Author Topic: Subsonic Client  (Read 146301 times)

minotza

phred how did you add the Subsonic share to your library?
I'm not certain I understand the question.  You already stated you have the plugin and it's enabled, correct?  And I thought you said it works when you changed the plugin config to the external IP, right?  There should be nothing more needed other than your SS username and password:

SS from within MB is working for me as long as I don't want to listen to any playlists despite the fact that the playlists do appear under the SS node.

Sorry..I'm asking you how you got your subsonic share to appear under your Musicbee library because mine is only in the computer node. Could you possibly send me a screenshot of your subsonic setup, including the settings in the server control panel, and the media folder settings on the web app? I want to see if I'm missing anything obvious..thank you so much if you can help out.

Also, I'm having the same problem as Shred, I just wanted to show you exactly what it was Midwan. The only time that error message shows up is when I click on the Subsonic icon. I get no message when I click on Music, but if I expand Music I can see individual artist folders and the music within each, only if I click on each artist folder individually.

Sorry if I'm over explaining, I just want you to know what's going on so you can debug it properly. Can't wait to get this thing working! 

Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:41:11 AM by minotza

phred

• Global Moderator
Sorry..I'm asking you how you got your subsonic share to appear under your Musicbee library because mine is only in the computer node. Could you possibly send me a screenshot of your subsonic setup, including the settings in the server control panel, and the media folder settings on the web app? I want to see if I'm missing anything obvious..thank you so much if you can help out.
SubSonic does not and will not appear as part of the MB Library.  It will only appear in the computer node.  I have done nothing on the SubSonic side to enable MB to access it.  It's all from the MB plugin.   I'll be happy to send you some screenshots of my SubSonic setup, but they won't help with this.  If SS is working as expected via a web browser and not in MB, then the problem is with MB.  Or the plugin. 

I guess I'm still a little confused as to what problem you're experiencing.  Here you stated that it worked perfectly.  But then you say you can't get the library to show up.  So what is working perfectly?
Using the external IP of the SubSonic server worked perfectly, thank you! What if it is a dynamic IP address though, how will that work?

Now I just need to figure out how to get my library to show up when I click the Subsonic icon, and how to add my Subsonic share to the Musicbee library so I can start using this effectively.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

minotza

SubSonic does not and will not appear as part of the MB Library.  It will only appear in the computer node.  I have done nothing on the SubSonic side to enable MB to access it.  It's all from the MB plugin.   I'll be happy to send you some screenshots of my SubSonic setup, but they won't help with this.  If SS is working as expected via a web browser and not in MB, then the problem is with MB.  Or the plugin. 

I guess I'm still a little confused as to what problem you're experiencing.  Here you stated that it worked perfectly.  But then you say you can't get the library to show up.  So what is working perfectly?
Using the external IP of the SubSonic server worked perfectly, thank you! What if it is a dynamic IP address though, how will that work?

Now I just need to figure out how to get my library to show up when I click the Subsonic icon, and how to add my Subsonic share to the Musicbee library so I can start using this effectively.

What IS working is that if I click on individual artist's folder I can only then see the music within it. If I click on the parent "Music" folder, or the parent "Subsonic" icon, none of the music shows up...effectively making the plugin next to useless for me. I can't click into each artist to manage my music. Also I asked how you added your Subsonic share to your MB Library because that's what your screenshot is showing...the Subsonic share within your Musicbee library and NOT the normal computer node location. Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
What IS working is that if I click on individual artist's folder I can only then see the music within it. If I click on the parent "Music" folder, or the parent "Subsonic" icon, none of the music shows up...effectively making the plugin next to useless for me.
And that's almost the opposite of what's happening to me.  I can expand the Music node under SubSonic, click on any artist, and play any track.  And while my playlists show, the contents of the playlists don't show.

I can't click into each artist to manage my music.
When you say "manage" do you mean "listen to music" or do you mean "tag editing, etc"?  You shouldn't manage your music via the SubSonic plugin.   Managing your music should be done from the library only. 

I assume you can listen to your music directly from SubSonic, correct?  (Did I ask this before?)  Since you can "see" your artists under the Music node from within MB, it would appear that the plugin is connecting with SubSonic.  And while I appreciate MiDWaN stepping up to take over development of the plugin, providing fixes for v2.5 is, in my opinion, a waste of time as that version is at it's end of life.  Steven is no longer supporting it.  I feel MiDWaN's time would be better spent trying to get the plugin working with v3.  Steven said he fixed the issue that was on the MB side, so it would appear (I'm not a developer, so I don't know for sure) that the remaining issue(s) are on the plugin side.

