Author Topic: Now Playing to External Files  (Read 114503 times)

boroda

@mrad
It seems that NowPlaying_GetArtistPictureUrls(true, urls[]) returns only 1 (autosaved) artist pictue and manually saved artist pictures, nut not retrieved from internet cached ones. So new version writes not only local artist picture filenames, but also web ones.

mrad

Wow, the new feature does indeed produce a fascinating set of results - most excellent :D

1) So, to clear up any possible confusion... and to document for others...
  • "Primary artist picture:" === Cover picture
  • "Artwork file:" === One locally cached artist backdrop picture file, that is a copy of filename(**).dat
  • "Artist picture filenames file:" ... contains the locally cached artwork backdrop filename(**).dat *PLUS* one->many artwork backdrop urls

... please correct me if I have missed anything.

2) Finally, some housekeeping...

• IF the above understanding is correct, consider adjusting bottom fields labels like the image
  • Most text input fields and the drop down combos tab order now needs updating
  • There are no ctrl-c, ctrl-v key-press events on the text input fields (must use right click menu)
  • Must restart MB after changing the filename of "artwork file" or "primary artist picture" - these settings should commit after pressing "Apply" or commit and save after pressing "Save"
  • Align the right hand side dialog controls (red line in image shows offset)

Thank you :)
Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:39:50 PM by mrad

boroda

• "Primary artist picture:" === Cover picture
If you mean album cover then no.  As far as I understand its just artist picture (photo, backdrop) that was displayed 1st and was autosaved.

• "Artwork file:" === One locally cached artist backdrop picture file, that is a copy of filename(**).dat
No, its album artwork (cover). Manually embedded or linked to local file or downloaded from Internet (maybe cached, not sure)

• "Artist picture filenames file:" ... contains the locally cached artwork backdrop filename(**).dat *PLUS* one->many artwork backdrop urls
Contains 1 cached (actually autosaved) backdrop picture (yes, its .dat), all manually saved artist pictures (right-click on rotating artist picture and choose "save as") and urls of all found backdrops.

• Most text input fields and the drop down combos tab order now needs updating
Will correct it

• There are no ctrl-c, ctrl-v key-press events on the text input fields (must use right click menu)
Strange behavior, don't have time now to fix this ctrl+c/ctrl+v is used by MB (see "Edit" menu) and I cant override it without Steven's help, use ctrl+ins/shift+ins instead.

• Must restart MB after changing the filename of "artwork file" or "primary artist picture" - these settings should commit after pressing "Apply" or commit and save after pressing "Save"
I need to check it, actually changes should be in effect after clicking "OK" in plugin prefs.

Will correct.

P.S. "Album Artwork" and "Artist Picture" are native MB terms and I don't want to change them.
Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:22:30 PM by boroda74

mrad

P.S. "Album Artwork" and "Artist Picture" are native MB terms

Oh yeah, I totally understand the resistant on this idea, and I have no doubt that you have thought about this too.

Allow me to share how I reached my thoughts, just as something to consider (or not)...

As NP uses two output file types, a text file and picture, it makes sense to use these words ... "file" and "picture", but more strict than current use.

For example, the current "Artwork File" is type picture, so I thought, hmm "Artwork Picture". However, I then improved (in my mind) on this ... the word "Artwork" could be used for all pictures, and "Album" could be an incorrect term due to singles and podcasts, so I thought a more meaningful and descriptive word is "Cover" with type "Picture".

The word "Artist", does not always apply, for example soundtracks, factual audiobooks, radio programmes.

So, words that make sense with the above variations, and taking into account all that you clarified as the behaviours of each of these features..
Code
Current Label                      Suggested Label             Filename
"Text file:"                       "Tags file:"                Tags.txt
"Artwork File:"                    "Cover picture:"            CoverArtwork.jpg
"Primary artist picture:"          "Backdrop picture:"         PrimaryBackDrop.jpg
"Artist picture filenames file:"   "Artwork backdrops file:"   ArtworkBackDrops.txt
I think the labels in the middle are simpler than those on the left and describe to the user what the fields are actually used for. The other thought i had was to add "name" after picture but meh! The filenames on the above right column follow some logic too ;)

I do feel MB should also look at picture/album/artist terminologies, but understand higher priority issues exist.
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:20:47 AM by mrad

boroda

Code
Current Label                      Suggested Label             Filename
"Text file:"                       "Tags file:"                Tags.txt
"Artwork File:"                    "Cover picture:"            CoverArtwork.jpg
"Primary artist picture:"          "Backdrop picture:"         PrimaryBackDrop.jpg
"Artist picture filenames file:"   "Artwork backdrops file:"   ArtworkBackDrops.txt
OK, I will change terms this way.

boroda

New plugin version released.
  • Added option to export backdrops file paths to external file.
  • Terms rewording.
  • Minor visual enhancements.

Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:27:09 PM by boroda74

boroda

Its native VisualStudio alignment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

boroda

Must restart MB after changing the filename of "artwork file" or "primary artist picture" - these settings should commit after pressing "Apply" or commit and save after pressing "Save"

For me changes are in effect after clicking "OK" in plugin prefs.

mrad

@boroda74 Thank you reconsidering the terms changes, high five.

I re-tested on Win 7 (x64)...

Known minor quirks that do not affect normal operations...
1) The right side button visual misalignment is a VisualStudio quirk.
2) On some systems, picture field changes apply only after restarting MB, where text is on click 'OK'.
3) MB "Ctrl-c" and "Ctrl-v" behaviours have priority even if the NP plugin dialog has focus.

What a great useable plugin !!!

Finally, for people reading this, inspirational ideas that this plugin can power...

• Screensaver scripts can select from Artwork Backdrops or use display Backdrop Picture
  • Desktop Wallpaper scripts can select from Artwork Backdrops or use display Backdrop Picture
  • Any filetype in the <URL> tag folder can be monitored for and used (e.g. pdf)
  • Artwork Collages can be created using the Artwork Backdrops
  • Cover picture can be added to any of the above
  • Lyrics can be added to any of the above
  • Data saved to the Tags file can be added to any of the above
  • Data saved to the Tags file can be used as search terms (i.e. even more fan art, concerts)
  • Mood lighting systems can be controlled per genre/artist

:D
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:40:27 PM by mrad

boroda

@mrad
If you write some applet, application or addon to third party program (e.g. for Rainmeter) based on NP please share it.
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:54:10 PM by boroda74

mrad

@mrad
If you write some applet, application or addon to third party program (e.g. for Rainmeter) based on NP please share it.

Of course :)

So far, I am testing with a demo RM rotation viewer and a few media widgets as each look different. It is awesomeness having the fanart big and most importantly part of the desktop wallpaper without actually being a wallpaper. MB takes on the role of a server, RM outputs rss feed widgets, a clock and other stuff above the pictures and media controls - skinners focused on pure MB<>RM skins would have a party with this stuff ;)
Note: RM 3 beta is a must tho.

I have noticed an issue, I am playing with Shuffle=On

Seemingly random, I notice the CoverArtwork onscreen is blank. When I look at the file on disk, indeed it is a corrupt jpg of some 40 bytes.
I cannot seem to lock why and when this happens so that I can report more fully to you tho - sigh. I'll monitor.
Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:25:16 AM by mrad

mrad

Issue: ArtworkBackdrops.txt can be output as a zero byte file - this file should not be created if there are no items available.