Author Topic: Countries Flags  (Read 46534 times)

ThY

Hello !
I'm coming with a simple suggestion: could it be possible to add and shape a "Country" tag field somewhere, that will be a list offcourse, associated with flags icons ?

I made a photoshopped example to illustrate this:

In the best case, it should be also possible to have multiple countries and flags, for groups like "13 & God" in my example, which are merged groups.
I thought it could be technically possible to do that, because it's almost like the "loved tracks" icon system, but with more variables.

In the worst case, just have the little flag icon on the "Now playing" window would be great ^^
What do you think about that ?

mrad

ThY

Well... why not ?
Some people display the bitrates of their songs while they're listening to them, so why countries of origin of the artists would be that useless to display ?

When you look at the way musical artists are described or tagged everywhere, first thing that comes is the country where they come from.
So why not have this kind of tag embellished with flag icons in MusicBee ?
Rather than have a new text line on the info panel, an icon would be more pleasant.

I don't know if anybody is tagging their artists with their country of origin, but it can help for personal statistics, curiosity, creating new kind of playlists,... or whatever.

mrad

Well... why not ?
Some people display the bitrates of their songs while they're listening to them,
Yup, bitrate display adds value where one can determine if a higher or lower quality version can be achieved.

so why countries of origin of the artists would be that useless to display ?

When you look at the way musical artists are described or tagged everywhere, first thing that comes is the country where they come from.
I understand articles may publish artist origin, but I never hear people say "Hey band x are from America you know", I cant see many folk redoing tags for this either,

So why not have this kind of tag embellished with flag icons in MusicBee ?
Because this will bloat MB with flag graphics and code for little or no real added value.

Rather than have a new text line on the info panel, an icon would be more pleasant.
Or an overdose of little images where there are already enough on the UI.

I don't know if anybody is tagging their artists with their country of origin, but it can help for personal statistics, curiosity, creating new kind of playlists,... or whatever.
Hmm, again, to play tunes from America is rather vague. A mood filter would make for a better playlist. I am not convinced. But hey, that's only my opinion.

ThY

Yup, bitrate display adds value where one can determine if a higher or lower quality version can be achieved.
On my side, i check bitrates when encoding or stocking my files on my hard drive, i don't use MusicBee for technical purposes.
I think not that many people care of the audio quality of their files, really, but i don't blame the fact that you can display it on MB, from the moment when you can choose to display it or not.
It's the same thing with my "wish" here, you could be able to choose to display it or not, i don't propose to force everyone to do so.

I understand articles may publish artist origin, but I never hear people say "Hey band x are from America you know", I cant see many folk redoing tags for this either,
Again, i didn't propose everyone to re-tag their tracks, because some people already have their files tagged with "country of origin".
You assume here that nobody use this kind of tag, you just have to check the number of artists on LastFm that are tagged with their country of origin to understand that some people just care, when other people just don't care about bitrates ^^

Because this will bloat MB with flag graphics and code for little or no real added value.
Well, i think that if this feature was implemented, i won't like to have flags everywhere on a column like on my photoshopped screenshot.
But i will definitely love to have a single little tiny icon under my cover art (where others would prefer to have the path to the file).
And i don't think a single small icon, that you can choose to display or not will have that negative impact on the interface.
Especially when you look at some screenshots, where some people just like to be surrounded with informations everywhere.
I do prefer clean layout myself, so i don't think that this argument is that valid.

For the code part, if it put real concerns to implement, developers will explain it themselves i think. This post is in the "wishlist" part of the forum, so it's an idea among others.

For the "real added value", it's just subjective as i tried to explain it before.

Hmm, again, to play tunes from America is rather vague. A mood filter would make for a better playlist. I am not convinced. But hey, that's only my opinion.
Yes, and ofcourse you have the right to tell me your opinion, and i understand it
But, when you think a mood filter suits better for a playlist, while i just don't use mood tags, i have to answer to that anyway.
My proposal was not about the tags themselves, anyone can currently create them. The suggestion was about the association with a flag icon, just like the "loved track icon" allows you to watch a picture rather than a text line that would say "Loved Track" or "Not loved Track" ;)

I hope it looks better when explained like that  ;D

mrad

Hmm, I'll be interested to see what people think about this one ;)

All good though.

ThY

Thanks, but again i think you're right: flags icon in a column is maybe too much.
I made this to better illustrate my post ;)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would enjoy this feature, but it's not super important to me.  Seems like it could be a lot of work for Steven relative to the benefit.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MickyD

Just my my 2 halfpennies

The custom TAG is called Nat (for Nationality of course) and contains the relevant details of the performer i.e. "US/Sayreville/NJ" (for Bon Jovi) and I wouldn't change it if I did have flags, insufficient info for me ... but that's just me.

Antonski

+1
I already use a custom tag 'Country' and I think it would be nice to have a flag icon associated with this tag value.

HHM

e-motiv

+1, but as an extra info in the now playing panel, not as a column or in tags (though I am not against the latter, but would take a lot of work, I guess)
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

Zak

• Global Moderator
Rather than being flag specific, a more general implementation of matching images to tag values would meet the OP's request and allow for other uses too.

Random examples:

* icons to distinguish between albums and singles
* icons for occasion (party hat for "Party", Cake for "Birthday", Christmas tree for "Christmas", pumpkin for "Halloween" etc.)
* a little frowny face for low bitrate files

I just realised it might not be as difficult to implement this as I first thought. It just requires an update to the existing Highlighting feature to allow for images as well as colours.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just realised it might not be as difficult to implement this as I first thought. It just requires an update to the existing Highlighting feature to allow for images as well as colours.

+1, though I still wouldn't call it high priority.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Rather than being flag specific, a more general implementation of matching images to tag values would meet the OP's request and allow for other uses too.

Random examples:

* icons to distinguish between albums and singles
* icons for occasion (party hat for "Party", Cake for "Birthday", Christmas tree for "Christmas", pumpkin for "Halloween" etc.)
* a little frowny face for low bitrate files

+1
This is a brilliant idea, allowing for all kinds of creative ways to highlight different groups of tracks with images.