Author Topic: Show all songs for a CD, not just matches for an artist  (Read 15838 times)

1uNrmPvKZPXP7huAS7tr

For album view, where a selected artist matches a single song in a compilation / various artists CD.

Not just the one(s) matching this artist.

The non-matching songs can be put in italics I guess.

Also being able to upload images would make it easier for us to show what we mean with screenshots.

Steven

• Administrator
perhaps in the 'Album and Tracks' view it should always show the entire album when filtering, after all the view is album oriented. Does anyone else have any comments on this?

donjulien

Some time ago I proposed to clone a feature from MediaMonkey:

Find more from same
  > Artist
  > Album
  > Genre
  > Year

I guess this could do the trick, and then some. What do you think?

chorpo

If you select artist, you want only songs from that artist... This suggestions is not very conceptual... If you want to queue all songs from album you can always right click on track, select Play more... and select one of the options -> see this picture:

Sp for me, I don't want to see all files from album. I have selected artist -> I want only songs from that artist

1uNrmPvKZPXP7huAS7tr

If you select artist, you want only songs from that artist...

I'm with you on that, but if the perspective is "Albums", then I would want to see all the tracks for that album.
Furthermore, my assumption is that if you chose this perspective then you have made a choice, which is "Show Album".

Also, I assume you have already expanded the album cover-art so that it is not thumb-nail sized, and hence there is ample room for showing tracks for the album (in italics?) which do not match the given artist.

chorpo

Furthermore, my assumption is that if you chose this perspective then you have made a choice, which is "Show Album".

Maybe there is something on this...  ;)
so +1 for me

Steven

• Administrator

Find more from same
  > Artist
  > Album
  > Genre
  > Year

right click, Play More now allows you to play all the same tracks as the clicked column eg. right click on a genre and you can play all the tracks with that genre. Not exactly the same I know

Steven

• Administrator
I'm with you on that, but if the perspective is "Albums", then I would want to see all the tracks for that album.
Are you thinking "Show Album" would be a preference that when enabled always shows the entire album (with one or more tracks matching the filter) or do you mean you right click a track from a particular album and it displays all tracks from that specific album?

1uNrmPvKZPXP7huAS7tr

Are you thinking "Show Album" would be a preference that when enabled always shows the entire album (with one or more tracks matching the filter)

Yes, I am thinking that when a user choses the view-perspective "show album", then that is a view-preference that differs from other views, and which has impacts on how the results are presented.

My suggestion is that non-matched songs for that album can be shown in italics (so as to preserve visual impact for missing tracks, which might be shown grayed-out).

....or do you mean you right click a track from a particular album and it displays all tracks from that specific album?

No, that sounds tedious and a bit roundabout.
And I shouldn't have to specifically chose to show all tracks for an album, when I have chosen the "Album"-view.

If I had chosen the "Tracks"-view, then sure, that's fine and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But I've chosen the album view, and I'm searching for an artist, and I'd like to see the other songs for CDs which this artist has participated in.
Maybe I can just look them up and see if they are familiar artists?

V4lve

I don't use the track browser very much ("track" is a clue to what is going on here BTW).  Prefer to use search.  However maybe a better way of doing this would be to allow the user to navigate round the library (like Grooveshark) by clicking on artist or album names that appear in the main panel.  So a search or track browse may show only one track as a rstul but a simple click on the album name in the result would show the album.

zord_majka

like 1uNrmPvKZPXP7huAS7tr said (BTW brilliant name, easy to remember and everything ^^) I would go this way - if the preference of the main panel is set to the "Abum and Tracks" view, it should actually show all tracks of the album (and preferably in italic? these tracks we don't have search for). On the other hand, if the view is "Track details", I would leave it as it is.

My logic is obvious - If I have "Album and tracks" view I want to see Albums and tracks of it, right? Not Album and one track of it.

V4lve's idea is not bad either.

donjulien

Find more from same
  > Artist
  > Album
  > Genre
  > Year

right click, Play More now allows you to play all the same tracks as the clicked column eg. right click on a genre and you can play all the tracks with that genre. Not exactly the same I know

Not exactly the same, but kinda fits the purpose of a "contextual search", so to speak. Could you add this option on the right click menu at the "Now playing" list also? My use case goes: I load a large playlist or turn on AutoDJ, suddenly I listen to a song of an Artist/Album/Genre I feel like more of the same. I would rather "Play More" than "Locate in Library > Play More".

Thanks for telling me about this. I haven't noticed :P

Steven

• Administrator
For album view, where a selected artist matches a single song in a compilation / various artists CD.

Not just the one(s) matching this artist.

The non-matching songs can be put in italics I guess.
this is included in the next release on the forum (however i didnt implement the italics, it just displays the entire album which is the new default for the album and tracks layout but can be disabled from the search menu button)