Author Topic: Bookmarking within tracks  (Read 14968 times)

Anti

In my 'A-B Repeat' thread (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3687.0)
'bookmarking' was mentioned so I thought I'd create a new thread for this feature request.

During playback, it would be nice to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to add a 'bookmark' to the track.
Optionally you could be asked to name the bookmark and add a note/description.

Later, you'd go to a 'bookmark list view' to see all your bookmarks.
Clicking one would take you to that particular spot within the track (the point at which the bookmark was created).

This would be useful for finding particular parts of an audio file in podcasts, audiobooks and language courses.

Any thoughts?

ma_t14

Having a feature to play audiobooks but not being able to bookmark makes no sense. These two should go together.  8)

I really like the approach Kmplayer takes regarding bookmarking. Whenever you make a bookmark a spot appears on the seek-bar defining its position. Then if you mouse over these spot there's a description that you have previously used to describe the bookmark. The last feature actually is not there but it would be a nice idea, don't you think?

Here have a look:

Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:45:06 PM by ma_t14

VX

During playback, it would be nice to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to add a 'bookmark' to the track.
Optionally you could be asked to name the bookmark and add a note/description.

Later, you'd go to a 'bookmark list view' to see all your bookmarks.
Clicking one would take you to that particular spot within the track (the point at which the bookmark was created).

This would be useful for finding particular parts of an audio file in podcasts, audiobooks and language courses.

Having a feature to play audiobooks but not being able to bookmark makes no sense. These two should go together.  8)

+1 Sounds quite reasonable.

bigelow13

+1 for this. It really makes sense, and it's pretty nice when you really love the solo at 5:32 in X song...

ma_t14

I'm bumping this thread because I find the audiobook support really lacking without this feature  :P

Steven

• Administrator
i've added bookmarking support:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fdor4w2tvfy4p0s

you can display a Bookmarks node set in the Layout preferences (default is off because i think most people wouldnt use this feature)
a start/stop bookmark hotkey is available - starts/stops bookmarking the current playing track
or you can also right click start/stop bookmarking in the Bookmarks main panel
you can edit a comment by clicking on the comment field in the Bookmarks main panel
the bookmark can be removed using the delete key or right click/ Remove
Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:24:05 AM by Steven

VX

Thank you very much for implementing this.  :) I really missed that feature.

However, it would be much more intuitive when bookmarks for the now playing track could be created from the player control panel directly.
It's just one extra bookmark button, which could be hidden optionally just like buttons for equaliser, shuffle, repeat and Last.fm.

After clicking the button user could give optional comment for the bookmark start. Clicking it once again would stop bookmarking.

I would add another option for Repeat menu: 'Repeat bookmarked parts of the track'. What do you think ???

What is the shortcut key to add a bookmark ??? Is it predefined  ??? I suggest to use CTR+D, which is standard for internet browsers, including Internet Explorer  (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Internet-Explorer-keyboard-shortcuts), Opera, Safari, Firefox (http://www.7is7.com/software/firefox/shortcuts.html) and others.

Steven

• Administrator
you can create a command button (from the hotkeys preferences screen when you assign "Now Playing: Start/ Stop Bookmark")
however i will change the command button so you can assign different text depending whether the bookmark is stopped or not

for repeating, just set it to Repeat One on the player control panel and it will loop the bookmark

ma_t14

Thanks Steven for the implementation  :)

There seems to be a bug. When you play a bookmark from within the bookmarks node and then play the track from within the music library it plays the bookmarked section of the track.

I would expect to play bookmarks ONLY from within the bookmarks node, I don't want bookmarks to be messing with the lengths of the tracks within my music library

Steven

• Administrator
i dont find that behavior. If you edit the track in the library and go to the Settings tab is the start and end time ticked?

Steven

• Administrator
just untick those settings then
can you give me an exact set up steps

ma_t14

can you give me an exact set up steps

I set the bookmark hotkey to Ctrl + Shift + D. go to music library start playin a track, use bookmark start and then end, go to bookmarks node play the bookmark from that track, now go to music library play track from where bookmark was taken, track plays bookmarked section NOT full length of the track.

just untick those settings then

I know and did already but it would be quite annoying to do this every time you bookmarked the track

Steven

• Administrator
well i am baffled the because i dont get this behavior following those steps and looking at the code i cant see how its possible

could you do your steps up to where you end the bookmark, then before playing it from the main library, open the main library file from the tag editor and see if those 2 settings are ticked (you might find the track is read-only until you restart)

ma_t14

even if I restart musicbee and play the track from music liibrary I get the bookmarked section unless I untick start/end time in edit  :-\