Author Topic: How to use the sub-grouping header  (Read 127572 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Have you assigned 'Set Subtitle' to a custom tag first?

Refer to Reply #38
Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:04:43 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

NickIst

And what should I change in the code posted by the OP in order to ignore displayng a subheader for single disc albums?

phred

• Global Moderator
You could try playing around with this
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,Null,"Disc "<Disc#>),)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

NickIst

You could try playing around with this
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,Null,"Disc "<Disc#>),)
Sorry, but for me it's too difficult. I don't understand where I must insert this code. Can you link any info for better understanding of functions? I get Null in every album with 1 disc out of 1
Well after some time by trials and errors I managed to cope with it.
Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:04:05 AM by NickIst

Bee-liever

Well after some time by trials and errors I managed to cope with it.
Sorry I wasn't around earlier to help out, but I'm glad you got it sorted  :)

NickIst

Is it ok that the virtual tag isn't fully displayed in albums view? The MB omits disk № tag. Plus why there is no subheaders in music explorer?

Bee-liever

Is it ok that the virtual tag isn't fully displayed in albums view? The MB omits disk № tag.
Not 100% sure what you mean here  :-\
If you are using the Disc Count formula from your previous post, than it will only show a disc# if there is more than 1 disc.

Plus why there is no subheaders in music explorer?
Music Explorer uses the Album Covers view that has its own sub-grouping settings:
right-click header menu>  Customise Panel...>  Show Settings>>

NickIst

Is it ok that the virtual tag isn't fully displayed in albums view? The MB omits disk № tag.
Not 100% sure what you mean here  :-\
If you are using the Disc Count formula from your previous post, than it will only show a disc# if there is more than 1 disc.
Yes, I use it and I'm talking about the ones who have more than 1 disc.
https://imgur.com/a/j3SpAxE
P.S. I've turned on the subheader in the explorer but the issue is the same as in the music tab

Sorry, I'm inattentive wretch. I mixed up virtual and custom tag. That was my problem :-[
Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:56:03 PM by NickIst

akalucard

This is a beautiful subheader.  I often use Picard for my tags and I noticed it sets the album subtitle as a custom tag <DISCSUBTITLE>. Is there any way I can get this to pull from that? And even better, if I can make this <DISCSUBTITLE> become my virtual tag in musicbee so I can edit if if needed? I feel like I'm half-confident fiddling with this setup, but this is the last part that I'd really like to master if possible!  Thanks for the awesome support :)

hiccup

I often use Picard for my tags and I noticed it sets the album subtitle as a custom tag <DISCSUBTITLE>. Is there any way I can get this to pull from that?

You could add this script to Picard so that it will write 'setsubtitle' instead of 'discsubtitle':

$set(setsubtitle,$if2(%setsubtitle%,%discsubtitle%))

akalucard

Excellent point, Hiccup.  I'm going to work on that now.  Totally forgot Picard had its own scripting options!

Mr. Trev

Hey guys, I'm getting out smarted by this thing…

I just did a wipe and clean Windows install on my laptop. Normally since I use a portable MB install, I'd just backup and recopy the folder. Considering my portable install has existed since v3.0 and has many redundant files now (no longer used plugins, etc) I decided to do a clean portable MB install too.

Everything was working as I wanted in the old MB, so I figured it would be a simple copy/paste operation setting up my new one - except for this.

As far as I can tell everything is identical between old and new versions. The preview in the template editor shows the string works correctly. I just can't figure out why the viewer is showing the string and not the actual result (BTW, I originally just copied the string from this thread or one of the others here)

redwing

I just can't figure out why the viewer is showing the string and not the actual result

You might want to try from the simplest template (like just <Set Subtitle>) to more complicated ones to figure out what causes the issue.

Mr. Trev

I just can't figure out why the viewer is showing the string and not the actual result

You might want to try from the simplest template (like just <Set Subtitle>) to more complicated ones to figure out what causes the issue.

I'm hopeless when it comes to scripting and such, so I just copy and paste what others use. The format is correct and does provide a result using the preview in the template editor.

I just tried coping the template into a new virtual tag (literally copy/paste) and for whatever reason it does work properly now. Don't know why it didn't work in the previous virtual tag… Guess I'll blame it on sunspots ???

landcross

I have a semi-related question. Musicbrainz Picard sometimes adds a tag called 'Disc Subtitle' to my flac files. Inside the .flac file, the tag is saved under the name DISCSUBTITLE.

Now, I want to show that DISCSUBTITLE tag as sub-header in Musicbee. The tag doesn't show up by default in Musicbee, but it's one of the standard available custom tags. According to this table https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Custom_Tags Musicbee's Set Subtitle is identical to DISCSUBTITLE in Vorbis. So, I've set up my Custom 1 tag as Set Subtitle and selected Set Subtitle as sub-header. But... Nothing shows up.

Have I done something wrong? Did I forget something?

(As a sidenote, the set subtitle is also empty in the tag-edit window in Musicbee, even though I'm sure my files have a DISCSUBTITLE tag...)

------------

EDIT: Ok, I think I figured it out. Musicbee is NOT saving Set Subtitle as DISCSUBTITLE in flac files. It is, in fact, saving (and thus, I assume reading) it as SETSUBTITLE. That table is clearly wrong.

So, now my question is... How can I use Picard's tag DISCSUBTITLE as sub-header? I know very little about Musicbee's custom and virtual tags so....
Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:37:16 PM by landcross