Author Topic: Syncronize Android by Wifi  (Read 28457 times)

mattyfog

Hi!
Is there a way to syncronize an android smartphone using wifi?

thegammaray

Sorry for the late reply.

I sync my Galaxy SII wirelessly, but my method requires a rooted phone. There may be others that don't, but this is likely simpler.

I installed an app on the phone for SMB filesharing (I use "Samba Filesharing"). This will allow you to treat the phone's storage as a network device over wifi. Once the phone is usable as a network device in Windows, open Musicbee, right-click the network drive*, select the Manage Folders submenu, and select "Set X: as a Virtual Device". Note that "A" cannot be the drive letter for the virtual device. Any time you start Musicbee with the network device recognized by Windows, Musicbee will treat the phone as a removeable device.

Now right-click on the virtual device and go into Device Settings to configure music & playlist folders. If you don't care where the files go on your phone, I suppose you can skip this part.

Here's the thread where I gathered my info initially:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=4333.0

*If there are no drives listed in the pane on the left-hand side, go into Edit-->Preferences-->Layout and make sure "computer" is selected under left navigator panel. That took me forever to figure out..... Once the drive is set as a virtual device, "computer" can be deselected.

LinkPlay9

Sorry for digging out this age-old thread but i cannot seem to add my Network Device as a Virtual Device.

I have:
-Downloaded and setup Samba on my Phone
-Made sure that my phone is a usable network device in Windows
-opened musicbee and added "\\ANDROID\share2\Audio\" as a Network Share

When I right click on my "\\ANDROID\share2\Audio\" Network Device and select "Set \\ as Virtual Device" nothing happens.

ikonomov

1. Install Samba Filesharing for Android.
2. Set up Samba and set settings for external SD Card if needed.
3. Open My Computer on PC, find the device in Network, right click on the network folder inside the device that you want to assign as network drive and select "Map Network Drive...", select a drive letter.
4. Open Musicbee, right-click the network drive, select "Manage Folders" and then "Set X: as a Virtual Device".
5. Right-click on the virtual device and go into "Device Settings" to configure.

While transferring files it is best to prevent the phone from going to sleep and keep it plugged-in for optimal Wi-Fi transfer speed.  The speed will be much slower than over USB, about 0.7-2 MB/s, mostly depending on the phone.

* This works flawlessly except the phone must be rooted to use Samba, so additional work might be required.  Search google to find the xda-developers forum for your phone.

Also:
*If there are no drives listed in the pane on the left-hand side, go into Edit-->Preferences-->Layout and make sure "computer" is selected under left navigator panel. That took me forever to figure out..... Once the drive is set as a virtual device, "computer" can be deselected.
Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:01:44 PM by ikonomov

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This is working great for me (rooted Motorola Atrix 2).   The only problem I had in getting it working was figuring out how to log in to the phone from Windows.  It turns out I needed to put WORKGROUP/Username rather than just Username.

I'll add this to the wiki.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For those without root, there is a workaround discussed here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14406.0
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)