Author Topic: iPod & iPhone Driver  (Read 86670 times)

KiraTM

I only see that if I click on "work offline". If the iPod is physically connected I only get the normal iPod name without any "driver" in its name.

//Edit: I managed to sync the iPod now. After several reboots it looks like this worked for me:

1. Open MusicBee
2. Turn on iPod driver
3. Wait until iTunes is started
4. Connect iPod
5. Click on "iPod driver" in the device list on the left panel.
6. Sync
7. Now all non-compatible files get converted and added to iTunes

By the way, I think I misunderstood something. I thought the files would be stored in my %AppData% path which is not the case. i installed MusicBee on my HDD. The files are copied to MusicBee\AppData\ and there I have enough space.

I know it wouldn't be as easy as normal sync through iTunes but at least it works. Thank you for programming such a nice plugin!
Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:35:03 PM by KiraTM

boroda74

By the way, I think I misunderstood something. I thought the files would be stored in my %AppData% path which is not the case. i installed MusicBee on my HDD. The files are copied to MusicBee\AppData\ and there I have enough space.
this means that you already are using portable mb.

KiraTM

I actually only installed the portable version for testing purposes but when I decided that MB would replace iTunes I installed the "hard-installed" version. But I merged the old path into the new one including the AppData folder.

boroda74

if mb finds appdata folder in mb folder, then it consider itself to be portable and stores all settings and temp files in musicbee\appdata folder rather than in %appdata%\musicbee. also its the only difference between portable and 'normal' mb versions. so you have portable mb now anyway  ;)

KiraTM

Hey, sorry to bother you again. ._.

It didn't work as expected. I probably have overseen something yesterday.

The iPod driver only appears if I click on "work offline". I can sync and MB starts to encode/copy the files to iTunes. I can sync from iTunes to iPod normally then.
But I think it's not meant that way. The sync should start when I press "Sync" in MB.
When I sync the iPod driver again it gets stuck in "Scanning device". There doesn't happan anything for hours.
Or, what also happened once, MB did the whole first sync again: Encode file X, copy it. But since iTunes already have the file in library, nothing actually happens.

However, if I connect my real iPod when I'm asked to do, nothing happens. iTunes started and my iPod only appears if MTP is enabled (as non-compatible device to sync). Means, I don't even have iPod driver listed on my devices.

boroda74

actually "work offline" button was created just for testing purposes, because i didn't have ipod when i started to write this plugin. the way it initially meant to work was to turn plugin on and on this window "work offline or connect ipod" you should just connect your ipod. unfortunately i had lost my lightning cable and can't check something now (i was using ipod nano 5g), but last time i was using my plugin all was fine. i'm doubtful that plugin somehow depends on ipod model, so the only problem i can imagine can be itunes version. my advice is try to use older itunes.

KiraTM

I'm running iTunes 12.1.2.17. What iTunes version do you recommend? What version did you successfully use?

boroda74

as far as i remember plugin was working fine for me with itunes 10. try site 'oldapps.com' to find old itunes.

KiraTM

Works better with iTunes 10.7. My iPod is recognised automatically and iTunes is automatically starting the sync as soon as all tracks are copied to the library.

But one problem remains: Each further sync is hanging at "Scanning device".

boroda74

i'm afraid i'm not able to help you further. the only advice is to try to lower itunes version, but i'm doubtful that this help you.

KiraTM

I got a new workaround but it's not really a "work"-around.
For me, it's all about the playcounts. So I rip a CD twice (one in FLAC for MB, one in AAC for iTunes) and sync normally with my iPod. I installed the Last.FM Scrobbler to scrobble the tracks while syncing with iTunes.
MB synchronizes the playcount from Last.FM. The only problem was to gather all plaxcoutn data and upload it to Last.fm. I used the Universal Scrobbler for that and sturggled a week with scrobbling tracks manually. But now I always have the synchronized playcount.

offroad

So works best with ITUNES 10 and will require a lot of structured settings in ITUNES to prevent various errors in transfer and control of music.  Am glad this is all still supported, but will stick with my original combined ITUNES and COPYTRANS and MUSICBEE bastardized rigged configuration, mostly for adaptability.  Given changes in IOS every year, and changes in ITUNES and improvements with other tools, just like to be more adaptable.

Again to repeat am glad this tool is available to work direct with iphones.  Am sure legacy devices (like IPHONE 4) will definately make use of this plugin

cjh6gc

After essentially giving up on getting my 5.5th gen iPod (Video) to work natively with MusicBee, I've turned to this plugin to do my syncing for me. Seems there's no roses over here though, but maybe that's partially do to my lack of understanding on how the plug in supposed to work.

A few of the issues I'm having:
-the sync process spends an awfully long time (~.5s) "copying" files that don't need to be converted (I thought it just added them to my iTunes library as-is)
-it goes through this process for ALL of my tracks EVERY time, including file conversions, so this takes several hours for each sync
-I used a junction to avoid filling up the plugin's appdata folder, but it looks like it is using the appdata\local\temp folder and not cleaning up after itself (is this the plugin's fault, or MusicBee's?) eventually resulting in my drive filling up and conversions failing

I can't even clean out the temp folder while it's running, because Windows Explorer makes me lose my selection every time a new file is added, so I can't bulk delete the files being created. The temp files can be bulk deleted by running "del MusicBee_*" from command prompt, but it's still a manual process.

Any thoughts on these issues? As-is for me the plugin is essentially useless, since it causes a ~150GB write on my SSD and takes several (3+) hours every time I run it, even if nothing has changed.

Additional info:
Windows 10
MusicBee 3.0.6190
iTunes 9.1.2.5
I haven't introduced the iPod into the equation yet. I'm still using the "offline" mode.
Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:23:22 PM by cjh6gc

guijo

Hi everyone, thanks to the developer(s) for developing this "life-saving" plugin which I just started using.

One simple question: is there a way to keep the playlists' sorting order?

I'm talking about auto-playlists sorted by title, BPM... they used to synchronize effectively on my much older iPod (which didn't require the driver) but their order is now messed up in iTunes and the new iPod.