Author Topic: Activating and deactivating Songs  (Read 9650 times)

Ein

I would like some help implementing redwing's idea.

The problem I've run into is that I don't see how to to copy all Love/Ban flags I've already made INTO my new custom "L/B tag".

1. Using Tools > Tagging Tools > Advanced Search and Replace looks like it might work (with Tag 1 = "Love", Tag 2 = "L/B tag"), but it doesn't.  Nothing happens after doing running this search and replace, the files are completely unmodified.  I imagine this is because custom tags are basically strings to the program, but the internal Love tag is some binary data inside the musicbee database, so the program won't take any action.

2. The other option is to use the "sort by this column" feature.  Since this groups together files with the same love/ban status, it is reasonable to highlight all of them and write the "L" or "B" to the tag manually.  The problem though is getting all your files to display in one place.

For single playlists, this is fine.  But for a folder of playlists this doesn't work.  On the left hand side of MusicBee I have two playlist folders, each containing numerous playlists.  If I select one such folder, then the right hand side of MusicBee will display all files inside all the contained playlists EXCEPT those files that are "banned".  This last point is unique to playlist folders, it doesn't happen with single playlists.

Any ideas?  I don't want to go through my playlists one by one.  Also, I can't simply select the "Library > Music" folder on the left hand side of MusicBee, because this is mostly empty (my playlists contain songs that aren't inside the MusicBee Library folder).
Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:26:06 PM by Ein

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Also, I can't simply select the "Library > Music" folder on the left hand side of MusicBee, because this is mostly empty (my playlists contain songs that aren't inside the MusicBee Library folder).

You can use a search for "Any Field ... has a value" to display your whole library at once (including Inbox), but if the files aren't in your library it won't help.  Why not just add them?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Ein

Ok, I realized there is a very low tech way of doing this.  You can simply create a new temporary playlist and add all your files into that playlist.  It took longer than I expected for MusicBee to cope with that operation, but it worked.  If you aren't working with a single top level directory though this might end up being as much work as going through each playlist one by one.

but if the files aren't in your library it won't help.  Why not just add them?

There are files and folders I want to keep out of the Library folder, so I don't add these files to my Library.  Once a file is in a playlist it normally makes very little difference to me whether the file is in the Library or not.