Author Topic: Sync button  (Read 5317 times)

9cupsoftea

I mentioned this a while ago I think but it was in a topic about something else. I think it would be really efficient to have a sync button appear when a device connected.

Alternatively, adding a sync option to the already extensive list of toolbar button options would be just as good. It would save me the fiddly trouble of opening a tab, choosing my player from the sidebar, clicking sync, then closing the tab constantly (as the tab doesn't remain for my device when I close it).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
i would be willing to add a hotkey so you can add a toolbar button but why not just set 'automatically sync when the device is connected'

lnminente

I don't remember now, but the "automatically sync when device is conected" shows a dialog for confirmation? If not, i think adding it could be a good solution

9cupsoftea

i would be willing to add a hotkey so you can add a toolbar button but why not just set 'automatically sync when the device is connected'

I have a sansa clip which charges off usb. Sometimes I'd just like to plug it in to charge and take it out without worrying about my playlist changing. Often I leave it plugged in overnight, and in the morning would like to make changes to the playlist and sync before I take it out.

There are also occasions I'll grab music from my work computer or a friends, and I don't want to risk it being deleted immediately upon insertion. We also have a spare clip that I use for storing demos I've made which I wouldn't like to be deleted.

Granted, I might be a fringe case, but still, thanks a lot for the addition. With such a small-memory player it's extremely useful.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Can't speak for the OP, but I do not want automatic syncing.  For one thing, syncing ties up MusicBee a prevents so many other actions. For another I have a particular playlist that gets changed every time I sync, and I need to see the contents of the static version on the device before it changes.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Anti

At the moment each device has its own sync button, which is why I think there is not
one 'global' sync button in the main interface.

So how would a global button work if you had two or three devices attached?
Would it pop-up a dialogue so you could choose the devices to sync?
Would it give you an opportunity to check/change the sync settings (Eg. which playlist(s) to use?)

9cupsoftea

At the moment each device has its own sync button, which is why I think there is not
one 'global' sync button in the main interface.

So how would a global button work if you had two or three devices attached?
Would it pop-up a dialogue so you could choose the devices to sync?
Would it give you an opportunity to check/change the sync settings (Eg. which playlist(s) to use?)

A pop-up dialogue would be fine if Steven wants to account for those cases. You can already set it to have dialogues to pop up when you sync (deleting files, overwriting files, that kind of thing).

skipsy3

When a mobile device is connected it's generally because I want to change the tracks on the device (its storage is only enough for half my library at a time). At the moment it seems the only way to change the selected files is to go into Edit > Preferences > Devices > Auto-Sync Settings, which is a bit of a drag. I noticed that you can right-click on the device name in the navigator pane and at least jump to the main device settings box, but this isn't quite so intuitive.

As there's already a link to the device in the library navigator, why not add a button there that allows you to jump straight to Auto-Sync Settings from there. So you would have two buttons altogether: One for 'Synchronise' and one for 'Open Auto-Sync Settings.'

On the subject of buttons, while a device is syncing there doesn't appear to be a button for 'Pause Sync' - today I had to leave the house while my phone was in the middle of a major sync, and the only option I had was to rip the device off the USB cable, causing an error in MB and leaving me unsure as to what happens next time it connects.
Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:12:59 PM by skipsy3