Author Topic: [Feature Request] Close to Notification Tray / Click Notification Tray Icon to..  (Read 31773 times)

EGraf

new to musicbee, it looks great but I also was searching if there was an option like the one asked. +1 from me.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Seeing how Spotify has this I'd love such an option for MusicBee as well. Just started using it a few days ago and it's an amazing player for my local mp3 files. Wish this would come too :)

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hugmenot

Out of a dozen tray apps (Syncthing, Calibre, VoIP, Torrent, every Games Store), MusicBee is the only one that doesn't close to tray, and most annoying since I open it often.
The lack of votes is a selection bias, not everyone will register on the forum to complain, or will find another app.

- It's basically a service with DLNA running in the background, a warning "Are you Sure? Yes/No" would be nice.
- Without looking, it's quicker/easier to hit the close button instead of aiming for minimize.
- It's expected, every music player has the option close to tray.
- It's impossible:

I made an AutoHotKey script for those you can't live without:

Code
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force

; Close to Minimize
Classes := "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2bf8098_r7_ad1" ;
Loop, parse, Classes, `,
    GroupAdd, GroupName, ahk_class %A_LoopField%

SetTimer CheckMouse, -100
return

CheckMouse:
    CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
    MouseGetPos, mX, mY, WindowUnderMouse
    WinGetPos, wX, wY, wW, wH, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        CloseButton := (mY > wY and mY < wY+35 and (mX > wX + (wW-50) and mX < wX+wW))
    SetTimer CheckMouse, -100
return

#If (CloseButton)

~LButton::
    ~RButton::
        MouseGetPos,,, WindowUnderMouse
        WinGetClass, Class, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        If Class in %Classes%
        {
            WinMinimize, ahk_id %WindowUnderMouse%
        }
    return

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
I made an AutoHotKey script for those you can't live without:

You are awesome! Thanks so much for this. I tried many solutions found around the internet but they all worked on apps that are not made using WinForms so didn't work for MB. I tried editing the class part but still didn't work. This works perfectly the way I expect it to :) Right now I have to complete my bachelor's degree but when I find some free time I'll definitely try to create a plugin which enables this functionaility. Maybe with options to choose where to minimize it to - taskbar or tray. Again thanks so much :P
Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:35:07 AM by MegasXLR

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

anaewaR9

Just recently switched to MusciBee and love it... apart from that one missing feature that is really driving me crazy: out of habit from few other music players, I always click on close X when I want to dismiss my music player window but keep on listening to my music... BUT, sadly, I always end up in deafening silence  :(

So, a big +1 for Close to Tray

rajjawa

The lack of votes is a selection bias, not everyone will register on the forum to complain, or will find another app.

+1 for the Idea

I concur with this completely and registered for this forum simply to register my vote in favor of the feature addition. I was looking for an app on Windows as I had used a Mac and iTunes for 10 years. MusicBee handles a big library well but this, seemingly simple and standard, feature is highly missed.

hiccup

Honest question here.
(because I do respect the sentiment many MusicBee users seem to share on this matter)

Personally I like it when things are as unambiguous as they can be.
Close closes, Minimise minimises.
That works very well for me. If I click the wrong icon, that's on me.
And I really hate it when I am under the impression that I have closed an application by clicking 'close', and then I find out it's still alive.

So could it be this is more about some Pavlov habit for some users to click on the utter top-right icon to get a panel out of sight?
Maybe the wish should then be to have an option to switch the positions of Close and Minimise, so Minimise can be located at the far right?

ma_t14

Honest question here.
(because I do respect the sentiment many MusicBee users seem to share on this matter)

Personally I like it when things are as unambiguous as they can be.
Close closes, Minimise minimises.
That works very well for me. If I click the wrong icon, that's on me.
And I really hate it when I am under the impression that I have closed an application by clicking 'close', and then I find out it's still alive.

So could it be this is more about some Pavlov habit for some users to click on the utter top-right icon to get a panel out of sight?
Maybe the wish should then be to have an option to switch the positions of Close and Minimise, so Minimise can be located at the far right?

It's a rather common behaviour in many newer programs now days, so having it as an option would be useful as a lot of people are already accustomed to it.

The way I see it and have used it is, for some programs you don't want to close them under any circumstances unless it's very intentional, like right-click on the tray icon + close is. You wish to have the program always at hand to bring up whenever and do something with it, so closing it completely is something out of the ordinery in this usecase. MB for a lot of people is one of those "always there" programs I imagine.

Another reason is, the action to Close can be then used as a "get out of the way" (move to tray) action instead, with the same principle of not closing completely still applying, while the action Minimize can then be a more visible way to keep the program at hand e.g. keep in the task bar / minimize to mini player. So you essentialy gain one more function this way.

In some cases I've seen programs use an additional "minimize to tray" button in the window controls bar to achieve this.

But since the requested behaviour is an already pretty standarized way of achieving it, I don't think implementing it in other another way such as adding an extra button or switching the buttons around would be as sensible.
Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:20:01 PM by ma_t14

phred

• Global Moderator
If this is implemented, I think using the words "close to tray" would be misleading. "Close" means close. Or exit. Better verbiage would be "minimize to tray."
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

I agree with hiccup I think closing a program should close a program and hate when I think I closed a program and it's sitting there running in my tray.  Close should mean close.

"Minimize to Tray" (along with a bunch of other minimize options) already exists in general preferences.

phred

• Global Moderator
"Minimize to Tray" (along with a bunch of other minimize options) already exists in general preferences.
Great point!
So what's the request for? It appears that this is already implemented. Unless the OP (and the others) want MB to exit and then sit in the tray. In which case MB can be pinned to the taskbar and remain there whether opened or closed. So again, this request is not necessary as far as I can tell.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here