Also I asked how you added your Subsonic share to your MB Library because that's what your screenshot is showing...the Subsonic share within your Musicbee library and NOT the normal computer node location. Thanks.

What you see at top "Library - phred"  in the screenshot is the header of the left side panel.  SubSonic will only live in the computer node.  Here's another shot with the other nodes collapsed:

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

minotza

What IS working is that if I click on individual artist's folder I can only then see the music within it. If I click on the parent "Music" folder, or the parent "Subsonic" icon, none of the music shows up...effectively making the plugin next to useless for me.
And that's almost the opposite of what's happening to me.  I can expand the Music node under SubSonic, click on any artist, and play any track.  And while my playlists show, the contents of the playlists don't show.

I can't click into each artist to manage my music.
When you say "manage" do you mean "listen to music" or do you mean "tag editing, etc"?  You shouldn't manage your music via the SubSonic plugin.   Managing your music should be done from the library only. 

I assume you can listen to your music directly from SubSonic, correct?  (Did I ask this before?)  Since you can "see" your artists under the Music node from within MB, it would appear that the plugin is connecting with SubSonic.  And while I appreciate MiDWaN stepping up to take over development of the plugin, providing fixes for v2.5 is, in my opinion, a waste of time as that version is at it's end of life.  Steven is no longer supporting it.  I feel MiDWaN's time would be better spent trying to get the plugin working with v3.  Steven said he fixed the issue that was on the MB side, so it would appear (I'm not a developer, so I don't know for sure) that the remaining issue(s) are on the plugin side.

Also I asked how you added your Subsonic share to your MB Library because that's what your screenshot is showing...the Subsonic share within your Musicbee library and NOT the normal computer node location. Thanks.

What you see at top "Library - phred"  in the screenshot is the header of the left side panel.  SubSonic will only live in the computer node.  Here's another shot with the other nodes collapsed:

When I said "I can't click into each artist to manage my music" I just meant that I can't be clicking into each artist to manage my music effectively, I would need for my entire Subsonic library to show up when I click the Subsonic icon. By manage I just mean play, group, add to playlists, ect. I will eventually want to tag right from the Subsonic share but I can wait for that. I have the Subsonic Musicbee plugin connected to Subsonic just fine, and I can also "expand the Music node under SubSonic, click on any artist, and play any track" HOWEVER I cannot click on the parent node and play any track, which is what should be happening. No one can manage their library by clicking into each artist's folder individually. I understand 2.5 is no longer supported, I'm using 3.0 now but all of the problems I'm describing are still present.

phred

• Global Moderator
Okay, I'm understanding your issue a little more now.

But as I stated earlier, I don't think tagging from within the SubSonic node is a good idea (or even possible.)  If (when) SS is seeing your MB library and playlists, I think tagging and creating playlists would be better done from within MB's library.  I don't think it was ever the intent for the plugin to be used as an extension of the manager but someone (Steven?) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just as an aside, you do know that you can export your MB playlists, correct?  And from within SS you can point to the exported playlists directory and have them appear in SS.  I have SS scan for music and playlist changes once every 24 hours.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MiDWaN

I apologize for my slow responses, I am currently a bit occupied with work these days and didn't have time to look into this in depth.

Once I get the chance, I'll come back with more! :)

PS: The Subsonic node should (eventually) show ALL content, including all the subfolders. When you click on it, it will recursively try to scan through all the folders and subfolders it finds, and populate the list in the end. The results are also cached locally, to avoid this sort of scan happening again the next time you open it. However, I have noticed also that sometimes it does not quite behave ideally (no feedback during scanning, no proper refresh when it's finished - instead, you need to click somewhere else and back to trigger a refresh). It's also quite slow while doing this.

This is an area I am planning to improve, but it will probably take some time during testing/changing/testing again before we get to a better solution. All the feedback you can provide, the more detailed the better, would definitely help in that direction.

If at all possible, I would prefer if you could open issues on Github directly where these are tracked, flagged accordingly (e.g. bug, enhancement, etc) and resolved. If you can't, that's fine as I am also monitoring this thread of course. ;-)

phred

• Global Moderator
I apologize for my slow responses, I am currently a bit occupied with work these days and didn't have time to look into this in depth.

