Author Topic: Ignore "Disc #" When Viewing Library?  (Read 4023 times)

mistertee

I've noticed that some of my albums include Disc # in the tag. Quite honestly I never realized the field existed until I began using MB. The problem is, some of my complete albums include tracks that were acquired from different sources, some including the disc # and others not. When I view a track list there are spaces between the track titles whenever disc #'s are present. Unfortunately my collection is too large to fix each and every selection by retagging. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pingaware

If you don't use Disc # at all, you could just select all your files at once and delete Disc # across them all by ticking the box by the field in the Tag Editor.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Anti

It might be a bit more complicated than just deleting the disc tags.

If you have album tracks which were numbered, say, 1-14 for the first disc and 1-12 for the second disc,
then they will be 'merged' when you delete the disc number. Eg. they'll be listed like 01, 01, 02, 02, 03, 03, etc.

Even if you kept the disc tags, but just changed the column display from 'disc-track#' to 'track#', I think the same problem would occur.

If you don't use the disc tag to separate double discs, then there are two methods I know of to stop that 'merging' happening:

1)
Edit the title of the album so both discs have different names.
Eg. 'Electric Ladyland (disc1)' and 'Electric Ladyland (disc2)'

2)
Renumber the tracks so that you have a continuous numbering across both discs.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Or, to go the other direction, you could do a search for tracks where "Disc Number has no value" and fill in all missing Disc #'s with 1 (assuming that multi-disc albums would be correctly numbered already).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

mistertee

Thanks for all the suggestions! From the beginning I've always numbered tracks from multi-disc collections sequentially without disc numbers so I'll give this a try.

> If you don't use Disc # at all, you could just select all your files at once and delete Disc # across them all by ticking the box by the field in the Tag Editor.

Zak

• Global Moderator
From the beginning I've always numbered tracks from multi-disc collections sequentially without disc numbers so I'll give this a try.
I've never stored separate disc numbers either, precisely to avoid the problems associated with some tracks having an extra level of information (i.e. multi-disc albums) and others not.

But rather than ignore it completely (which creates the problem Anti described with duplicate track numbers), to keep the track order correct for multidisc albums I use three digit track numbers. So track five on the first disc is track number 105, track eight on the second disc is track 208 etc.

Does the same job as disc numbers, but it is much easier to maintain. :)
Bee excellent to each other...