Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting a new mp3 player. Any advice?  (Read 9995 times)

roaming_bear

Hello.  I'm thinking of getting a new mp3 player.  Do you have any advice for me?
I want to get one with a large amount of storage and I'm thinking of getting the ipod classic, but I'm not sure if it works on musicbee.  I have read that it might have some issues, but I didn't not understand what issues it would have.

Thanks in advance

Alumni

As far as I know the iPod Classic is compatible with MusicBee. The iPod Touch and iPhone are not natively supported.
If storage is the most important thing to you, the iPod might be the best choice, but otherwise I would recommend an Android smartphone.
Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:53:22 AM by Alumni

Steven

• Administrator
i dont think any ipod devices set up using iTunes 11 will work with musicbee

SimonBRT

Options are sadly very limited for large storage these days.  Not everywhere has good enough mobile internet to stream all the time!

I have an ageing Cowon X7.  The interface and touchscreen are horrible but crucially the sound quality is fantastic as is its syncing with MB.  Might be worth considering if you can find a cheap eBay deal?

hiccup

Or you could consider an iPod, and then install Rockbox on it.
But I see that the latest generation Classic (6G) is currently not yet supported though.

phred

• Global Moderator
My 160gb iPod Classic is not quite two years old and I have no issues whatsoever keeping it in sync with MB.  I initialized it with iTunes 9.2.1.  You can find it, and all other iTunes versions, at www.oldapps.com/itunes.php
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
Options are sadly very limited for large storage these days.  Not everywhere has good enough mobile internet to stream all the time!
True that, which is why I prefer Sansa players which support Micro-SD cards (and Rockbox).
Bee excellent to each other...

roaming_bear

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I appreciate it.  ^_^

"i dont think any ipod devices set up using iTunes 11 will work with musicbee"

If I get it brand new, and initiate it with a lower version of itunes, will it work then?

Or do I even have to initiate it with itunes in the first place?

What happens if I accidentally initiate it with iTunes 11... Can I undo that?

Thank you

phred

• Global Moderator
If I get it brand new, and initiate it with a lower version of itunes, will it work then?
It should.  That's what I did with mine using iTunes 9.2.1

Or do I even have to initiate it with itunes in the first place?
Yes.  Once.  Just make sure you don't allow iTunes to sync anything to the device.  Specifically under Device \ Summary \ Options make sure there's a check mark in the box Manually manage music and videos.  And under Music, there is no check mark next to Sync Music.

What happens if I accidentally initiate it with iTunes 11... Can I undo that?
Yes.  Using the older version of iTunes do a Restore under Device \ Summary.  Although I don't see how one can accidentally initiate it with iTunes 11 unless you have both versions installed, which I don't think you can do.

The only other thing I can add, is that if you're buying the iPod brand new, get it from a place where it can be returned if it doesn't work as expected.

Good luck.
Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:33:31 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

lnminente

I think the best option is buying a cheap and small android phone with microsd slot. It has a whole world of possibilities in comparison with a typical mp3 player, if possible look for one with usb OTG support for plugin pendrives to it.

Android 4.x could be needed for new softwares like DFX

Not using itunes is good for your computer and your mental health :D

boroda

I think the best option is buying a cheap and small android phone with microsd slot. It has a whole world of possibilities in comparison with a typical mp3 player, if possible look for one with usb OTG support for plugin pendrives to it.
I'm afraid "cheap and small android phone" will have poor sound quality ((

Not using itunes is good for your computer and your mental health :D
+1

Anti

I'm another happy Cowon user (J3). I think if I got a good Android phone in the next year or two,
I'd try that for an mp3 player. But if the sound quality sucked, I think I'd buy another Cowon.

Mr. Trev

If you're willing to wait you could check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/fiio-x1-the-most-portable-and-affordable-high-resolution-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-10-03-2014

I have a Fiio X3 and while the UI is a little clunky (cowon users should know what I'm talking about), the sound is excellent.
128gb microsd cards are finally starting to hit the market now too so it's almost as good as an ipod classic - which I also have and use rockboxed with Musicbee.

electro

Is this 1983? mp3 players exist? huh
1. It's not. 2. Why not?

By the way, why do you think that mp3 players shouldn't exist anymore? The mp3 is still the dominant audio format and people still want to listen to music on portable devices. You can play music on your smartphone, but many prefer a separate device, especially because the battery of some smartphones is draining fast, the audio quality is pretty poor and the memory is limited.
Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:16:01 AM by electro