Author Topic: Last.fm Playlist Generator  (Read 71249 times)

beeing good

I suspect the plugin is not doing anything wrong, I've just looked in Lastfm and the few that I checked seem to make sense according to the playlist created but I noticed that the playcount in Musicbee isn't matching the lastfm ones, even though I sync it. The tags appear to be the same.

lnminente

Hi, Steven i have configured MB to connect using a proxy in Preferences\Internet\Proxy settings\Server, but i see this plugin is not using it. Actually is not a problem for my case, but it could not work well for other people.

The plugin is very useful! I will relisten some songs i rated poorly in comparison with the top artist tracks :)

Guegs

Thanks for the plugin Steven, but is there a way to get more than 10 tracks for the artists top tracks?

Steven

• Administrator
Hi, Steven i have configured MB to connect using a proxy in Preferences\Internet\Proxy settings\Server, but i see this plugin is not using it. Actually is not a problem for my case, but it could not work well for other people.
yes you are right and i would need to add in support for that

I suspect the plugin is not doing anything wrong, I've just looked in Lastfm and the few that I checked seem to make sense according to the playlist created but I noticed that the playcount in Musicbee isn't matching the lastfm ones, even though I sync it. The tags appear to be the same.
the plugin (or more specifically the available last.fm query) is based on the artist and title total playcount.
The playcount sync is based on album, artist and title, so you would need sum all the album variations and compare the ranking of that number.
However i now realise the created playlist will take on the current default sort order for playlists, so i will change it to be forced to display and Track Detail view and unsorted.

Thanks for the plugin Steven, but is there a way to get more than 10 tracks for the artists top tracks?
it is matching 30 tracks per artist from the top 100 tracks for the artist according to last.fm. If you see less then it is not able to match to your library or your library tracks are not in the top 100 for the artist
Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:06:15 AM by Steven

Greb

It could be interesting to match not only specific artist top tracks, but specific last.fm genre top tracks.

For example: I have every celtic song in my library under the tag 'Celtic'. But artists in last.fm have more specific and detailed tracks. Let's say that 'Silly Wizard' is a very traditional group in Scottish Celtic music. Now I can make a playlist with 'Top track similar to Silly Wizard'. Why not to make a playlist with 'Top tracks in songs tagged as 'Scottish folk' in last.fm'?

Steven

• Administrator
http://www.mediafire.com/?bxryf59d91bvqxz
and
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

It could be interesting to match not only specific artist top tracks, but specific last.fm genre top tracks.

For example: I have every celtic song in my library under the tag 'Celtic'. But artists in last.fm have more specific and detailed tracks. Let's say that 'Silly Wizard' is a very traditional group in Scottish Celtic music. Now I can make a playlist with 'Top track similar to Silly Wizard'. Why not to make a playlist with 'Top tracks in songs tagged as 'Scottish folk' in last.fm'?
thats already supported but i have moved it to the top level of the last.fm context menu so its more obvious. Additionally i have allowed entry of 5 custom genres (the others are the most used ones in your library)

it is matching 30 tracks per artist from the top 100 tracks for the artist according to last.fm. If you see less then it is not able to match to your library or your library tracks are not in the top 100 for the artist
i was wrong about that and infact was limiting it to 10 - its now 30 and matches from the top 250 artist tracks
Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:59:28 AM by Steven

Greb

Nice! (though it crashed MB a couple of times until I could make it work)

One issue... it's very easy to have like a lot of 'Top track...' playlists in the left bar quite quickly. Would be interesting to be able to configurate the plugin so it sends every new playlist, for example, to a 'LastFM' folder. That way the left bar would be more organized.

gladtobeblazed

This is a really cool plugin, but I noticed that it's putting alternative or live tracks, with few playcounts, ahead of the studio album tracks.

For example, my overall most played song is "Boyfriend", off the album "Crazy For You", but the playlist gives me "Boyfriend" from the "iTunes Session" album instead. The artist and track name are correct, just not the album.

Steven

• Administrator
only the "Library Top Tracks" query in last.fm returns album information. Other queries such as artist specific ones are based on overall last.fm counts for the artist and track only. What MB does is choose the highest quality file if that artist and track are on multiple albums. Highest quality being a lossless format, then m4a, then lossy such as mp3 at the bottom. I guess one change that could be made is if multiple albums match and they are all lossy formats then choose the album with the highest playcount according to MusicBee but then that would be confusing because it wouldnt be consistent if you were expecting it to choose the highest album playcount
Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:09:36 PM by Steven

lnminente

BUG: Latest version can't connect to internet, it says "Error - The proxy name could not be resolved: 'h'"
I use localhost, have tried 127.0.0.1 but neither works. TIA

Steven

• Administrator

Greb

you probably need the latest for the crashing
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Thanks, it worked perfect (though I just saw there's already a new one with the folders!  ;D)

lnminente

SOLVED: The plugin is sucesfully connecting to internet across my local proxy. Thanks :)

intripletime

Interesting, Musicbee crashes after I have copied this plugin to the 'Plugins' folder. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and the latest beta version of Musicbee.