Author Topic: Setting to use Sort Artist/Album/etc  (Read 16158 times)

vzell

I have added a setting to disable that new behavior, although i might remove that setting from the GUI for the sake of keeping the settings simpler.
Where is this setting located ?

Steven

• Administrator
i didnt include it. For now, you can edit MusicBeeSettings.ini while MB is not running and change <DisableSortAsTags>true</DisableSortAsTags>

vzell

Thanks, it's actually in MusicBee3Settings.ini.

This setting should really be included in the preferences, as it comes in handy (at least in my use cases)

redwing

Sorting\Grouping settings tab has dialogs for editing custom sort artist and album name values. But there's no support for sort title field. Can you add another dialog where custom sort title values can be browsed and edited?

redwing

Also is it intended when no word is entered to "ignore words" setting it defaults to "the"?

Steven

• Administrator
Sorting\Grouping settings tab has dialogs for editing custom sort artist and album name values. But there's no support for sort title field. Can you add another dialog where custom sort title values can be browsed and edited?
no, custom sort titles work differently and are only stored/retrieved from a music file as any tag

redwing

no, custom sort titles work differently and are only stored/retrieved from a music file as any tag

OK. That helps.

I created an auto-playlist that compares title and sort title values to find out files with custom sort title tags.
Since when no word is entered to "ignore words" setting it defaults to "The", you have to enter a made-up word to the setting to clear up sot title values except those having a custom sort title tags. Then "Remove Tags" command can take care of the rest.

I think when no word is entered to "ignore words" setting it shouldn't defaults to "The". It's not the same that "The" is entered to the list when MB is installed and that removing it from the setting defaults to "The".

redwing

Something else is going on. I made sure all custom sort title tags got cleared up in my collection, but now some got the tag from somewhere and those tracks are all I edited title tags after that. For the tagging, I only used album auto tagger, Additional Tagging Tools plugin and MB's native search and replace command. Does MB add sort title tag with the previous value when title tag is edited in a non-manual way?

Steven

• Administrator
i use the album auto-tagger a lot myself and there is no behaviour that additionally saves a sort title tag, and there is no where that sets and saves the sort title apart from the tag editor and in-panel direct editing of a field.

redwing

Thanks for the clarification! Then it must be my mistake. Probably when title was edited, its previously unnoticed sort title tag started working and got my attention as now I realized I had only checked files having different values for the two fields.

redwing

I noticed an issue with sort composer tag when multiple composers are tagged. It would be the same for other sort tags with multiple values.

So I used the format "AAA; BBB" for display composer tag and didn't enter any value for sort composer tag for that multi-composer track.
As the screenshot shows, those tags are not treated consistently.
If a sort composer tag is not set for multi-value composer tag, how about sorting it by the existing sort composer value of the first composer?
So in this case "Liszt, Franz" would be the sort composer tag of "Franz Liszt; Giuseppe Verdi" composer tag.
Also the column browser should show two "Liszt, Franz" and two "Verdi, Giuseppe" in sort composer column.
Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:37:15 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
In the column browser the composer is being split into the individual values, where as thats not possible in the main panel. Are you suggesting the column browser should not be split because its a sort field? If thats what you are saying i can see your point but also i think its useful that it is split

redwing

No, it should split in the column browser but it currently doesn't show each individual tag's existing sort composer value. As the result, it shows two values for composer tag but four values for sort composer tag.

Another request is its main panel sort composer value should be, again, the existing sort composer tag of individual composer tags. So this case I'd like to see either "Liszt, Franz" or "Liszt, Franz; Verdi, Giuseppe" when its own sort composer tag is not set, no matter what the display composer value may be.

Steven

• Administrator
No, it should split in the column browser but it currently doesn't show each individual tag's existing sort composer value. As the result, it shows two values for composer tag but four values for sort composer tag.
i am afraid i still dont get why what is currently being done is wrong. MB splits most tags with ";" into separate values in the column and thumb browsers. Because there is no sort composer for one of the files, MB falls back to the composer which has 2 values when split

redwing

MB falls back to the composer which has 2 values when split

When it falls back to the composer tag and split it into two, then shouldn't it check whether there's an existing sort value for each individual composer tag?