Author Topic: Spell checker...?  (Read 4392 times)

Xyzzy

Hi

What do you think about a spell checker? Check your tags, and lyrics. Display red squiggle in panels for misspelled words. Add new words to dictionary. Get rid of all the misspelled tags at last...

vivadavid

It seems like a lot of work to me, but I might be wrong. There are two problems I can think of:

1. In a music library, there's a mixture of languages, and for example, British and American spellings are different, which makes things worse.
2. There are many proper names too.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I can see how it would be useful for (some) lyrics and comments, but that's about all. A large percentage of band, song and album titles are deliberately misspelled or just made up and as David said, solo artists proper names are also going to be flagged as errors. You'd spend more time adding words to your custom dictionary than you would fixing actual errors.
Bee excellent to each other...

Xyzzy

I can see how it would be useful for (some) lyrics and comments, but that's about all. A large percentage of band, song and album titles are deliberately misspelled or just made up and as David said, solo artists proper names are also going to be flagged as errors. You'd spend more time adding words to your custom dictionary than you would fixing actual errors.

I completely disagree here. I don't know what music you refer to, but 99% of album, band and song names I come across are standard language. Proper names are different story, but still they need to be added to dictionary just one time.

ma_t14

I never found myself needing a spell checker when tagging. Especially when using the auto-tagger spellings are taken care of. As for lyrics (which I download using Minilyrics) I doubt I would ever bother correcting spellings manually, that would be too much work with not enough value to compensate the effort.

Also taking into account the actual work needed to implement something like this I would rather concentrate on other features/refinements

This insta-goes to the bottom of the list for me  :-\

Antonski

You'd spend more time adding words to your custom dictionary than you would fixing actual errors.

Agree, also there might be entries in other languages, so there should be module for every language.
Too much work for arguable benefit.

lnminente

Some thoughts:
-About different languages. It shouldn't be a problem for my configuration as I have physically split my library by language. One folder for english songs, one folder for spanish songs, and other folders for best music in italian, french, catalan, german, and finally others.
-For artist field it would not help much.
-For title field of tracks it could be helpful, but maybe the last.fm spell checker is more convenient.
-For lyrics it would be useful but rarely I would use it. The first problem i see with it is the different formats, for example i use minilyrics with priority to .lrc files, later .txt and finally MB tries sometimes read a embedded. Here we see the convenience of having the lyric in a external file as maybe all of this would be as easy as sending it to an external editor and if possible passing to it the language in the command line.

While i see it helpful I give a +0 as i would use it rare times and have a workaround.

The workaround is using any text box in Firefox, for example i have enabled spell checking in english for this site, and spanish for facebook. We paste the lyric in that text box, fix it, and we copy and paste it to minilyrics.

Another thought is it could be really convenient sending this wish to the MiniLyrics developer