Author Topic: How to use the sub-grouping header  (Read 127571 times)

wobbly

atm  if i click to show album details

i see

Dave Edmunds
Dave Edmunds Anthology (1983)

track 1
track 2
track 3

track 1
track 2
track 3

is there a way  to have like this

Dave Edmunds
Dave Edmunds Anthology disk 1 (1983)

track 1
track 2
track 3

b]Dave Edmunds[/b]
Dave Edmunds Anthology disk 2 (1983)

track 1
track 2
track 3

thank you

i dont know where to start  so i need some help ... please

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
atm  if i click to show album details

i see

Dave Edmunds
Dave Edmunds Anthology (1983)

track 1
track 2
track 3

track 1
track 2
track 3

You sure?
It should be

Dave Edmunds Anthology
Dave Edmunds (1983)

track 1
track 2
track 3

track 1
track 2
track 3

From your other posts you are also using 3.2 (so you can use the sub grouping header in the Group By menu)
so  if you right-click the header menu> Customise Panel...> click to show settings
should bring up this panel

You can see that the Album/ Album Artist (Year) values for the header are not editable.
Here is where you also find sub-grouping header (for tracks)

Before you go any further, decide what you want in to show in your sub-grouping header:
Whatever you use can't be displayed as multi-line.  It will only displayed as one line of text.

Now that you have worked out what you want to display, head on over to
Edit Preferences> Tags (1)> Define New Tags
and using the lower section of the New Custom Tag Definition panel, create a virtual tag to put what you want into the display
You can name it anything you like.  I named mine Sub-Header [variable] (catchy isn't it  ;D  )

Once created and tested that it works, head back to the Views Configuration panel and select it from the drop-down in sub-grouping header.

As an example, too add disc numbers to multi-disc sets (like your example) you can use something simple like:
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •",)
This should give you:

Dave Edmunds Anthology
Dave Edmunds (1983)

• Disc 1 •
track 1
track 2
track 3

• Disc 2 •
track 1
track 2
track 3

As I've said before, that virtual tag can become quite complicated and greatly vary the display depending on your tags.
This is my current version

Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$If($And($Contains(<Genre Groups>,Classical)="T",$First(<Grouping>)="Album [Compilation]"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,$IsNull(<Conductor [surname]>,"• "<Sort Composer>" •","• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),"• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Set Subtitle>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •","• "<Set Subtitle>" •")),$If($And($Contains(<Path>,Classical)="T",$First(<Grouping>)="Album [Compilation]"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,$IsNull(<Conductor [surname]>,"• "<Sort Composer>" •","• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),"• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Set Subtitle>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,,"• "<Set Subtitle>" •")))
Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:18:49 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

wobbly

ok
If(<Disc Count>>1,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •",)  working in album and track view

not working in "album cover view"  i  would like to change what you see in.  album cover  view when you click to to see album info in album cover view
 update  got it working under  in album cover view you need  to click " click her to see setting then you can  add your virtual tag...
Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:13:07 AM by wobbly

Bee-liever

ok
If(<Disc Count>>1,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •",)  working in album and track view

not working in "album cover view"  i  would like to change what you see in.  album cover  view when you click to to see album info in album cover view
 update  got it working under  in album cover view you need  to click " click her to see setting then you can  add your virtual tag...

Yep.  That's what I said  ;)
so  if you right-click the header menu> Customise Panel...> click to show settings
should bring up this panel

wobbly

yes it did  so can i set to show album name  .  as well as disk#

Bee-liever

sure.  just edit your virtual tag for what you want to see.
to get something like you originaly posted
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,"• "<Album>" Disc "<Disc#>" ("<YYYY>") •",)

josephzitt

I'm probably missing something or have forgotten it, but how do I set the "Set Subtitle" tag? It doesn't show up in any tab of the Edit window that I've seen. Similarly, I don't see the "View Configuration" window shown here. An earlier message says to right-click the header menu, but I guess I'm not understanding where that would be either, since that item doesn't come up when I right-click anywhere that I've tried.
Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:26:22 PM by josephzitt

Bee-liever

I'm probably missing something or have forgotten it, but how do I set the "Set Subtitle" tag? It doesn't show up in any tab of the Edit window that I've seen.
The 'Set Subtitle' is one of the pre-loaded custom tags at:
Preferences> Tags (1)> custom tags.
You have to assign it to an empty custom tag slot to be able see and use it in the tag editor.

Similarly, I don't see the "View Configuration" window shown here. An earlier message says to right-click the header menu, but I guess I'm not understanding where that would be either, since that item doesn't come up when I right-click anywhere that I've tried.
If you right-click the header menu, then Customise Panel..,  the "Views Configuration" window will open.
Unless your using 3.2 (as wobbly was) than the last posted image will look slightly different to what you will see.
But all the options are still there, just slightly re-arranged.

josephzitt

If you right-click the header menu, then Customise Panel..,  the "Views Configuration" window will open.
Unless your using 3.2 (as wobbly was) than the last posted image will look slightly different to what you will see.
But all the options are still there, just slightly re-arranged.
I guess I'm not understanding where the header menu, using 3.1.6512, would be. Here's a screenshot of my setup, via imgur.

Or at least it should be there. I've inserted the image tag correctly, but it doesn't appear to be showing. So I'll try it via ImageShack.
Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:34:39 AM by josephzitt

Bee-liever

If you right-click on the A_Z jumpbar, you'll get the dropdown menu with the Customise Panel... option

josephzitt

If you right-click on the A_Z jumpbar, you'll get the dropdown menu with the Customise Panel... option

Ah, OK. I see that that works if I right-click to the left of the letters. If I right-click on them or to the right of them, all I get is "Enable multi-character searches".

josephzitt

This is sweet! Thank you. It may provide a fix for many of my classical music frustrations, as well as for the Grateful Dead album.

Bee-liever

@ josephzitt
Glad you got it worked out  :)

I was going to re-write this how-to but, I think, with the extra questions from yourself and wobbly it now covers a lot more than it used too.
I'll leave it "as-is" for now.  8)

Markus2310

I dont understand how to do this :/

I go to Preferences -> Tags (1) ->  define new tags and set that code:
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •","• Disc "<Disc#>" • "<Set Subtitle>" •"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,,"• "<Set Subtitle>" •"))

into the Virtual 1 field. but t then it sais: "the virtual tag can not be analyzed"

:/