Author Topic: Greek Translation  (Read 32557 times)

Steven

• Administrator
This is for the Greek Translation of MusicBee which has been started now. If you would like to help translate or test then contact ma_t14.
Please feel free to converse in greek on this topic

ma_t14

Translation has got to a standstill. Due to university obligations I have little time to no time for this. I would be happy to hand my work to anyone  willing to continue with the translation
Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:05:50 PM by ma_t14

Olympios

Yes, I would like to continue the translation. Are you still around?

ma_t14

Yes... But unfortunately all my work was lost after a computer format, sorry... You will need to start from scratch  :-\

Edit

I managed to find something, its really old so I'm not sure of how much use will it be to you. Here's a link to it for what its worth:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2hf2lz20hfp0f2
Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:50:56 AM by ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator

Olympios

In the past few hours I have already done about half of the file. Of course needs lots of correcting, "adjusting", and the file you just gave me will do most of that. Thanks.
I will post it here when done.

Olympios

Greek translation is done (good, old Google translate).  Of course when I inserted the translated file into MusicBee and run it, I discovered there were syntax errors all over. Also, in some parts,  the length of the translated text was longer than the English version and it would over lap existing text or push it off the border of the panel. Anyway, both of these issues were corrected by re-wording the sentences but preserving the meaning. However, there are a few error messages that haven't been checked because I wasn't able to replicate the errors. An average user may never come across any of those messages, but even if he does they are just an aesthetic issue and they don't interfere with the normal operation of the application. Anyway, I went through most of the functions of MusicBee, checking for discrepancies and I think the translation now is good enough to be published.
I would like to thank Steven for giving us this excellent and extremely high quality program. Also many thanks to ma_t14 for giving me the partially translated first file. It saved many hours of work.
Here is the link to the translated file: http://rapidshare.com/files/2773734481/Greek.lng
Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:30:21 AM by Olympios

boroda

Also, in some parts,  the length of the translated text was longer than the English version and it would over lap existing text or push it off the border of the panel.
You can adjust the width of dialogs and controls by adding extra 'x' (for example) characters at the end of string '#Main.msg.abefopv#' (at the beginning of your file). Also you may want to read this topic
Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:12:57 AM by boroda74

jistme

Also you may want to read this topic

Interesting.
I never really understood how that worked exactly, so I just posted in that topic with a question...

Olympios

Thanks gentlemen. I downloaded that excel file, read the instructions but I wasn't able to make heads or tales from it. However, I replaced the characters in that string at the beginning of the .lng file with Greek characters and I also added in random a few extra Greek a, i, e, and o. What a difference!!! Now there is lots of room in the panels which means I will go back and redo the whole thing all over again. I would like to have the correct string though, if someone can help me create one.
Thanks.
Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:46:55 AM by Olympios

boroda

@Olimpios
I prepared for you this unicode text file with 5 #Main.msg.abefopv# strings with different scaling factors: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. Every string from this file makes you translation independent from fonts used by MB (Windows and MB allow users to change some fonts). 'Scaling factor' defines how longer is the text in your language than the same text in English. The more scaling factor is, the wider controls in MB are. Just copy (replace string #Main.msg.abefopv# in your language file) 1 of 5 string from provided file to the beginning of your language file. You may want to play around with different scaling factors.

Feel free to ask me for file with fine-tuned scaling factor (eg 1.15 or 1.25).

Olympios

Thanks for your time my friend. Unfortunately this how they look on my screen: #Main.msg.abefopv# αααααααααααααβγγδδεεεεεεεεεηηηηηθιιιιιιιÎ
I am going through the translated document again and changing back the parts I had to modify in order to make it fit. I've already done half of it so far.  It should be done in the next couple days.
I googled "frequency of letter usage in..." and I found one set for the Greek lang. I used your Excel setup and I was able to produce a string, scale factor 1.6. If I click on the cell that shows the scale factor and change it to 1.0 and then create another string, is it going to be of scale factor 1.0 now?

boroda

If I click on the cell that shows the scale factor and change it to 1.0 and then create another string, is it going to be of scale factor 1.0 now?
Yes, you can change scaling factor in that cell. Every scaling factor produces new service string. Try different scaling factors to see what better suits your language.

Olympios

Yes, it did make a big difference! The translated text now fits nicely, although some of the panes may look a little... empty now as they are a little bigger. I think everything is OK now. I went through all of the functions and corrected typos and syntax errors. The file is ready to go.
Link in a previous post up above is updated. Here it is again: http://rapidshare.com/files/2773734481/Greek.lng
Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:30:46 AM by Olympios

Steven

• Administrator