Author Topic: Compact Theater Mode III: A Musical Newspaper [UPDATED]  (Read 20401 times)

Greb

Instructions:

[1] Download and install the sizer app

It allows you to size any window to an exact size. This is NOT strictly necessary, you can resize the window manually, but getting a exact size is slightly annoying. So up to you.

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

[2] Download the zip file and extract in the TheaterMode.List folder.

http://filebeam.com/2b86ba74e96be6af84fa315c56a15266

The theater mode is calle 'Compact Player Desktop 1440x800'

[3] This time there's no fonts to install!!!   ;D

The theater mode uses the Georgia font, that is quite usual. In case you haven't it, you can use the 'TNR' version that uses the Times New Roman font.

[4] When using the Theater Mode..

... you should resize the window exactly to 1440x800. Use the Sizer app for it.

Updated with alternative version with progress bar and album year.

Credit for the Background: http://tatenokai.deviantart.com/art/Newspaper-Desktop-198008273

Images

Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:19:25 AM by Greb

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Love it!
So quirky!  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

Looks amazing! But the maximum resolution of my laptop (1280 x 800) shows some elements out of line (Sizer can't help it). Do you have a plan to support lower resolutions? Thanks for sharing this wonderful work, anyway!

Greb

Looks amazing! But the maximum resolution of my laptop (1280 x 800) shows some elements out of line (Sizer can't help it). Do you have a plan to support lower resolutions? Thanks for sharing this wonderful work, anyway!

Didn't intend to support different resolutions. But anyway, it's not difficult to do. Just follow those steps:

1. Select a coefficient that defines de new resolution. For example, 0.75. Then the new resolution would be 1080x600 (1440x0.75=1080). It works in case you want a bigger resolution than the original one too.
2. Open the background image in some picture software and resize it using the selected percentage (in the former case, 75%).
3. Then open the theatermode xml file with Notepad. There you should multiply for this coefficient:
   - x and y
   - width
   - height
   - font size
For example, if x="400" then you should write x="300" (400x0.75=300).

That's all.  ;D

redwing

Hmm.. I just tried what you suggested with 88%, but it's worse. Many elements look overlapped. It's trickier than I expected. Looks like I have to understand what each element refers to. Don't worry. It's fun!

Greb

Hmm.. I just tried what you suggested with 88%, but it's worse. Many elements look overlapped. It's trickier than I expected. Looks like I have to understand what each element refers to. Don't worry. It's fun!

Can you upload it? I'll give a quick check to see what's wrong.

lnminente

Very nice and original, and thanks for removing the cigarette :D

Greb

Very nice and original, and thanks for removing the cigarette :D

I didn't!!! I supposed the original designer removed it but kept the former preview... I even hadn't notice it!!!  ;D

Here you are. It's 1268 x 704.

I see the problem. You're using it full screen. This theater mode is supposed to work in windowed mode, and you have to resize window, with your changed mode, at 1268 x 704 (if you're using W7 it shows the new size besides the cursor the moment you resize it).

redwing

Bingo! You are so good!

Thanks a lot!
One more question. I am using multiple artists in Artist field and the first artist in Album Artist field. So I replaced artist field in your xml file with album artist, and it works fine. The only one I cannot replace is "ArtistInfo" element. It just reads multiple artists with semicolon as artist. Any ideas?

Edit: and "ArtistPicture" too.
Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:23:20 PM by redwing

paq

Fantastic idea!

Maybe it would cool if you turned one of those black horizontal lines into the progress bar? Like the one just above "Page 1" :) Another idea would be to have "Page 1" display the track number.

Greb

Bingo! You are so good!

Thanks a lot!
One more question. I am using multiple artists in Artist field and the first artist in Album Artist field. So I replaced artist field in your xml file with album artist, and it works fine. The only one I cannot replace is "ArtistInfo" element. It just reads multiple artists with semicolon as artist. Any ideas?

Edit: and "ArtistPicture" too.

Good question. It's hardcoded, son I can do nothing. But I'm raise it in the music wishlist forum. I'm doing a 'classical edition' version and it would be much better if composer and performer could appear both of them. Though I don't know very well how to use space...

Greb

Fantastic idea!

Maybe it would cool if you turned one of those black horizontal lines into the progress bar? Like the one just above "Page 1" :) Another idea would be to have "Page 1" display the track number.

Don't think so... for me, it would break the 'newspaper' feeling. But feel free to make your own version (and even post it)  ;D