Author Topic: Show all songs for a CD, not just matches for an artist  (Read 15849 times)

zord_majka

So, I tried it and it doesn't work for me. From my understanding, you sort it based on the Album artist tag field, right? What if the field is empty? Wouldn't it be better to sort it based on Album name field?

Steven

• Administrator
So, I tried it and it doesn't work for me. From my understanding, you sort it based on the Album artist tag field, right? What if the field is empty? Wouldn't it be better to sort it based on Album name field?
this change only applies to the "Album and Tracks" view. If you type in text in the search box or click an item on the track browser, rather than returning a single matching track from an album, it also returns the other tracks in the same album. The criteria for defining an album is: Album name, Year, and Album Artist
How the results are sorted is how you have set the sorting by clicking the column headings (nothing has changed in that regard).
Based on this, do you still find its not working?

zord_majka

OK, i triple checked what you wrote and no it doesn't work for me.

First, I tried to put something into the search box and the result was as it's shown at the picture below. Actually, when i double clicked the item in the 'Album [Year]' column (the one which appears to be selected on the picture), only the very first song of the album was added to the now playing playlist. On the picture below you can see the metadata information from one file/track - as stated before, the problem might be because 'album artist' field is intentionally left blank/empty.

*EDIT* Still at the same search when I click 'Nonstop [1994]' from the 'Album [Year]' column, it is shown correctly with all songs on the album. So, the problem stated before is probably because of missing 'album artist' field in metadata.

Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:04:37 PM by zord_majka

chorpo

OK, i triple checked what you wrote and no it doesn't work for me.

First, I tried to put something into the search box and the result was as it's shown at the picture below. Actually, when i double clicked the item in the 'Album [Year]' column (the one which appears to be selected on the picture), only the very first song of the album was added to the now playing playlist. On the picture below you can see the metadata information from one file/track - as stated before, the problem might be because 'album artist' field is intentionally left blank/empty.

*EDIT* Still at the same search when I click 'Nonstop [1994]' from the 'Album [Year]' column, it is shown correctly with all songs on the album. So, the problem stated before is probably because of missing 'album artist' field in metadata.

You have to type "Various Artists" in album artist tag on all tracks from Headbangers Ball album...
Then it should work as you expect...

zord_majka

Yes, that's what I thought so, but I still think it should work without the Album Artist metadata field filled in.

chorpo

Philosophy of MusicBee is that it groups (and displays) albums according to album artist.
First I didn't like this idea either but now (when I've set "Various Artists" in Compilation albums, soundtracks, ... or I've set name of DJ as album artists in DJ sets) I can easily search for hip-hop, techno, drum&bass or rock compilations in within seconds...

It takes few minutes (or hours) to tag properly this kind of albums but it repays in more categories and organizes music collection...