Author Topic: How to avoid clipping?  (Read 2337 times)

OldGrantonian

I have created my first playlist of 78 tracks.

I normalized using the instructions here:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15833.0

I normalized (a) on track basis, and (b) on album basis, with the slider set at the default value (0dB)

5 tracks (all from the same album) had clipping values from -0.2dB to -0.5dB. All other tracks were "OK".

Can someone please confirm that I can simply re-run the normalization, using a slider setting of -0.5dB.

Thanks.

hiccup

Yes, that's all you need to do.
You can do a re-run of the whole album, or you could only check the 'clipping' songs, and re-run track normalisation for those at -0.5.

Note that when the pane displays the warning and values for possible clipping, the values have been written.
So the 'Proceed' button is then factually 'Re-run normalisation', and 'Close' should be considered as 'Accept the written values'.
I remember that confusing me too in the beginning.

OldGrantonian

Thanks hiccup.

That's all very useful advice.

ninjaman81

Hi Hiccup,

You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. As it's somewhat related, I thought I would ask a follow up question that others may also be wondering that find this post. I understand the clipping concept to be something along the lines of "Clipping is the peak being chopped instead of being pushed down which compression / limiting does". What I'm trying to understand is, if I am running the Volume Analysis tool and I'm putting in an adjustment of a negative number (e.g., -1.8 dB), which is it alerting me of a potential clipping situation. I would assume that only applies if I am increasing the gain values with a positive number between 0 and 6 dB. Since I'm trying to reduce it further than what it is (89 dB), does that mean clipping is occurring already on those tracks with no adjustment of the gain?

I don't know if I'm making any sense or my question is coming through clearly, but any wisdom you can part would be much appreciated.

hiccup

What I'm trying to understand is, if I am running the Volume Analysis tool and I'm putting in an adjustment of a negative number (e.g., -1.8 dB), which is it alerting me of a potential clipping situation. I would assume that only applies if I am increasing the gain values with a positive number between 0 and 6 dB.
You are not the only MusicBee user that was or is confused by this.
The cause is that MusicBee uses '0' as an indicator, suggesting that it 'will do nothing' in that position.

Which is incorrect and misleading.
What it actually does, is setting the perceived loudness to -18 LUFS.
Which is not particularly soft in volume, so clipping can surely occur.

See here for some explanation on the matter.
Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 09:10:29 PM by hiccup