Author Topic: Remove Duplicates from Play List  (Read 8436 times)

Nooneisavailable

Hi,
WinAmp has a remove duplicates function from the play list that I really miss in MusicBee.  Sometimes my playlist gets all "clogged" with duplicate songs because I was manually adding songs for a while.  Any chance you could add this feature?  Thanks

No One

redwing

+1

Currently if you run duplicates manager for a playlist, there's no option of just removing tracks from playlists. Besides, given that managing playlists is different from managing library, a right-click menu item (for a playlist) of "remove duplicates from playlist" would be really handy without having to run duplicates manager. MB currently pops up a warning when you attempt to add duplicates to a playlist, but that's not much useful when you're adding multiple files. If this feature was added, that wouldn't be a problem.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1

One of the very few things I miss about iTunes is the "show duplicates" command, which filters any node to just duplicate items for easy removal.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
the duplicates manager has been enhanced to handle playlists and can now be invoked from right click on the playlist/ Manage Duplicates

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

redwing

Working great, but it could be enhanced to be more useful.

1. I think what people want to remove from a playlist is,in most cases, files with the same URLs -- in other words, duplicate entries often resulted from manual dragging of multiple files. For this, no need to preview the list beforehand, just one click to delete all duplicate entries. Launching duplicates manager comes later when files with the same tags need to be compared in case, for instance, same songs in different format were added. So it would be great if there was a right-click menu item of "remove duplicate entries" that just removes all duplicate entries without launching any window. For duplicates manager, it could be launched from Tools menu or the current right-click menu.

2. Other options of managing duplicates, such as hiding and deleting, are still needed for playlists when you save duplicates into a playlist to handle them later.

Steven

• Administrator
there are compilications combining the new behavior for playlists with libraries that have files from cuesheets so the left navigator playlist menu is a new command "Remove Duplicates" which has the new playlist behavior and the main menu "Manage Duplicates" the old behavior

redwing

I'm not sure what you meant, but I can't find "Remove Duplicates" menu item from right-click playlist menu. It's just "Manage Duplicates" and behaves just as the same as launching it from main menu which only has "remove duplicates from the playlist" option based on tags when it's applied to playlists. Is this what you meant?

Steven

• Administrator
i meant for the next update which isnt available as yet

Nooneisavailable

My bad,
I actually didn't mean play list.  ??? I meant remove duplicates from the now playing list.  And the last poster had it right, I meant the exact same file/url being on the now playing list, not the same song name, etc...

No One

Steven

• Administrator
i have changed the new Remove Duplicates function to only remove duplicate file names and show no dialog.
Its not supported for the Now Playing list

redwing

Thanks for the update. Now Remove Duplicates feature is working perfect.

But I noticed there's no "remove duplicates from the playlist" option when running Duplicates Manager to playlists like before. Then how to remove duplicate tracks (based on tags) just from the playlist? Would be great it defaults to that option when applied to playlists with other handling options available.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Another on the list of features I didn't know I needed until I had it.  Thanks, Steven!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

no-midi

i have changed the new Remove Duplicates function to only remove duplicate file names and show no dialog.
Its not supported for the Now Playing list

hi Steven,
like no one, i would also like to see this supporting the now playing list
if it is possible at all

cheers