Author Topic: Relative Artist Pictures Location (folder.jpg)  (Read 9926 times)

LDGEB

Summary: Artist picture from parent folder.

MusicBee right now either use a Fixed Paths for Artist Picture Location under Preferences > Tag (1), or AppData.

Many user have this folder structure, "<Album Artist>\<Album>" that seem to be the standard for HTPC user such as XBMC, MediaPortal, etc., In <Album Artist> folder would usually have a "folder.jpg" which is used as the Artist picture.

My wishlist would be that the "artist pictures location" can use a relative path, such as, instead of me setting "Artist Picture Location" as "C:\Artist Image", I could use, "folder.jpg\" which implies it location is at the parent folder.

The concern would this be is, that this could mean more process will be use? Perhaps a cache method of something similar. Currently I have heap of already downloaded artist thumb (XBMC user), each in their Artist folder, with a filename, "folder.jpg", manually renaming these option is time consuming. The other option is just to let MusicBee re-download everything again, which is a waste of bandwidth really. Not to mention losing custom artist image using such method.

On a side note: There is a few thread posting about such topic, but these were question of how to solve this problem. This thread is made as a Wishlist, so hopefully something foreseeable in the future.
Relative artworks location.

Xyzzy

+1, I usually have even more than one band image in artist folder (named band<year-number>.jpg)
Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:49:16 AM by Xyzzy

LDGEB

With MusicBee3 being release probably sometime late this year, hoping this would be put up for consideration.

XBMC is now brand under the name Kodi. Their standard still does not change.
Artist image will still use "folder.jpg" which usually come fanart.tv at 1000x1000 px in size. Their wallpaper size or artworks is under the name "fanart.jpg" which is 1920x1080, a folder can also be create under the name "extrafanart\fanart1.jpg" for more fanart.

See link below for more detail standard. Specifically section 3.3 Music thumbnails
http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork
http://kodi.wiki/view/FanArt#Music_FanArt_in_XBMC

Fanart would be great in bigger monitor and/or theater mode.
Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:14:03 AM by LDGEB
Relative artworks location.

Beesmyer

Relative paths and utilize the artist images I already store for kodi would be great and the only thing holding me up from utilizing MB exclusively. This artwork being the artist image in the album artist folder (folder.jpg) and my fanart being fanart.jpg and the extras in the Extrafanart folder.

MeeMeeMee

+1, but I think it needs a bit more thought regarding the storage structure. I believe that <base-folder>/<artist>/<album> might fall a bit short if interpreted to rigidly, namely, look in the parent folder. When I rip box sets of albums (Police's Message in a Box, The Beatle's Mono and Stereo remasters), Pink Floyd's Discovery, etc') I like to keep things as <artist>/<box-set>/<album>, and, obviously, when there are multiple CDs in a release the music can be nested even deeper <pink floyd>/<discovery box set>/<The Wall>/<CD1>

I'd like to see this feature take a form of a search path, starting from the directory with the music searching up the directory tree till the base directory. For the OCD people, maybe add an option to store the picture(s) in a user-specified sub-folder along the path, for example <pink floid>/<artwork>

This type of approach has the added benefit of setting a default custom picture by dropping one in the base directory, or in case you maintain multiple base directories, like <base-dir>/<Jazz>/<artist>/...., <base-dir>/<Classical>/<Composer>/... etc. you could setup different default pictures per genre.

The source of my "inspiration" is how VIM searches for a tags file: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/options.html#%27tags%27
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

sarah777

+1. This seems a much cleaner solution than the current way musicbee does it currently.