Author Topic: Problems restoring library from backup  (Read 2076 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've been having computer issues, which have resulted in my having to do a clean install of Windows TWICE in the last week.  Ugh.

Anyway, restoring my MusicBee files has mostly gone smoothly, except that I have ended up with missing and broken links in my static playlists, even when I restore the files to the same location as before and move them internally (the issue is that my the name of my user folder is slightly different than before).  So I did a remap music folders at the end and it worked for getting the playlists relinked.  Yay!

I thought it was all done until I discovered that suddenly my library was ~2000 tracks smaller.  I rescanned my library folder, and those 2000 tracks showed up as new files in my inbox.  It was all, or at least most, of the files that were in my static playlists.  Even though they'd been correctly linked in the library previously, somehow they were removed from the library when I did the remap music folders to fix the playlists (this included some files still in the inbox as well as the main library - they were also removed from the inbox and scanned back in).  Most of the files are still in the playlists, though there always seem to be a few that go AWOL.

Maybe this should be a bug report, but it seems like a bigger question of how to make it simple to restore a backup, because right now it's pretty rough.  If you don't do things in exactly the right order you can mess up your library pretty quick.  Things like a user folder with a different name shouldn't cause this much trouble.

And thank god I backup my MusicBee files separately from my Windows Backup.  That was a whole other can of worms...
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

I've been thinking about a simple backup & restore plugin based on MB library xml files. I'll ask boroda74 about this after my skinning work is done.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That would be AWESOME, let me know if I can help.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Skoop