Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 03:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
60134 Posts in 8968 Topics by 7026 Members
Latest Member: Plumber1969
* Home Help Search Login Register
Search:    
+  getmusicbee.com
|-+  General
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Creating playlists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Creating playlists  (Read 2865 times)
Fréderique

« on: February 03, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Hello y'all,

after much frustration with Windows Media Player, it messing around with my playlists so much, I now turned to MusicBee. That makes me a newbie to MusicBee  Grin. So forgive me if I haven't found the appropriate place to look for answers yet.

First of all, I couldn't find a beginners guide, is there one? That would save me a lot of time trying to figure things out myself.

Then, my first two important questions regarding creating playlists:

In WMP I used to add songs to a playlist until I had 30 songs to play on my MP3 player. When I added a new song I would change the order around by just dragging songs up and down. Having found the right new order I would change the track numbers by clicking on no. 1, changing it, dropping one down with the arrow button etc. So far I have not been able to perform these two functions (dragging songs and changing track nos.) with MB. To change the position and the number of each track by opening the window for editing is a LOT of work and very impractical. I tried out several things to get MB to change nos. automatically or all at the same time, but didn't succeed.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say; I'm not a native speaker of English.
So can anybody help me out with these basic things to start out with? Thanks!

Everything you're good at is easy.
scampbll

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

I believe that in order to be able to drag and drop items in a playlist, you need to right click in the column headers, go down to Sort By> and then choose Playlist Order.  If you do it that way, they should "stick" in order automatically.

If you resort your list some other way and want to save it, right click in the main panel, go to List> and choose Update Play Order.

MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!
Fréderique

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »

Hi Scampbll, thanks for responding.

I don't understand. There's no Playlist Order under Sort by.
And maybe you misunderstood. I meant dragging songs to a different position within the playlist, not dragging and dropping them from another location.
Cannot find the List in the main panel either.  Embarrassed

Steven
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

to renumber tracks:
Tools/ Tagging Tools/ Renumber Tracks

MB allows tracks to be re-ordered in a playlist by using drag/drop - unless you are using Artwork layout or have the playlist sorted ie. not in the playlists natural order. You can also re-order tracks inside the Renumber Tracks tool
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:40:26 PM by Steven » Logged
Fréderique

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »

Okay, I managed to find out that I could add Playlist under Sort By. So I was able to choose that option. But that didn't change anything...

Listen guys, this is what I notice with a lot of programs. Sooooo many complicated things are possible and that's all really cool with people who need a lot of fancy things. But the things I look for are basic and simple. If I click twice on e.g. the artist name, I can change the name. Wonderful. Perfect. Why oh why cannot I do the same with the track numbers? Why cannot I drag track no. 4 to no. 10? Is simplicity out of style?

Fréderique

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »

Thank you, Steven.
I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What is the playlist's natural order? And where do I find the Renumber Tracks tool?

redwing

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »

As Steven said, MB allows the user to change the order of tracks in a playlist (but not for auto-playlists) by drag-and-drop. But it won't work if you happened to sort the list by another field instead of the natural order (in most cases re-sorting by # would work). To restore the natural order, right-click the playlist> List> Restore Natural Order, then you will be able to move tracks again.

I guess you might have referred to # (playlist order) as track #, which are different from each other. Renumber Tracks (Tools> Tagging Tools>) pane is used for altering track number of a track in an album.
Fréderique

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:38 PM »

Hi Redwing, thanks for explaining this further. Finally now I found out what went wrong in our communication. Did you hear my brain cracking  Smiley I'll try to explain.

I had many problems with Windows Media Player as it couldn't handle my putting the same song in different playlists. It kept on changing my data back to what it thought appropriate. It drove me crazy. I tried everything in and out the book to get it work according to my wishes, went on forums, asked Microsoft Support etc. but finally gave up. I had to make playlists in WMP to be able to synchronize them through WMP to my MP3 player. As I am an audiophile this is very important to me. So I decided to change to MusicBee for making my playlists and at the same time to quit using playlists in my MP3 player to avoid WMP altogether but just make playlists into "fake" cds. So I started out in MB using the folders with the playlists in Windows Explorer. You assumed I was working in the playlist section in MB where indeed you can drag the songs up and down. And the track nos. change automatically! As I found out this afternoon. I hope you're still with me.

