Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 01:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
62161 Posts in 9357 Topics by 7421 Members
Latest Member: Siawer
* Home Help Search Login Register
Search:    
+  getmusicbee.com
|-+  General
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Encode / Rip to WMA Lossless?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Encode / Rip to WMA Lossless?  (Read 1370 times)
jaxtherogue

« on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »

Is it possible to encode or rip to WMA lossless?

I found MusicBee as I am looking for a tool to sync to Windows Phone 8. This is an amazingly feature rich application.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:27:33 PM by jaxtherogue » Logged
Zak
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »

All of the encoding options are under Preferences > File Converters.

There's some excessively high bitrates available for WMA encoding, but it seems lossless is not an option.

Bee excellent to each other...
jaxtherogue

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »

Yes I saw those and even tried ripping at 100% quality thinking perhaps that actually means lossless, but it doesn't.
Bee-liever

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »

Is it possible to encode or rip to WMA lossless?

Unfortunately, WMA lossless is a closed source Microsoft proprietary format. AFAIK ffmpeg is the only codec that has reverse engineered a decode for these files, but nobody has an encoder solution.

So the short answer is, WMA lossless can only be encoded by Windows.

FLAC is lossless, open source, more widely supported on devices and can be encoded by MB

Version: 2.5.5437
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together
Zak
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »

If you're a) desperate for WMA lossless, and b) sufficiently geeky, you can download Windows Media Encoder which looks like it allows for command line batch encoding. It appears to only accept files as input, so you'd still have to rip/encode to a WAV file first, but you could write a batch file/script to automate the process somewhat.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17792

Probably not worth it really, but it's all I could find.

Bee excellent to each other...
Steven
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »

according to the bass documentation encoding to variable bitrate 100% quality will encode to lossless, and trying now it works fine for me (checked the output file using foobar)
jaxtherogue

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I did retest and found that it does indeed write to lossless when quality is set to 100%. I must have messed up my first test.

Is there a way to get MusicBee to recognize lossless WMA files as lossless so I can make use of the "only covert files with a lossless format" option for on-the-fly conversion when syncing to a device? Alternatively is it possible to have it bypass converting ANY format under a certain bitrate (rather than just the selected Convert To format)?

Thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: