Author Topic: Improvements for Album and Tracks view with list heading  (Read 50312 times)

vivadavid

Hello,

This is a great feature, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. In "sub-grouping header", I can only choose one tag, and SETSUBTITLE isn't there. This is what I wanted to do:

1. Use GROUPING in a similar way as I use DISCNUMBER, so that I can see "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc. displayed.
2. Use SETSUBTITLE for the bonus tracks, for example.

This is what I manage to do now:

1. I get the tracks separated by an empty space thanks to the DISCNUMBER tag. I can't see "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" displayed, which isn't a big deal, unless, as in the examples given by marlonob, each disc has a specific name.

2. I use GROUPING not for each disc, but to specify the bonus tracks.

Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks!

(Note: I’m testing this feature with a particular album. I’m using an external tool for the tags and then I’m forced to rescan the whole library, which takes a long time. Is there a way to rescan just an album? I’ve tried to untick a certain folder where I have most of my albums, but MB keeps rescanning the whole contents of my library.)

vivadavid

About my note at the end of my previous post. If I double-click on the name of the album, on the three-column list, and then I click on "Send to", then something called "File rescan", but nothing seems to happen.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
the new setting would take extra space so go against that option but will investigate it if there is a wish for it.
I'm good with the way it is myself
Thanks for clarifying the reasoning behind it.  I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not.

@ vivadavid
highlight your album, right-click> Send To> File Rescan should work
or you could try navigating to the folder in the LH computer node>right-click>Rescan Files
For the sub-grouping, it would be a lot easier to see what you are trying to achieve, if you could post a shot or two of your settings please
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

vivadavid

@Bee-liever, I have managed to rescan a particular album by going to the Album and tracks panel and clicking on album art. All the tracks get selected and rescanning works. I wished I could rescan from the three-column list, because if I edit the tags of a particular artist, I could rescan all the albums at the same time.

As for the sub-grouping headers, what I mean is that, if I go to Album and tracks Layout, I can only set one tag, and not two (SETSUBTITLE and GROUPING, for example); also, SETSUBTITLE isn't available. What I was hoping to do is use the GROUPING tag to set DISC 1 and DISC 2 and use SETSUBTITLE to set BONUS TRACKS inside DISC 2. As I said, it's not a big deal: I can use DISCNUMBER to create the space between tracks (normally discs don't have a particular name, but DISC 1 and DISC 2) and use GROUPING to set the bonus tracks.

Bee-liever

@ vivadavid
if you use Library Explorer and right-click an Artist, you can rescan files there as well
have you set SETSUBTITLE as a custom tag? it won't be available in the drop-down until you do

"The Surplus Maximus EP" is the Set Subtitle tag

vivadavid

@Bee-liever

1. I've tried using the Libraty Explorer, but nothing happens: the files aren't rescanned.

2. I've just created a custom tag, a concept that I didn't know. At first, I had a problem, though, because I clicked on "Define new tags", I typed SETSUBTITLE and I didn't get this tag in other places in MB. Instead, I just typed SETSUBTITLE in Tags (1) ==> Custom tag 3 and now it works. Should I go again to New Custom Tag Definition and I delete what I wrote there? I don't understand why custom tags can be created in two different places.

I have another question: if SETSUBTITLE doesn't seem to be a standard tag and MB only allows you to use one tag for sub-grouping header, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of SETSUBTITLE and just use GROUPING for your bonus tracks (or for DISC 1 and DISC 2 if you want to see these labels)?

Bee-liever

@ vivadavid
sorry. I thought you knew about custom tags
SETSUBTITLE is a standard tag, just not used by everyone, that's why you have to put it into the custom tags
It's already in MB, you just have to assign it a tag slot

put SETSUBTITLE in the LH column (or whatever you want - I used the same as MB) and Set Subtitle will be an available choice in the RH column. Save and restart and SETSUBTITLE will be in the menus

I'm using a virtual tag I created, MultiDisc, that displays the disc# and setsubtitle (if available) for my sub-grouping. • Limited Edition • in my previous pic (under the album title) is also using the Subtitle tag.

I suppose it's down to how little or how much you want to customise the look of MB

+ have look at my post back here and you can see where I used Disc# in my grouping before. I've just changed it around a bit to take advantage of the new setting. You could use Disc# to separate your discs into albums and setsubtitle for your bonus tracks on each disc.
Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:34:44 PM by Bee-liever

Pingaware

Two very small (I hope) additional requests. Could we please have a single empty row before the Sub-Header as well (unless there is already an empty space due to the presence of a second disc)? I feel this would make it look neater. And could clicking on a sub-header highlight the relevant tracks just like clicking on a grouping header does please? Even if these can't be done, this is a brilliant addition. Thanks again Steven!
The 2nd I was planning to do. The first, for the extra spacing does anyone else have an opinion on that?

Great news about the second request. My request for the first was based solely on how albums like this currently look:

[IMAGE DELETED FOR SPACE-SAVING REASONS]

I feel that this looks quite inconsistent and would be improved with an extra space.
Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:15:20 PM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

vivadavid

@ Pingaware

I see your point, but personally I prefer the empty space to separate the tracks from different CDs. If it could be made optional, everyone could set it the way he wants.

@ Bee-liever

Using virtual tags seems interesting, though I wouldn’t like to mess up with things too much. I’ve seen your previous post again, and for me it’d be essential for the album cover to be displayed just once. I guess I don’t need both tags, and I can just use GROUPING or SETSUBTITLE for bonus tracks, etc, since the division, the emty space, is already created by DISCNUMBER.

Steven

• Administrator
I feel that this looks quite inconsistent and would be improved with an extra space.
can you confirm the extra space is because the disc number has changed and if so, as vivadavid suggest i could change the spacing between discs to be optional

vivadavid

@Steven,

Well, I meant making optional the space before a particular set of tracks, as defined by GROUPING or SETSUBTITLE. I think everything will agree the space to separate diferent discs of an album is always useful, although, of course, if it's made optional too, that'd be fine.

beeing good

This is really great, thanks for implementing it Steven.
I would just like to request the title to be clickable so that it selects that group (same goes for separate discs).

Now I just need to go through my whole library and retag as necessary  :-\

Pingaware

Can you confirm the extra space is because the disc number has changed and if so, as vivadavid suggest I could change the spacing between discs to be optional

No, the extra space there is inserted after the end of the grouping to to show the end of the grouping. See picture below.

All of the tracks are on the same disc. The first grouping (Chapter One) is highlighted in blue. There is then a space after the end of the first grouping before the next track. Then after the next track is the second grouping (Chapter Two), highlighted in green. If possible, I would like a space before the heading of the second grouping, where the red line is, to improve the appearance of the library. However...

In this instance, where all of the second disc has been grouped as highlighted by the blue, I don't feel that a space should be put in before as this would look strange. Hopefully I've been a bit clearer this time!
Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:15:06 PM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Steven

• Administrator
i have already added an option to insert an extra space before the sub-header in the next v2.2 update.

but i still dont understand why the spacing is being inserted between 05 and 06. Is it there is you disable the sub-header?
There is then a space after the end of the first grouping before the next track.

Steven

• Administrator
this has the extra spacing option for the sub-header, and clicking the sub-header now selects the relevant tracks (not done for the change of disc gap)
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

it also fixes a bug where the sub-header wasnt working if you have "do not show artwork for albums with less than X tracks" enabled
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:56:43 AM by Steven