Author Topic: iPod Sync Problem  (Read 10703 times)

kiequoo

I've been using MusicBee for a few weeks now and it's great, so recently decided to go the final step and let it sync with my iPod.  However as it syncs it uses more and more memory and eventually crashes with an out of memory error.  I have 4gb so this should be a problem!  My music collection is quite big though at about 14000 songs.  Any ideas?  Would love to get this working and finally get rid of itunes!

Steven

• Administrator
did you clear the device before synching with musicbee (i'm not suggesting you do that) ie. is it copying new files or updating files already on your ipod? you should see on the synch dialog window if you dont minimise it

and are you using on-the-fly conversion and/or volume leveling - could you let me know what the synchronisation settings you use are
Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:36:32 PM by Steven

kiequoo

I've actually tried it a few times,  first time I didn't clear the device but it just started copying all my music across and it ran out of space pretty quickly (there was only about 5gb free).  So I restored it in iTunes which removed everything and then tried to sync again with Musicbee, which is when it crashed with an out of memory error.  Restored it again and tried to sync again but I got the same problem, so let iTunes put all the music back.  I'm using the default sync settings in Musicbee, no conversion or volume levelling.

Steven

• Administrator
ok, i'll check it out tomorrow
One other thing useful to know - what version of MB are you using?

kiequoo

Steven

• Administrator
i believe i found the problem and hopefully this will fix it for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nnzjoydo3wu

kiequoo

Thanks Steven, but I just tried it and still have the same problem.  It did seem to get a bit further than before but still crashes with an out of memory error after about 70% done.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm going to need to give you a debug version to see what is going on - i was pretty sure i had found the problem as it was doing the same for me (on a smaller scale).
Did you definitely unzip and overwrite with the version i sent? (it does happen!) could you confirm with help/ about

kiequoo

The version no is 1.2.3752, is that right?

Steven

• Administrator
that sounds right - later in the week i will try to prepare a debug version to see what is going wrong in your case

Steven

• Administrator
i've been through this and i cant find where its not freeing memory so if you are looking for a resolution to this please let me know and i will prepare a debug version for you to run

kiequoo

Hi Steven,

I actually tried it again without wiping my iPod first and it did just copy the stuff that was in MusicBee and not on my iPod which is great.  However I now have another problem, which is that I really want to submit what I listen to on my iPod to Last.fm and this doesn't seem to be working.  I'm guessing this is because it uses the playcount and the playcount on my ipod is the itunes playcount and not the musicbee one, is there any way to update it?

Dan

Steven

• Administrator
when you auto-synch an iPod, MB checks the playcount for each track on the ipod and adds the incremental (from when you last synched the ipod) playcount to the main library.
I just checked now and thats still working.
However, I see there is no logic to submit the updated tracks to last.fm in this circumstance (which is strange because i thought i had done that).

edit:
i've added the logic in so it will now scrobble tracks that have an increased playcount as a result of auto-synching with your ipod. There is one limitation to be aware of - last.fm puts a restriction such that you cant scrobble a track more than once in a certain timeframe. So that means if you listen to a track twice on your ipod before auot-synching, it will only get scrobbled once.
Its included in the next MB update
Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:13:21 PM by Steven

kiequoo