Author Topic: Album Covers from Discogs  (Read 14053 times)

Steven

• Administrator
It looks like discogs.com is making a change such that in order to retrieve pictures from discogs they will require you to register musicbee as an authorised application. They way i understand it, this is a once only requirement where MB will open a web page and you authorise musicbee in that web page.
However i feel that doesnt fit in too well with how users would expect MusicBee to "just work".
For the people who use musicbee to retrieve artwork, do you feel Discogs is an important artwork source (that you cant get the same picture from other providers).
I'm inclined just to remove discogs as an artwork provider but if people say its important then i will reconsider.
This change doesnt apply to retrieving tags - just artwork

ma_t14

From my experience I get better quality pictures from fanart and gracenote whenever they have one available. Discogs rarely finds a really good quality picture for me and I usually end up using google even if discogs has one (and the other sources don't)

J3Man

Agree with ma_t14. Other providers find much better art in my experience.

Mr. Trev

Never really paid much attention to where the art came from, just clicked on the highest resolution :). Did a few random albums just now and Discogs really didn't do any better than google or gracenote. Personally I'd be willing to do a one time registration (depending on what other info they plan on mining), but I also wouldn't miss disogs if it went away.

redwing

Just like other changes, it's likely that heavy users of the site will show up later and start complaining about its removal. It seems the site has a strong collection on some specialized genres. My suggestion is to disable the site from artwork providers setting by default and put some warnings about the site's registration requirement on the setting's dialog or on a pop-up dialog when it's enabled.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm not very keen to do the extra effort to build the authorisation protocols unless there is a strong reason and from my own experience i have yet to see anything that google or gracenote does not have, and cant recall any times where discogs was the best. It sounds similar to what others are saying.
Lets see if anyone complains

Alumni

I've never used Discogs for artwork. Last.fm is probably the best overall.

ma_t14

I've never used Discogs for artwork. Last.fm is probably the best overall.

Really?  :-\

I always get the worst quality artwork from last.fm

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Ditto.  If fanart.tv doesn't have it, I use album art downloader, which can pull high quality covers from iTunes & Amazon.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

DAC

Nearly all album art, i'll get it from Discogs but i use Discogs directly, not from within Musicbee.
I like the way how it's organised, search for an artist and i will get mostly all the albums, info and art from that artist that is needed.
If the artwork is not complete or too small, i'll look elsewhere.

SimonBRT

Gracenote / Fanart / Google nearly always superior to Discogs.  Would not miss it.

Alumni

Really?  :-\

The issue with last.fm is that they have more than one version of each artwork, so I always download from the website manually.

ThY

Nearly all album art, i'll get it from Discogs but i use Discogs directly, not from within Musicbee.
I like the way how it's organised, search for an artist and i will get mostly all the albums, info and art from that artist that is needed.
If the artwork is not complete or too small, i'll look elsewhere.

I do the same, Discogs has some rare / old covers i don't find anywhere else.
But i don't use it within Musicbee neither. I check and get all my covers and tags manually.

ma_t14

I think that talking about manual downloading of artwork from discogs/last.fm is irrelevant to the purpose of this thread.

On the other hand though I am really curious about how discogs/last.fm have better artwork if you search for them manually and why those do not appear in the Musicbee artwork downloader. Does that have something to do with the respective APIs not giving full access to all the artwork? Steven?

ThY

I think that talking about manual downloading of artwork from discogs/last.fm is irrelevant to the purpose of this thread.

On the other hand though I am really curious about how discogs/last.fm have better artwork if you search for them manually and why those do not appear in the Musicbee artwork downloader. Does that have something to do with the respective APIs not giving full access to all the artwork? Steven?

I didn't say that Discogs/LastFM have better artwork if i search manually, and i didn't say that some of them don't appear in the downloader, i just said that i don't use MusicBee's search engine for that kind of search.
But i gave advice about the quality of a source Discogs can be, and i think this is kind of relevant to the purpose of this thread.