Author Topic: [Feature Request] Close to Notification Tray / Click Notification Tray Icon to..  (Read 31784 times)

cproo12

I registered just to agree with this and maybe elaborate for better understanding.

I have been using Musicbee since January 2021, and I love it, but this one feature (or lack thereof I guess) is so frustrating.

The missing feature is the ability to close to notification tray.

This means that minimizing the window will minimize it to the taskbar normally. If you are using the app, want to minimize it, but know you are going to come right back to it, its still right there in the taskbar next to all your other currently in use applications (bottom left).

What we all want is the ability to press the close button (X) and MusicBee will hide itself in the notification tray. This is nice to not clutter up the taskbar when many other things are open, but still keep the app running so I can listen to music while working on other things.

Currently, the feature to "Minimize to taskbar" exists, however this only affects usage of the minimize button, which means it is no longer possible to minimize MusicBee to the taskbar, so if I want to hide it, the only place it will go is to the tiny button in the bottom right, something I cannot quickly access with keyboard shortcuts (Windows Key + T > Tab > Arrow keys to select musicbee > Space to open it)

Also, even though the minimize to taskbar feature works, if we accidentally click the X, it exits the application, instead of minimizing it, pausing our music, and now we have to reopen it, play my music again.

Obviously we are all here to nitpick and be extreme about it. The feature is a very small addition, but I think it is a must-have for an application that runs in the background on my computer 24/7.

Applications that support this feature:
* Adobe Application Manager
* AutoHotKey
* Battle.Net
* Discord
* Epic Games Launcher
* EVGA Precision X
* Google Chrome (And all chromium based browsers)
* Logitech Options
* Microsoft Teams
* Microsoft Skype
* NVidia GeForce Experience
* OBS Studio
* Origin
* Rainmeter
* Rockstar Games Launcher
* Spotify
* Steam
* Tixati
* Ubisoft Connect
* Windows Bluetooth
* Windows Math Input Panel
* Zoom

F0ksay

• My English is not so good so
Wish Musicbee could do something, it's been a while since the request. Or explain why it's impossible...
New options/features are implemented by Steven (the only developer) based on a number of factors, including but not limited to, the number of people asking for the option, the ease of implementation, and how much time he has available.

From 2013 until your 2017 post there was no one who expressed interest. From your initial post until now there have only been two or three people who said they'd like it. Not an overwhelming response for a user base of tens of thousands.

Difficulty in understanding English/Russian kept some people from coming here to express the feature request,at least in Chinese forums.
(no Chinese language option and the Google translation is just much worse than you can imagine)
Some put up with it and unwilling to register.
Some are used to it.
Others came here to give the suggestion.
I guess that's why there are so few people for +1 in this post.

And +1 pls.
Since Steven has limited time,if this "optional function" is realized,I will greatly appreciate it,but if not ,I am also OK with that.

(I'd just known MB last night. I spent an hour reading the explanations and finishing the settings.I found the process a little annoying ,but later I just found MB is just as great to me as VSCode to a programmer ;D -------- Steven is my superhero lol !)
Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:43:33 PM by F0ksay
My English is not excellent so just tell me when you can't understand what I am talking about :'(
It's just fine :)
By the way Steven is my superhero ;D

Capt_Blakhelm

Honestly, I love that MB is now one of the "rare" programs now that actually close when I say FREAKING CLOSE. But "Close to Dock to tray" bas become quite the standard in many Windows application, so it wouldn't hurt to have that option.

I'm pretty sure some programs like uTorrent docks to the tray when you click 'Close' by default, but you can change an option to force it to actually close legacy style.

so I guess

+1

bad1080

1. Option to Close to Notification Tray

yes, please!
(made an account just for this)
Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:37:43 AM by bad1080

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Out of a dozen tray apps (Syncthing, Calibre, VoIP, Torrent, every Games Store), MusicBee is the only one that doesn't close to tray, and most annoying since I open it often.
The lack of votes is a selection bias, not everyone will register on the forum to complain, or will find another app.

