Author Topic: Configuring the Layout  (Read 26266 times)

Greb

MB is a really nice music player. But (for now) it has a little problem: layout is really hard to configure. Probably that'll be solved in the future.

Until that moment, I think it would be a good idea to upload screenshots and instructions to set up MB that way. I'll be posting some ones when I want to make a break but, of course, everybody is invited to do so.

This is a really nice layout I love:

To get it:

- Preferences > Layout > Now Playing panel > Right sidebar option checked
- Preferences > Layout > Now Playing panel / Configure panel > Show now playing list unchecked
- Preferences > Layout > Now Playing panel / Configure panel > Show Artwork unchecked
- Preferences > Layout > Now Playing panel / Configure panel > Show Lyrics panel checked, below Track details
- Preferences > Layout > Now Playing panel / Configure panel > Show track details checked, artwork above fields (size 300 px)
- Preferences > Now Playing > Now playing information > Show information for the playing artist in the bottom panel
    (that way you have one arrow in the center panel, at the bottom right corner, if you press it the artist information is showed)

If the now playing list is at the right and you don't want to have it there, go to the contextual menu in 'Track information'>Configure Layout>Now playing list>Hide playing list.

To show the 'now playing list' in the center panel the easiest way is:
1. Open a new tab with the icon (a folder with a '+' sign)
2. In the left panel go to 'Playlists' and select 'Now playing'

In case you want to use the Library Explorer to browse your collection, that way:

1. Go to the left panel. Then look at the right bottom corner. There is a arrow there.
2. Press the arrow and the Library Explore will open.

Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:35:13 AM by Greb

Greb

Winamp/Aimp style:

1. Go to View > Now Playing Panel > Show in a Floating window.

2. In the window that appears, select the contextual menu, and then:

Configure Layout > Player controls > Show in player (top)

3. Now close the window

4. Open the mini player: View > Miniplayer

5. In mini player contextual menu select Window settings > Top (that docks the mini player to the top)

6. If you press the icon at the right of the mini player (the one which looks like a list) then the now playing list opens. It show look as in the image.

Steven

• Administrator
Also check out the Quick Layout dialog which can be opened from the View menu

it comes with a set of predefined configurations, which can then tweak by clicking Customise...
Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:18:59 AM by Steven

Greb

The playlist in the right panel:

Go to Preferences > Layout > Now playing panel > Configure panel and set:

- Panel arrangement: Checked with 'show all panels vertically'
- Show artwork panel cheked checked with 'show artwork in the left sidebar'
- Show lyrics panel and show track details panel unchecked.

The playlist should appear in the right panel, if it doesn't go to the contextual menu in the right panel: Configure Layout > Now playing list > Show in this panel

If it still doesn't appear it's probably because it's open in a tab in the center panel: close it and it'll appear in the right panel.

Go to the player and open the contextual menu, select 'Display in the right panel (top)'

That's all. Easy, isn't it?  ;D

To browse among the songs, a good option is to show the Track Browser and the Track Detail.

So, starting from the previous layout:

1. Open a new tab and select the 'Music Library' in the left panel.
1. Hide the left panel with the icon at the bottom left.
2. With the other icon in red in the image select the 'Track Browser' and 'Track Detail'.

And you have it.
Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:13:51 PM by Greb

VX

Thanks, Greb  :) I think your how-to will be appreciated  :)

Greb

Home Theater style:

In visualizer, select 'Artist pictures'. Check on the artist pictures settings.

The select 'Show Visualizer'

If you want to use the 'party mode' (locking down) do it now, but don't select fullscreen (it would give one error). Anyway, even not selecting 'fullscreen' it goes that way when you maximize.

If the player is at the bottom of the screen change it to the right panel (top or bottom, as you prefer). Otherwise it gives problems.

Now select View > Now Playing panel > Show in a floating window.

In the playlist that appears select the player's contextual menu. Go to Configure Layout > Track information and select show in the panel (compressed).

If the player didn't appear use the contextual menu and select Configure Layout > Player controls > Show in this panel.

That should work  :)

Roadrunner

Thank you, Greb for your visualizations.

I have one general question: If I finally have a few layouts, with the needed columns including column widths, can I save the whole bench to the quick layout or another place? So that I can restore it easily without thinking about the many steps needed to get it back...

VX

I have one general question: If I finally have a few layouts, with the needed columns including column widths, can I save the whole bench to the quick layout or another place? So that I can restore it easily without thinking about the many steps needed to get it back...

Sorry to say, but there is no a simple way to save the layouts (or I couldn't find it)  :(. I think you should post the idea to the Wishlist.
If user defined layouts are stored in separate files or there is another option to export the customized layout, Greb could update every screenshot in this topic with a proper file so that everyone could download and use it easily  :)

Conure

Thank you, Greb, for posting your layouts and instructions!  Much appreciated.

I also would like to see the feature that would save layouts.

Roadrunner

Thank you, Greb, for posting your layouts and instructions!  Much appreciated.

I also would like to see the feature that would save layouts.

Hi Conure

Meanwhile you can, look at: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2983.msg16746#msg16746

jlarrym

Using the latest beta. Go to View, Saved Settings, Save Layout Settings To.

I haven't tried this feature out, but it might serve your needs.

Greb

Using the latest beta. Go to View, Saved Settings, Save Layout Settings To.

I haven't tried this feature out, but it might serve your needs.

I have to check that....

musika

@Greb,

Liked your layout. Thanks for the instructions.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm going to start working on a thorough layout configuration/locking/saving guide for the wiki.  Can you all point me to existing resources in this regard?  There's still a lot that I don't think I even know.  (Once I have a readable draft, I'll offer it for input, too...)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

d4k

Great topic! I'm using exactly 2nd one from 1st post now ;)