So now I managed to get one playlist sorted. Let me tell you how I'm working now to get this done. I copied a playlist in a folder in Explorer into a playlist in MB. There I changed whatever I wanted to change. E.g. I have to change Album and Artist Name into one and the same. Otherwise my MP3 player puts every song in a different folder which makes for an enormous list to browse through. But that's not a problem, I change them both into e.g. Slow 2000 A, and under Title I put the name of the artist and the song. Then I rearrange the order by dragging (yes!) and the track nos. sort themselves. So far so good.

But then I'm getting into trouble again. In the Explorer window the songs have to be changed too as they are copies of the original albums elsewhere in my music folders and the MP3 player picks those data to show in its display. E.g. the copied song is: "02 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam". This has to be changed into "01 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam - Transatlantic RPM". (Notice the change in track no.) But after I change this, MB doesn't recognize the song anymore. I solved this by closing down MB and starting it up again, so it can open the folder with the changed names. This worked apart from some track nos. that didn't get through and which I edited in MB via the edit window.

Wow, if you're still reading this, I take off my hat to you! I guess this is a work in progress and I'll probably find out better ways as I continue. So far I'm REALLY happy that I managed the basics with MB and I can sheer away from WMP and enjoy my playlists on my MP3 player!

Love to hear any comments or suggestions from you guys because I have to change all my playlists into fake cds now. For me it would be very handy if I could just drag songs around not only in the playlist section but in the folders too.

Bye for now!

redwing

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »

E.g. the copied song is: "02 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam". This has to be changed into "01 Everything That We Are feat. Luckyiam - Transatlantic RPM". (Notice the change in track no.)

Why? I assume "02" was the track number (track #) of the track in its original album, which has nothing to do with its playlist order (#). If you open an m3u file with Windows Explorer, you won't see playlist order(#). It's just how those tracks are listed. What happens if you don't edit the number? Does that affect the changed order?
Fréderique

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »

Redwing, can you bear with me for a while? I have to try this out and no time on my hands right now. I remember some time ago in an effort to solve my problems with WMP that I copied (not synchronized) a playlist without track nos. in Explorer to my MP3 player and it played it alphabetically. That's why I was putting track nos. to it in Explorer. I did a quick check with one playlist after your reply last week and it played it alphabetically too, even though on the MP3 player under track info the track nos. show correctly in my order. But I have to really concentrate on this and I will come back to you asap.  :-)

Zak
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:00:01 PM »

Sounds like you've got the drag 'n drop sorting worked out and that the playlist is saving tracks in the correct order.
(editing the playlist in a text editor like Notepad++ might be even quicker if you're sorting lots of tracks at a time)

What MP3 player are you using? It sounds like it's having the problem working out what order to play things in.

Bee excellent to each other...
Fréderique

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

Just a quick update. Still no time for some real digging into this...

Thank you, Zak, for participating. It means a lot to me when people take the trouble to help solve a problem. Really!

I took a quick glance at Notepad, but I must say that I immediately felt off-colour when looking at another new program and more efforts to finding out how everything works. I have had so much trouble with this issue and other pc problems that I'm practically worn-out. Hope you understand. Have not thrown the pc out the window yet though. Haha.

My MP3 player is Sandisk Sansa Clip. I have several versions. Excellent sound quality. With the right ear phones, that is.

I did another test with what Redwing suggested. I made a new playlist in a normal folder but this time I didn't put track nos. in Explorer. Copied it to my MP3 and this time it played it according to my order. So it does seem to work without track nos. in Explorer. Am going to check this out some more, because it didn't work like this before.

So now I copy a music folder to Playlist in MB and change and rearrange. Wonderful. But I don't know how to get the finished playlist back into its original folder. I don't even remember how in a roundabout way I managed to do this the last time. There must be a shortcut. Can somebody tell me that? How do I get the edited playlist back in its original music folder? Or, as I suggested earlier, if you guys add the rearrange-order-by-dragging mode to the normal folders, that would be the easiest way out. Should I put that as a suggestion in the Wishlist or did I get your attention already? :-)

Hope to join again soon! XXX
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:19:11 PM by Fréderique » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: