Author Topic: converting itunes m4p files to mp3  (Read 7937 times)

Breezy

Hi

I made the mistake of buying some songs from Apple and now I would like to convert them so I can actually hear them. I DL'ed and installed BASS_AAC.DLL but now MusicBee says the files are corrupt or unplayable.

How does everyone else deal with this? Out of my 3-4,000 songs I only have a few like this. Should I just pitch them and give up?

J3Man

You could probably burn them to CD then import to MB in the code you like.

tedebear690

My son did that, in obtaining some songs from I-tunes. I googled free mp4 to mp3 converters and then began testing them to see which one had the highest bit rate after conversion. I don't remember any longer which program it was, and there are a ton of free converters out there. So do the same thing as I did, google, then try them out until you find 1 that at least produces 180K, though 192k  is what you should shoot for.

Zak

• Global Moderator
When did you purchase them on iTunes? If it was a few years ago they may have Apple's DRM which might be why they don't work with the Bass AAC plugin.
Bee excellent to each other...

Skoop

Play them and record them simultaneously with audacity.  Save as whatever you want.

Jeff Hardy

Apple Music tracks are DRM-protected and cannot be converted to MP3.

If you want MP3 files, maybe you need a converter to remove drm from apple music, like TuneFab Apple Music Converter.
Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:40:05 AM by Jeff Hardy
I love Jeff Hardy so I want to be A person like him!!!

phred

• Global Moderator

If you want MP3 files, purchase them from an online store that sells MP3 downloads, such as Amazon Digital Music.
Only if the tracks were obtained before 2009. Which is when Apple removed DRM.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

"Apple Music" is the streaming service, right?  I think they're still DRM.

iTunes files are not DRM for a while now as phred indicated.

phred

• Global Moderator
"Apple Music" is the streaming service, right?  I think they're still DRM.
Good to know.

But the OP states he "bought some songs from Apple." Can one buy songs from Apple's streaming service? I just assumed they had to be bought via itunes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

Good to know.

But the OP states he "bought some songs from Apple." Can one buy songs from Apple's streaming service? I just assumed they had to be bought via itunes.
No, but you can download them to a device for offline use.  There are "ways" to retrieve those files.  There are other "ways" to remove the DRM.

OP's language is imprecise in the question, and the fact that he/she can't play the files makes me wonder about their origin.

I thought that, by specifically mentioning Apple Music, Jeff was offering up the possibility that these files had come from there.  That's why I noted the difference between the two.

Wlee2060

If you want MP3 files, maybe you need a converter to remove drm from apple music, like Apple Music Converter.

Thanks for your tips. Worked for me!  ::)

Seansun

I suggest you try Geekersoft Free Video Converter, which can directly convert MP4 to MP3.

Hanna

• iTunes Refugee
Hi

I made the mistake of buying some songs from Apple and now I would like to convert them so I can actually hear them. I DL'ed and installed BASS_AAC.DLL but now MusicBee says the files are corrupt or unplayable.

How does everyone else deal with this? Out of my 3-4,000 songs I only have a few like this. Should I just pitch them and give up?

There are TONS of audio converters out there. For example dBPoweramp is consider "standard" at sites like Redacted (audio filesharing site).
One benefit with that is that you can do batch jobs, for example a few hundred in each go.

There are a ton that can convert just about anything to anything else.  Have you googled "Convert m4p to mp3"?

I have no personal experience since I never bought music from the Apple store. But I've converted lots of other copyrighted files to non-copyrighted.

Here is a forum with people who do a lot of conversions. I'm sure you can figure out how to do it. https://forum.videohelp.com/

When converting you ideally want to avoid loss in the quality of the sound...  It's a bit of a science, but just make sure you check those settings and don't do any more than ONE conversion because the quality is reduced for every conversion you do.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Seansun and Hanna- you're both responding to a thread in which the latest post is more than two years old. And the original post is from 2014. And most of the participants in the thread haven't been on the forum since the day they posted.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Hanna

• iTunes Refugee
@Seansun and Hanna- you're both responding to a thread in which the latest post is more than two years old. And the original post is from 2014. And most of the participants in the thread haven't been on the forum since the day they posted.
Haha, oh well!  I did not check the date, simply saw the thread below my own and wanted to help out where i can....