Author Topic: Skin-adaptive toolbar button coloring option  (Read 21805 times)

redwing

Toolbar buttons are very useful, but the downside is that they could look ugly when their colors don't go along well with the skin color. To handle this, I created several color sets of the same icons I regularly use and change the icon set whenever I start using a different skin.

But it would be great if this coloring option is natively supported.

Iasc

+1

or maybe just a way to link a specific set of tool bar buttons to a specific skin so that when you change skin musicbee will automatically use those buttons.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Since it's impossible to predict what specific icons each users will need, what about the ability to specify a subfolder of the Icons folder in a skin file (maybe that matches the skin name, to keep from having to redo all XMLC skins).  Users could set it up so that their preferred icons have the same name in each folder, but the folder changes with the skin.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SimonBRT

this is definitely an annoyance as it is currently.  this alone keeps me from changing skin with any regularity.

as scampbll says, perhaps just the option to choose icons other than those in the root icon folder would improve things.  at the moment i have a huge mess of icons in there that i have to sift through when changing skins.  keeping them neatly organised in subfolders would definitely help.

redwing

Maybe I should be clearer about what I'm requesting.

I am using some of iasc's icon set. Their original colors look like this.

They look beautiful but sometimes too distracting to get along with the skin theme. Hence it would be wonderful if I could right-click the toolbar buttons and tick "skin-adaptive coloring" option and then the icon colors change like the screenshot at the bottom and I could forget about icon colors with whatever skin I'm using as long as the option is ticked.
Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:17:16 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
its easy enough for that to be done and i will include it in the v2.3 changee but i wonder if it might be better as a skin setting (probably just used for dark skins) otherwise most people wont know about it

redwing

its easy enough for that to be done and i will include it in the v2.3 changee but i wonder if it might be better as a skin setting (probably just used for dark skins) otherwise most people wont know about it

Thanks! I'd prefer as a toolbar button setting included either in the buttons configuration pane or in the right-click menu. That would be much easier for people to adjust the setting than editing skins, not to mention those uneditable bitmap skins.

endeavour1934

Yes, that should be setting.

I've made these icons for my skin, and I wouldn't like them to be any other color.

mrad

"too distracting"

Perhaps show icons as the wish-listed skin adaptive by default and then show icons in original colours when mouse hovers over that area. Would work like the star ratings do currently.

KissCool

Well, skin-adaptive toolbar button coloring option is better than nothing but it's not the way to go imo.

This is better:
or maybe just a way to link a specific set of tool bar buttons to a specific skin so that when you change skin musicbee will automatically use those buttons.
This way, you can really choose the colour you want and the icon design.
A skinner should be able to force the choice of icons set and fonts: switching skins wouldn't result with inadequate icons and/or fonts.

redwing

Well, skin-adaptive toolbar button coloring option is better than nothing but it's not the way to go imo.

This is better:
This way, you can really choose the colour you want and the icon design.
A skinner should be able to force the choice of icons set and fonts: switching skins wouldn't result with inadequate icons and/or fonts.

Good idea! Then give me icon sets that I can choose from for each skin.

KissCool

No need to be sarcastic.

redwing

No need to be sarcastic.

And? No comments on the substance? Still my suggestion should be dismisses in favor of yours, or what?
Don't take it personally. I was trying to show what you're missing.

KissCool

Your suggestion:
 + Really effective with (color) variation of the same skin
 - We have to keep the same icon set for all skins
 - We can't choose exactly which color we want for our icons (which color your option gonna choose as the base color? What I mean is your option is great if you want the same color for every element on the tool bar)

iasc & scampbll suggestion (not mine, btw):
 + We are able to have different icon design sets, not only color. It doesn't mean that you have to create a different icon set for each skin. Just want a color variation of the same icon set? You can. That's why I don't understand your sarcasm and what I'm missing.
We could have something like this:
<element id="ToolbarIconsFolder">Flat Design</element>    Just select the same forlder for each skin if you want the same set
<element id="OverrideToolbarIconsColor" fg="255,255,255" />     This way, you don't have to edit icon one by one when you just want a color variation
 + We can choose exactly which color we want for our icons

I just read 2 suggestions in this topic and wrote which one I prefer. And your saying to me to "don't take it personnally"? What's about you?
I could have answered a sarcasm to your sarcasm. Then what? Do you think that if I'm sarcastic with you, you gonna understand better? No, you aren't. Same for me...

So, no, your suggestion don't have to be dismissed in favor of  iasc & scampbll one. BTW, both can be implemented: your's as a MusicBee setting, the other one as a skin setting.
Just my 2 cents.

redwing

So, no, your suggestion don't have to be dismissed in favor of  iasc & scampbll one.

Don't know what changed your opinion, but I'm glad you now see some merits of my suggestion.

I have no objection to the skin setting suggested by others being implemented as an additional option. But still remain some things to consider:

- users have to edit skin files
- not possible to edit bitmap skins (xmlc)
- not many skinners would provide icon sets along with skins
- maybe fun for some, but lots of work to set up for each skin