Author Topic: Playlists in 2.2  (Read 18884 times)

Darwin4Ever

"Starting MusicBee v2.2, all static library playlists have been converted to the internal MusicBee playlist format with a .MBP extension.
If you have other applications that read the playlist files, you can configure the playlist definition in MusicBee to export in any chosen playlist format (right click/ Edit Playlist and tick "automatically export a static copy"). The exported files will be saved to the Export folder as defined in the Library Preferences dialog."

I don't consider this as a step forward  :( The user must now do extra actions for every playlist when M3U-playlists are needed !
Isn't it possible to foresee a parameter in the settings, so that the static playlists are created automatically ?

Steven

• Administrator
yes, see the edit playlist dialog where you can tick "automatically export a static copy"

Darwin4Ever

Hi Steven,

I know that and my concern.
That setting must be activated manually for every playlist.
I was referring to a general setting applicable on all (old/new) playlists automatically without user interaction.
Playlists also may come from outside MusicBee

jaume

I agree with this. Ideally, we should be able to choose a preferred file format under 'library playlists' in the same way we are able to do so on the 'exported playlists'.

This would make it a lot easier when using other software without the need of having to have an exported folder.

jaume

For example, in my case, I use listFIX to repair broken playlists. This app does not recognise .mbp files, so I am forced to export files, fix them and replace then the .mbp file with the newly fixed one.

Too many steps involved. Also, the exported playlists folder does not replicate my playlist folder structure and folders, making it then really hard to know where things are.

redwing

I agree with this. Ideally, we should be able to choose a preferred file format under 'library playlists' in the same way we are able to do so on the 'exported playlists'.

This would make it a lot easier when using other software without the need of having to have an exported folder.

It's already possible. Try updating your MB to the latest v 2.2 patch.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Latest_Update

jaume

Thanks for your reply. I have the latest patch and this is how my preferences appear. As you can see in the image linked below, there is no drop-down option for the file type in 'library playlists'. So I am limited to the MBP type.

Any ideas?

redwing

But other options are available for "exported playlists"?

FYI, consult the following thread about the playlist format discussion:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10459.0
Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:08:31 PM by redwing

jaume

Thanks again.

I am already using that functionality as explained earlier on.

The idea would be to be able to set up the file format in 'library playlists' too. I can see in the other thread that the MPB choice is mainly to do with performance.

I woud rather have the option to sacrifice performance over pragmatism as I find having playlists that can only be edited in MB is not ideal.

Would it be possible to add a dropdown option in 'library playlists' in the same way as in 'exported playlists' to allow users to make the decision?

Darwin4Ever

I woud rather have the option to sacrifice performance over pragmatism as I find having playlists that can only be edited in MB is not ideal.

Can't agree more.

The Playlist-functionality is completely useless for me, the way it is now.
Probably ok for people using MusicBee for everything, but not when different dedicated programs are used for specific tasks

The way I proceed normally :
1. EAC : ripping to FLAC/CUE
2. EAC : creating MP3 from FLAC/CUE
3. MP3TAG : primary cleanup/modification of received FreeDB/MusicBrainz TAGS
4. MP3TAG : renaming files upon TAGS
5. MP3TAG : creation of M3U
6. MusicBee : maintaining complete library, secundary overall modification of TAGS
7. MusicBee : syncing PlayLists with portable player

As a result of the MusicBee playlist-handling, after (6) I'll have to redo (4)(5) and reimport in MusicBee

Frustrating, as I had already to do the cleanup twice, once as described above for the MP3, but also in MusicLabel used for the CD-library. The more MusicLabel uses CDDB which data is never identical to the other two. I wished I could have everything in sync.

So I'll have to find a way to instruct MusicBee to ignore importing Playlists and manage only those which have been setup in MusicBee

Steven

• Administrator
i am not planning to change the current playlist functionality

Steven

• Administrator
on further thought i will put in an option to save library playlists as .m3u but on doing so will restrict the playlist functionality such as custom fields/ views, virtual files in a single file cuesheet etc

jaume

Thanks, Steven. That's fantastic news.

Another point that I thought of... Would it be possible that when playlists are exported they do so in a similar folder structure?

For instance, if we export J:\My Music\Playlists\Mixes\Playlist1.mbp (J:\My Music\Playlists\ being the path setup under 'library playlists') we get J:\Exported Playlists\Mixes\Playlist1.m3u (J:\Exported Playlists\Mixes\ being the path set up under 'exported playlists')

Steven

• Administrator

jaume

This is absolutely fantastic. Many thanks. Another benefit on this is that now all my .wpl have been converted to .m3u and can be used everywhere!  :)