Author Topic: Add option to 'overwrite existing replaygain tags'  (Read 2072 times)

Anti

Regarding the option: prefs -> Tags (2) -> auto-tagging -> tags -> 'calculate and write missing replaygain tags for new music files'
Could there be an additional option underneath to: 're-calculate and overwrite existing replaygain tags for new music files'.

The reason being, a lot of music that users 'acquire' already has replaygain tags set using different methods/settings/levels/etc.
If your collection has different replaygain settings applied to it, then it kind-of defeats the purpose.

It is easy enough to manually overwrite the replaygains each time music is added, but I thought it might be useful to automate it?
Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:24:11 PM by Anti

Steven

• Administrator
right click/ Send To/ Volume Analsys. The files already with volume analysis will not be ticked by default but just click the tick box toggle to select them

Anti

Yep, you're right - it's easy enough to manually overwrite existing replaygains. I just wondered if there was any mileage in being able to automate the overwriting instead, since we can already automate the writing to empty replaygain tags?

A back-story to illustrate my point (and how stupid I am sometimes) - over the last two years I actually thought I was automatically overwriting replaygains every time I added tracks to the library. I recently realised that only empty tags were being written to. So my collection now lacks consistency because other people tagged most of those tracks with different software and replaygain settings. As I understand it, for the whole replaygain concept to work effectively the analysis and tagging needs to be consistent, so now I feel as though I should manually apply replaygains with the same settings across my entire collection(?)