Author Topic: Search in multiple places.  (Read 21242 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Does this mean changing layouts on Search Results node is not supported?
correct - i did mention it before. The layout is set to the layout of the source node where the search started. I wont do anything more to disable hotkeys and i doubt they would work correctly in all cases

redwing

OK. Then it stands as a wish. As I reported, it's almost done - only need to fix switching to Album & Tracks layout; switching to other layouts is working fine via either hotkeys or toolbar buttons.

Steven

• Administrator
actually playing around some more i'm not completely happy with the way "Search Entire Library" picks up the fields and layout of the current node - it doesnt always work well if you viewing playlists or web nodes.
So i will probably change it to just use the "Music" node settings or alternatively let the search results have its own fields and layout thats defaults to the "Music" node initially, and if i do either then switching layouts should be easy to do

redwing

So i will probably change it to just use the "Music" node settings or alternatively let the search results have its own fields and layout thats defaults to the "Music" node initially, and if i do either then switching layouts should be easy to do

That'd be awesome! Perhaps the latter option would satisfy more users, assuming each user has a preferred layout for Search Results node depending on one's main usage of searching. But not much differences between the two as long as it's switchable.

Steven

• Administrator
this has the amended display results handling - the search results node now maintains its own layout and fields
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

redwing

Thanks! Now it's working completely consistently. Local search keeps the current node's layout and fields whereas global search with Search Results node keeps its own layout and fields. And now I can switch to any layouts on Search Results node. Excellent work!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A bit of a nitpick, but how about changing "Remove Node" in the right-click menu for Search Results to "Hide Node" or "Close Node".  "Remove Node" just sounds awfully final, like you're getting rid of it forever.  Even knowing that's not going to happen, I still hesitate for a second every time.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
One bug and one inconsistency:

* When I do a search of all nodes and then delete the contents of the search box manually (i.e. with backspace instead of X), the Search Results node disappears from the sidebar but the main window still shows Search Results, with all tracks (as though searching "any field has a value").

* When returning to the Music (or other) node by clearing the search box with X, it always returns me to the top of the node.  Would prefer that it returns to the last position.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
* When I do a search of all nodes and then delete the contents of the search box manually (i.e. with backspace instead of X), the Search Results node disappears from the sidebar but the main window still shows Search Results, with all tracks (as though searching "any field has a value").
thats fixed for the next update

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
thats fixed for the next update

Yup, that's fixed!  Sorry I forgot to confirm sooner.

I can't swear to it, but I think it's been since this fix that there's a new bug.  It's definitely recent, as this was working okay previously.

1) Type a search in the search box
2) Return to Music (or other) node without clearing results
3) Use middle-click to do another search

The Search Results node doesn't do a new search, it just applies the filter to the existing search, as shown here:

MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
i guess its possible it used to work the way you expected. I have changed it so when a middle-click type search is done it resets the text search for the next v2.3 update. I will probably leave v2.2 as-is just in case there is something i have overlooked in making this change

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Awesome, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Working, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)