Author Topic: Vertical artwork view  (Read 39937 times)

redwing

iTunes 11 has one very useful and good-looking layout. It's called artist view and looks like this:

How can MB achieve this kind of layout? Currently we can use library explorer or a vertical track browser with artist field selected. But they are just a list of artist names and can't show any pictures. Hence why not support a vertical artwork view? MB can already show artist pictures instead of iTunes' album cover when grouped by artist, and can also show album artwork, composers as a grouping field. Then we can get a picture list in a vertical panel on the left and Album and Tracks view on the right for the selected artist.

I checked out the wishlist board for a similar idea, and found this thread (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5960.0), but that's a little different proposal from this. Thanks for considering this.

vivadavid

redwing, I like the layout you're showing. If this could be implemented, while keeping the other views, it'd be a great improvement.

+1

ma_t14

I love this!

Maybe this could be implemented by extending the track browser's functionality to allow artist images?

+1

Xyzzy

This is just Library Explorer with images drawn for nodes and placed in a new way.

Steven

• Administrator
just done for the main panel (i probably wont dont this for the library explorer unless there are a number of requests for that)
it will be enabled by default for new users only. To activate, click the panel layout button and choose "Thumbnail Browser" and the grouping you want.
For genres, you can create your own .jpg pictures in folder "MusicBee\icons\Genre"
I suggest you size them at 240x240 as i will also use them for when i enable grouping the artwork layout by genre.

Its not 100% complete - i will round off some of the right click handling. Also i am aware it doesnt show all the files with certain combinations of switching the main panel layout and having track browser items selected

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_3/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip
Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:17:55 PM by Steven

Thorbjorn

Not sure why, but it doesn't work for me. It shows all artist even if I select one.

Thorbjorn

Ok the reason was that I had selected all artists in the track browser which was working even if it was hidden. Is this intended?

Steven

• Administrator
its fixed now - i will post a link later
Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:43:33 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this has the fix for the above and also when switching thumb types with a thumb item selected

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_3/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

ma_t14

There seems to be a visual glitch for me which is more obvious in darker skins. Sometimes a white border appears around the thumbnail browser and goes away, albeit only partly, when switching views.

Video demo: http://screencast.com/t/aa55yw4o

Apart from that this feature is great!

EDIT
The glitch seems to go away completely when resizing the panel
Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:52:31 PM by ma_t14

ma_t14

The only thing I would like to see in a future version is the ability to select larger sized thumbnails for people with large monitors.
Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:12:55 PM by ma_t14

redwing

Thanks for implementing this! Working great!

- bug: when column browser is enabled, the content of <Other fields> and <Custom Sort> are messed up.
- Would be great if right-clicking Artist icon gives the option of selecting Album Artist and Composer too.
- Would be useful if it's possible to sort by track count
- Hotkey and toolbar button support for on/off the browser

Iasc

when the thumbnail browser is disabled it still shows when drilling down in artwork view. it does disappear after restarting musicbee though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us