Author Topic: ASIO on Fiio X3 Pt.II  (Read 14473 times)

Mr. Trev

I had an earlier post regarding getting MB to play using ASIO feeding my X3. I was having issues with the playback freezing. I have been upgrading MB (using the most recent beta) and it is much more stable now. Seems like the only time playback will freeze up is when MB switches tracks at a different resolution: eg. 16/44>24/96. Restarting MB will get it playing again - at least until the nex resolution change. WASAPI has always worked fine, but I just can't leave well enough alone ;D. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get ASIO to stop freezing when it changes resolution?
Win 7 x64, latest Mb beta, TUSB audio drivers.
Cheers

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
If your ASIO driver supports kernel buffering, use that instead of hardware buffering.
Keep your buffer size as large as possible.

Make sure you make all changes via MB Preferences panel and restart MB to force take-up of these changes
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
i'm willing to spend a little time this weekend investigating the reason for the behaviour when the sample rate changes - i think a couple of other people have reported the same but i dont recall whether it was the same sound card. Its not something that i can reproduce myself using ASIO4ALL.
perhaps try Bee-lievers suggestions before the weekend if you can to see if that helps.
I have not been making any changes at all so any improvement is unlikely to be from MusicBee itself

Mr. Trev

The TUSB driver only has a USB streaming mode (whatever that is. Can't find a manual, so I keep it at "safe". That was the default and none of the other settings seemed to make a difference anyways), and buffer size (I use 4096 since any lower and it has issues with higher sample rates). I did try disabling hardware buffer in MB, but no joy.
I'm not too worried if it can't be solved, like I mentioned WASAPI works fine (just that exclusive mode thing, but I can live with it)
Thanks for your time.

Steven

• Administrator

Mr. Trev

Mr. Trev

Hi Steven. Not sure if it matters, or if you're willing to put more time looking into this, but I forgot to mention the X3 works in asynchronous mode through USB.
Either way, thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm looking at this today and will give you a test version later. But even if i manage to get a version that works for you, i probably wont include it in the v2.3 release as it would be too much of a change to make at this point.

Steven

• Administrator
this is the test version with the tweaks to ASIO handling:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cnz6f2lx585jeg8/MusicBeeDebugAsio.zip

and if that doesnt work, could you then try this version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1m68g2i01r8751z/MusicBeeDebugAsio2.zip

unzip and replace the existing musicbee.exe
Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:12:11 PM by Steven

Mr. Trev

Hi, Steven. I just did some quick tests. The first version did still have playback freezes, but so far the second version hasn't froze yet. Haven't tried adjusting any of the settings yet, but so far so good.
Thanks for your time working on this. I'm not sure how many people have this problem, and I've been happy just using WASAPI.
Cheers.

Steven

• Administrator
any further testing will be appreciated (and by any other ASIO users) as i have changed my mind and will probably include this change in the v2.3 release

Mr. Trev

Awesome. I'll put the word out over on the Head-Fi forums and see if I can get some other X3 users to try it out as well.

Steven

• Administrator

Alumni

I tried ASIO with my DAC again and I'm still experiencing problems when changing sample rates.
The audio playback becomes distorted as if the playback speed is being increased.
Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:59:36 PM by Alumni

Mr. Trev

Listened a bit more this afternoon. The only problem I ran into is that if my USB streaming mode in TUSB Control Panel is set to anything other than extra safe, the sound gets all crackly & distorted. I'd hardly blame this on MB though (most likely a driver/computer issue - my laptop has some big latency problems that I can't sort out). None of the player settings in MB make a difference positive or negative, so that is a good thing.

The only time I get a speed issue is if I try to use the visualizer. I really don't care about that, and I remember reading that that problem wouldn't be dealt with.

I'll do some more listening tonight, hopefully all continues well....