Author Topic: [SOLVED] <Artists: Performer> in different formats for different file types  (Read 3107 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Don't know if this qualifies as a true bug or not.
Using artist: role/ instrument splitter
if a FLAC file they get saved in PERFORMER tag in format artist (role)
if a MP3 file the get saved in MUSICIAN CREDITS tag in format artist:role;
they can both be accessed from <Artists: Performer> for virtual tags, etc but as they are still read in those differing formats, you now have to put in extra steps to check file extensions and use different formulas to use things like $Split, $Replace, etc
Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:38:40 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
if a FLAC file they get saved in PERFORMER tag in format artist (role)
if a MP3 file the get saved in MUSICIAN CREDITS tag in format artist:role;

Both of those formats are 100% correct according to their respective standards, so definitely not a bug. Maybe a wishlist item?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

Both of those formats are 100% correct according to their respective standards, so definitely not a bug. Maybe a wishlist item?

Yes true to saving to their respective formats, but definately a bug for not working internally in MB in same way as they did pre this 3.1 change.
I don't think restoring lost functionality should be a wishlist item.

Steven

• Administrator
the "artists: performer" display tag just shows the aggregation of artist tags marked with the role "performer"
in v3.1, its been enhanced to additionally display artist tags where a role/instrument is entered so its new functionality.

I am ok with formatting for display these new tag values as "Artist (role/instrument)" for mp3 files in <Artists: Performer>. I don't think converting from "Artist (role/instrument)" to "role/instrument: artist" would work as well because its really free form text in flac tags so the user can really enter anything

Bee-liever

I am ok with formatting for display these new tag values as "Artist (role/instrument)" for mp3 files in <Artists: Performer>.
If that means we can go back to accessing the artist (role/instrument) data via a single virtual tag formula for different file types, then that would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

• Administrator
as far as i can tell the artist and role are being formatted consistently as "Artist (role)".
Would it be possible to send me a zip of one file of each format where its inconsistent?

edit:
before you do that try rescanning the mp3 file. Maybe you added the files with an older version that didnt do the formatting correctly
Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:57:09 PM by Steven

Bee-liever

as far as i can tell the artist and role are being formatted consistently as "Artist (role)".
for display purposes , that is correct.
I was trying to work out how they were formatted for MB's internal use, so I could use the data for virtual tags
But with some trial and error, and the new 'Prieview' function in the template editor, I worked it out.

Anything saved in the Multiple Artist Splitter that's not an Artist, Guest Artist or Remixer goes into the Artists: Performer string.
If the role/ instrument: column is selected as Performer only the artist goes in.
If the role/ instrument: column is selected as a role or instrument (or anything else you want to type there) is saved in the string as artist (role/ instrument).
So when you save something like this

internally MB saves that info in a string
Code: "Artists: Performer"
Edvard Grieg; Moscow Soloists (ensemble); Yuri Bashmet (director)
and this string is what you are working with virtual tags, naming templates, etc.

Now all I have to do is work out the regex part of $RxReplace(<field>,regex-pattern,replace-text) to extract the entries that only include (role/ instrument) in them (to give me just a list of the musicians) and I'll be happy camper  :)
Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:41:12 AM by Bee-liever