Author Topic: Replay gain understanding problem  (Read 4615 times)

raftbone

Hello everywhere

I'm very new in using MusicBee and have a question regarding replay gain. If I mark all my tracks and start replay gain, the replay gain tags are written. So far so good.

But if I start replay gain analysis again, most of my tracks are analyzed and change again and again. Shouldn't it be analyzed only one time if replay gain tags are missing?

The most strange thing is that if i mark all tracks and go to replay gain track Analysis, not all tracks are automatically marked for analysis.

Could probably someone clear some things for me?

Many thanks
raftbone

redwing

If some tracks have complete ReplayGain tags (4 kinds), they won't be ticked by default when you send them to volume analysis. Then if you tick those tracks manually, that means you want to force volume analysis to them, so they should be re-analyzed and tags re-written.

The only inconsistency I noticed is when you send a single track that only has track gain to volume analysis. In that case, album gain tickbox is disabled because only a single track was sent, but the track gets ticked for volume analysis even though it already has track gain.

raftbone

Thanks for clearing out things. I didn't know that replay gain has to be done 4 times.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for clearing out things. I didn't know that replay gain has to be done 4 times.

It doesn't, it just writes 4 values.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

raftbone

Ah sorry, misunderstood. Then my Problem still exists, as everytime I mark all my tracks and go to replay gain Analysis, most of them are marked for Analysis, even if I have already done this before.

All I wanted to say is that replay gain analysis is done and done again.

redwing

Those four tags are album gain, album peak, track gain, and track peak. As I said, only tracks with complete tags are unticked when sent to volume analysis. If most of your tracks are ticked again, probably they don't have album gain tags. In other words, your collection may contain lots of singles.

How to verify:
- Add album gain and track gain column to the main panel (they are available from "other fields" when right click on column header).
- Sort all tracks by album gain.
- Select tracks with no album gain tag and send them to volume analysis. All of them will get ticked.
- Do the same thing with complete tags. None of them will get ticked.

There's no point in keep sending them to volume analysis, if they're already done.
Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:44:24 AM by redwing

raftbone

Now I fully understand. Therefore my problem was, that I was always unticking to analyze album replay gain values. Once done both, track and album gain, the tracks are no longer automatically marked for analysis.