- It's basically a service with DLNA running in the background, a warning "Are you Sure? Yes/No" would be nice.
- Without looking, it's quicker/easier to hit the close button instead of aiming for minimize.
- It's expected, every music player has the option close to tray.
- It's impossible:

I made an AutoHotKey script for those you can't live without:

Code
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force

; Close to Minimize
Classes := "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2bf8098_r7_ad1" ;
Loop, parse, Classes, `,
    GroupAdd, GroupName, ahk_class %A_LoopField%

SetTimer CheckMouse, -100
return

CheckMouse:
    CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
    MouseGetPos, mX, mY, WindowUnderMouse
    WinGetPos, wX, wY, wW, wH, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        CloseButton := (mY > wY and mY < wY+35 and (mX > wX + (wW-50) and mX < wX+wW))
    SetTimer CheckMouse, -100
return

#If (CloseButton)

~LButton::
    ~RButton::
        MouseGetPos,,, WindowUnderMouse
        WinGetClass, Class, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        If Class in %Classes%
        {
            WinMinimize, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        }
    return

This script works only if you do not click on an empty space in your playlist (and probably other places as well). The moment you click on an empty space in your playlist to clear your selected song the script no longer works and pressing X will close MusicBee again. Sad to see this isn't yet implemented into the player itself.
Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:25:06 PM by MegasXLR

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hiccup

Out of a dozen tray apps (Syncthing, Calibre, VoIP, Torrent, every Games Store), MusicBee is the only one that doesn't close to tray…
Sad to see this isn't yet implemented into the player itself.

Why not just use Windows' shortcut keys for this?:
[Windows key] + [Arrow down]

Your muscles and nerves will be grateful, and your brain won't have to remember if you have re-purposed the close button to do something it is not intended to do.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Out of a dozen tray apps (Syncthing, Calibre, VoIP, Torrent, every Games Store), MusicBee is the only one that doesn't close to tray…
Sad to see this isn't yet implemented into the player itself.

Why not just use Windows' shortcut keys for this?:
[Windows key] + [Arrow down]

Your muscles and nerves will be grateful, and your brain won't have to remember if you have re-purposed the close button to do something it is not intended to do.

It's not for me haha, but I'm not the only one using this computer. You have no idea how annoying it is when I lay on my bed listening to music and another person just presses 'X' to close everything before starting to use the PC, killing my music :(

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hiccup

It's not for me haha, but I'm not the only one using this computer. You have no idea how annoying it is when I lay on my bed listening to music and another person just presses 'X' to close everything before starting to use the PC, killing my music :(
What you perhaps could do is run MusicBee in a (hidden) virtual desktop.:

Press [Win]+[Tab], select 'New desktop'.
Start MusicBee in that desktop.
Press [Win]+[Tab] again en go back to the main desktop.
It will be very difficult for anyone to accidentally close MusicBee then.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Well that is a workaround for sure. Guess I'll try it out.

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Update: The AutoHotkey script works 100% when using my FHD monitor but didn't work 95% of the time when I had a 4K one. Who would've thought that can also make a difference.

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

YJ991

Rycia

+1 on this. I am used to hitting x on spotify to minimize and hitting x on musicbee just closes it. I always accidentally close musicbee by habit and it's a huge annoyance. If I want to close musicbee, I would just right click the taskbar icon and close it from there.

geodeo5

I vote for these two new options too as described in the original post :

1) An option to minimize MB to the system tray when close is pressed on main gui
2) An option to single click show & hide the main gui when you click on the MB icon in the system tray. Basically you click the little bee icon in the system tray and main gui appears then you single click that same system tray icon again and the MB main gui disappears back into the system tray. Winamp had a plugin for this called "One Click Show & Hide.dll"... it's so practical so MB doesn't take up any space on the taskbar

There seems to enough votes now for this so can you please make this happen? :-)

voodoopunk

Can we please not have clicking close minimise to tray, it's close for a reason... not minimise.

phred

• Global Moderator
Quite frankly, I don't understand why this is still being discussed. As others have said, the upper right corner X is Windows standard for eXiting an application. Users clicking the X expect the application to EXIT. Clicking on the minimize button will MINIMIZE the software. MB offers users four options when choosing to minimize the application. Preferences > General > application > minimize to.

This should really be the end of the discussion.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here