Author Topic: Re-encoding and play count issues  (Read 8299 times)

dtr

Hi all,

I've just started using musicbee and it seems great so far. I have a couple of problems using it with my philips hdd6320 (an MTP device) though. All of my music is stored as FLAC and I have the sync setup to convert to mp3 which works fine on the initial sync. The issue I have is that, when I reconnect the player, each of the tracks are re-encoded and updated. This obviously slows the sync time down considerably and has the effect of wiping the play counts on the device. The play counts in musicbee are not updated and neither is my lastfm account.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Are there any work arounds available?

Thanks,

Dave

Steven

• Administrator
it might be a while before i can look at this (prob next week)
but before i do could you confirm the files havent been renamed between the first and second sync ?

This should be working though as i do the same on my sony device without it re-encoding, but i'll check all the conditions that trigger a re-encoding

dtr

I haven't changed the files at all.

All I need to do to replicate this error is sync the device, disconnect the device and then reconnect it. The playlist then re-encodes and updates all of the tracks.

Steven

• Administrator
you just sync a playlist rather than the library? also is an auto-playlist or standard playlist?

dtr

Just a standard playlist with one album in. I set it up just to test the sync functionality as a full sync will take a while. I changed the preferences for the device to auto sync that playlist only. I have also changed the device settings so that the tracks are converted to mp3 when they are in a format not supported by the device.

Hope that info helps!

EDIT-

I've just setup a library with one album in it and changed the device settings so that it automatically sync with the library (no need for the playlist anymore) but the behaviour is the same - the tracks are still encoded every time.
Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:58:26 AM by dtr

Steven

• Administrator
if you would still like to have this resolved i will need to give you a debug version as i cant reproduce ie. it doesnt re-encode my flac files whether its in a playlist or main library (I'm also testing on a MTP device)

dtr

Sorry for the delay, I've tested syncing my player with an mp3 only playlist and it looks like it would still take a long time. From the amount of time it takes it looks like the tracks are getting reloaded onto the player (i assume it should take a lot less time than that)
I would happily test a debug version for you. Let me know where I can download it and what steps you would like me to test.

Thanks

Steven

• Administrator
this is a debug version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mjwvwymhznm
just unzip and overwrite the existing MusicBee.exe

but before you run it could you send me all the .dat files located in the musicbee data directory
- if you run MB as a portable application, they are located in the AppData where MB is installed
- otherwise if you run XP, they are located in something like: C:\Documents and Settings\<your id>\Application Data\MusicBee
- otherwise they are located in something like: C:\User\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee

when you synch with this version it will write information to the error log (Help/Support/View Error Log).
If you could send me the results i can check it out.
I'll PM you my email address