The checkbox "global" is very difficult to chek and also the "assign" button.

Steven

• Administrator
are you sure you are using the latest patch version or v2.4 beta from the first topic on the forum? check using help/ about