Hi Redwing, thanks for explaining this further. Finally now I found out what went wrong in our communication. Did you hear my brain cracking
I'll try to explain.
I had many problems with Windows Media Player as it couldn't handle my putting the same song in different playlists. It kept on changing my data back to what it thought appropriate. It drove me crazy. I tried everything in and out the book to get it work according to my wishes, went on forums, asked Microsoft Support etc. but finally gave up. I had to make playlists in WMP to be able to synchronize them through WMP to my MP3 player. As I am an audiophile this is very important to me. So I decided to change to MusicBee for making my playlists and at the same time to quit using playlists in my MP3 player to avoid WMP altogether but just make playlists into "fake" cds. So I started out in MB using the folders with the playlists in Windows Explorer. You assumed I was working in the playlist section in MB where indeed you can drag the songs up and down. And the track nos. change automatically! As I found out this afternoon. I hope you're still with me.
So now I managed to get one playlist sorted. Let me tell you how I'm working now to get this done. I copied a playlist in a folder in Explorer into a playlist in MB. There I changed whatever I wanted to change. E.g. I have to change Album and Artist Name into one and the same. Otherwise my MP3 player puts every song in a different folder which makes for an enormous list to browse through. But that's not a problem, I change them both into e.g. Slow 2000 A, and under Title I put the name of the artist and the song. Then I rearrange the order by dragging (yes!) and the track nos. sort themselves. So far so good.
But then I'm getting into trouble again. In the Explorer window the songs have to be changed too as they are copies of the original albums elsewhere in my music folders and the MP3 player picks those data to show in its display. E.g. the copied song is: "02 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam". This has to be changed into "01 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam - Transatlantic RPM". (Notice the change in track no.) But after I change this, MB doesn't recognize the song anymore. I solved this by closing down MB and starting it up again, so it can open the folder with the changed names. This worked apart from some track nos. that didn't get through and which I edited in MB via the edit window.
Wow, if you're still reading this, I take off my hat to you! I guess this is a work in progress and I'll probably find out better ways as I continue. So far I'm REALLY happy that I managed the basics with MB and I can sheer away from WMP and enjoy my playlists on my MP3 player!
Love to hear any comments or suggestions from you guys because I have to change all my playlists into fake cds now. For me it would be very handy if I could just drag songs around not only in the playlist section but in the folders too.
Bye for now!
Everything you're good at is easy.