Author Topic: MusicBee not finding all files on scan  (Read 10143 times)

RonMoses

MusicBee appears not to be finding many files on a scan. In some cases it's missing entire albums, in others it's missing certain tracks within an album. I recently switched to MB from Winamp, and that app had no trouble adding these files to the library on an autoscan. (I offer that only as indication that there appears to be nothing wrong with the files.)

I tried rescanning, no effect.  I tried searching on one of the affected artists as well, and did not see them filed under something else.  I was able to drag missing files (and entire albums) into the library window from Windows Explorer, and it appears to have stuck. So it is able to add these files to the library - further indication that there's nothing wrong with the files - it just doesn't see them on a scan.

I wouldn't mind dragging in folders and files it hasn't found, but I have no way to know what files are missing.  Any suggestions?

thanks,
ron
Avoid infestation. Rotate.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi!  Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked your Inbox?  This sounds like a case of files going to the Inbox when you scan them.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

RonMoses

Yep, I considered that, and the inbox is empty. I also configured the options so that newly-found files would go straight to the library rather than the inbox.  (Honestly I haven't gotten my head around what the inbox is for, so I'm kinda bypassing it for now. But that's a separate conversation.)

I should also have mentioned that the entire library is being drawn from a dedicated drive. So basically I've added F: as my sole location.

Right now MusicBee is showing 29,694 files, and Windows Explorer is showing 29,695. So I'm still missing one (which I may never find, given the ratio) but I'm very close.

ron

RonMoses

I found the last file. Interestingly, all the missing files were from a single artist, though not a single subfolder. Entire subfolders under this artist were missed, as were individual files in certain albums. I've added them all manually, so there's probably not much troubleshooting to be done. Still a bit concerning.

ron

Pingaware

(Honestly I haven't gotten my head around what the inbox is for, so I'm kinda bypassing it for now. But that's a separate conversation.)

Hopefully these links shed some light on the subject for you - this, this, this and this.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Steven

• Administrator
would you be willing to run a debug version?
if so, before i do that, could you remove a couple of the files from the library. Redo the scan and see if the removed files are still not added in.

RonMoses

would you be willing to run a debug version?
if so, before i do that, could you remove a couple of the files from the library. Redo the scan and see if the removed files are still not added in.
Short answer is sure, I'd be happy to.

But when I just did this again, I discovered that MB is in fact finding the files, it's just not adding them to the library. They are being sent to Podcasts, under "Unknown Subscription." When I try to play it, it says it can't find the file, and asks me to browse for it. I cancel the browse dialog, and it starts playing the missing tracks.

These files are tagged with genre = "podcast". However I have a total of 59 files tagged that way and only 22 went to Podcasts, the rest went to the library. So I'm confused.

Yes, I'm willing to try a debug version, you'll just have to decide if it's worth it given the above information.

ron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Were these files downloaded from somewhere?  You say you're coming from Winamp, not iTunes, but it sounds like the files may have a podcast flag.  It's not the genre; iTunes has its own special tag for marking podcasts, which I have seen MB use to direct items to Podcasts in the past.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
based on the answer i wont do a debug version. I will check the code later and let you know the conditions/ tags checked to determine whether a file is classed as a podcast. If you dont want them treated as podcasts they can be dragged into the music library

RonMoses

Were these files downloaded from somewhere?

They were, but I stripped out any tags and retagged everything from scratch.

ron

RonMoses

Just a quick update on this... upon installing the most recent upgrade, all the tracks that were previously missing have moved out of the library and back into Podcasts.  I'm considering simply retagging them so they don't have "podcast" in the Genre.

ron

RonMoses

Nope, even after deleting them from Podcasts and re-tagging them as Comedy, they still got imported into Podcasts.  Getting kind of old.

ron

RonMoses

Never mind, I think I found it.  There was an "ITUNES PODCAST" tag that was only visible from the Tag Inspector.  My tagging program didn't see it.  I think I'm all set.

ron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There was an "ITUNES PODCAST" tag that was only visible from the Tag Inspector. 

Yup, that's the one that gave me trouble until I figured it out.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)