Author Topic: Simple, maybe, but MBee newbie has file-delete question  (Read 4573 times)

rlegro

Hi. Just installed Mbee and after having it scan my drives and playing it around with it a few hours, I'm sold. But I've run right into a problem and I am still scratching my head>

In my podcasts folder were several listings that were duplicated. They were totally identical in terms of name, file size, date and so on. I assumed this meant that Mbee had found duplicates on different drives (which didn't surprise me, as I back stuff up). So I clicked on one of two identical podcast entries and deleted it from the pop-up menu. Whoops! The other copy of the file disappeared, too, although I hadn't pointed to it. Now, I can't find either file. Not in my Recycle bin, not on the drives. What happened? And is there any undelete function? If so, I can't find one. Thx in advance for any enlightenment you may have to share. -- RL

Anti

> I assumed this meant that Mbee had found duplicates on different drives

How did your subscriptions get into the podcast pane? Did you import them from an XML file?
I ask this because I don't think MB puts files into the podcast pane after 'scanning' drives.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
How did your subscriptions get into the podcast pane? Did you import them from an XML file?
I ask this because I don't think MB puts files into the podcast pane after 'scanning' drives.

It sometimes does, actually.  There is an iTunes podcast flag that I believe triggers this, among maybe other things?  (I know this because I had a bunch of podcasts that I was trying to save in Audiobooks and had a heck of a time with until I deleted the podcast tag.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Anti

OK... so that's a bunch of trouble I know nothing about!

Rlegro, one thing you obviously need to do before trying to delete duplicates again is to confirm whether there are actually multiple copies of the files or whether the same file is somehow being listed twice.

Right click on a duplicate -> edit -> properties tab. Note the location on your disk.
Do the same for the other duplicate. Are the locations different or exactly the same?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Rlegro, one thing you obviously need to do before trying to delete duplicates again is to confirm whether there are actually multiple copies of the files or whether the same file is somehow being listed twice.

Right click on a duplicate -> edit -> properties tab. Note the location on your disk.
Do the same for the other duplicate. Are the locations different or exactly the same?
This step seems like it should be unnecessary. Why would MB list the same file twice? Genuine question so I don't mean to sound obnoxious but I've personally never had this issue and it seems like something that shouldn't happen- a bug maybe? 
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Anti

Yes, it is a bug of some sort. But at the moment we don't know whether:

· the duplicates in the list are real duplicates (so there are two files in different locations, and for some reason MB is deleting them both when just one entry is deleted).

· Or, there is only one file, but for some reason it's being listed twice (so when one entry is deleted, the other entry disappears too because the file no longer exists).

There's probably other things that need to be established too, like, is a backup folder being monitored/scanned in addition to the music directories?

I've never had anything like this happen either, so I'm just trying to blindly troubleshoot.
Any other suggestions are welcome, although it looks like the OP may not be returning.