Thanks for the update.  And I certainly understand how life sometimes gets in the way.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

minotza

Okay, I'm understanding your issue a little more now.

But as I stated earlier, I don't think tagging from within the SubSonic node is a good idea (or even possible.)  If (when) SS is seeing your MB library and playlists, I think tagging and creating playlists would be better done from within MB's library.  I don't think it was ever the intent for the plugin to be used as an extension of the manager but someone (Steven?) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just as an aside, you do know that you can export your MB playlists, correct?  And from within SS you can point to the exported playlists directory and have them appear in SS.  I have SS scan for music and playlist changes once every 24 hours.

Well, I saw that you can choose the Subsonic share as a monitored folder in Musicbee preferences. But, it doesn't currently work. So I got to thinking that if it was developed more I could just choose my Subsonic share as my Musicbee library, therefore not using the Subsonic share through the computer node, and instead having it just be my main library. I would be able to edit the tags at that point too.

However, all that is moot for now if I can just get the Subsonic icon in the computer node to populate...at that point I would just use that as my main library.

MidWaN, I tested using a parent folder (Music Folder) and sub folder (Album) with 7 mp3s and it still won't populate for me, so I can confirm there is a problem over and beyond slowness. I will post everything in the github when I get a chance.

minotza

PS: The Subsonic node should (eventually) show ALL content, including all the subfolders. When you click on it, it will recursively try to scan through all the folders and subfolders it finds, and populate the list in the end. The results are also cached locally, to avoid this sort of scan happening again the next time you open it. However, I have noticed also that sometimes it does not quite behave ideally (no feedback during scanning, no proper refresh when it's finished - instead, you need to click somewhere else and back to trigger a refresh). It's also quite slow while doing this.

This is an area I am planning to improve, but it will probably take some time during testing/changing/testing again before we get to a better solution. All the feedback you can provide, the more detailed the better, would definitely help in that direction.

If at all possible, I would prefer if you could open issues on Github directly where these are tracked, flagged accordingly (e.g. bug, enhancement, etc) and resolved. If you can't, that's fine as I am also monitoring this thread of course. ;-)

Hey, any plans on troubleshooting this? My music still won't show up if I click on the main subsonic node. Just wondering if you are aware/working on a fix, thanks!

minotza

Hey, any plans on troubleshooting this? My music still won't show up if I click on the main subsonic node. Just wondering if you are aware/working on a fix, thanks!

If you could give any tips or areas where I should look for errors that would help too. I have basic programming knowledge and would to get this thing working on my if I can. I just need to know which part of the code would causing an error. Thanks for any help on this.

Christopher Dillon

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

I have just installed MusicBee 2.5.5804 on two systems running Windows 8.1, and subsonic 6.0 (build 830afc).

Everything works perfectly, except playback of flac files, which follows this exact pattern.

I have tried reinstallling MusicBee and the Susbsonic plug in without success.

Thanks in advance

Christopher Dillon

phred

• Global Moderator
Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
The plugin needs to be updated.  Steven (MB developer and creator of the SubSonic plugin) doesn't have the time to support the plugin any longer.  Someone (MiDWaN) showed interest in reworking it, but there's been very little progress as far as making it work as it had in the past..  Personally, I consider the plugin dead.

You can go back in this thread to read what MiDWaN has done.  Start here http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3620.msg104574#msg104574

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Christopher Dillon

Thanks for the update, Phred.

It's a shame that this plugin is dead.

Other than the issue that I described, the plugin works well and MusicBee is a great addition to Subsonic

MiDWaN

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know, there's a new version out: v2.2.

This version adds an improvement:
- Will now notify the user if a "ping" response from the Subsonic server is not successful, and allow the option to save the settings anyway, instead of silently reverting to the last saved ones. Fixes Issue #7

You can grab it from the normal Plugins page: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Subsonic_Client
Or the Github page directly: https://github.com/midwan/MB_SubSonic/releases

Meanwhile, there are currently two more issues open on Github: https://github.com/midwan/MB_SubSonic/issues
If you have a problem, I would like to kindly ask you to report it there so we can keep track of things in a good way. I cannot monitor this forum very frequently and things might get missed. :)

PS: No, it's not quite dead, I just don't have much free time lately due to family obligations.