Author Topic: File Association  (Read 8920 times)

selkov

I am trying to set the default program to play mp3's to Music Bee.
Is there an issue with this?
I am following the standard default program association procedure but it will not accept MB as its choice.

redwing

Right-clicking on an mp3 file from Windows Explorer doesn't work for that?

selkov

Nope.
Even through the control panel - Default Programs - file associations - choose program.
It just does not allow me to choose MB as the default app.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Try running MusicBee as an administrator and turning on "enable MusicBee in Windows explorer" in Preferences.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/General_Preferences
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

selkov

Admin rights have nothing to do with file association. They control file execution.
In order to assign default programs the actual program is NOT RUN.
So running with admin is useless.
Thanks anyway.

Also the enable option is already set.

Steven

• Administrator
Admin rights have nothing to do with file association.
thats not correct. File associations are stored in the windows registry and MusicBee cannot write to the windows registry unless it has Admin rights.
You can set associations in the main preferences and MB will show an error dialog if MB doesnt have the necessary rights to complete the action.

selkov

Solved.
Must have been something in my pc.
Ran CCleaner and JV Power tools.
Cleaned the registry, rebooted and it is now working correctly.
Thanks.

jasongnome

I had the same problem now I've moved to a new PC with Windows 10 and was here looking for the soution.

Run MusicBee as Admin, check the preferences box as above. Then opened settings, default apps on W10 and MusicBee now showed as an option for music files.

You do need to use admin priv for it to work.

z36ra

Setting the default program to open mp3 files didn't work for me. I ran Musicbee in admin mode, selected proper association. All other music programs work without trouble: VLC, Groove, Media Player, etc. The easiest solution for me was to uninstall the program. Shame.. it looked promising at first but this is a deal killer. Maybe I'll look into this in the future or if someone can post the solution here, I'll revisit the issue at a later time.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Once you set the files associations in MusicBee, you should be able to change the settings in Windows, too.  You're not the only person who's had this problem, and there is a solution.

Setting the default program to open mp3 files didn't work for me. I ran Musicbee in admin mode, selected proper association. All other music programs work without trouble: VLC, Groove, Media Player, etc. The easiest solution for me was to uninstall the program. Shame.. it looked promising at first but this is a deal killer. Maybe I'll look into this in the future or if someone can post the solution here, I'll revisit the issue at a later time.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)